Skippers, Virginia: The Perfect Southern Accent

Goodearthpeanutcompany

(Photo by Art Meripol)

I grew up in a small town in Alabama. I have a Southern accent that digs deep or floats shallow, depending on the situation. I thought I knew Southern accents, until I met Lindsey Vincent at the Good Earth Peanut Company while researching a story out this month on the best stops off I-95.

Lindsey was born and raised in the small town of Skippers, VA.

I inhaled his chocolate-dipped peanut brittle when I visited, but what really stuck with me was the way he pronounced "house."  And "about." He’s been accused of being from Australia, but the truth is that his accent is not uncommon in many of the communities around the southeastern corner of Virginia.

Listen and tell me what you think. One of my friends who heard it said Lindsey sounds a little like Jimmy Carter. Another peanut farmer. Very interesting…

COMMENTS

1. Nicole

Meade, I’m from right outside of Richmond, VA, I’m still a teenager & I have an accent. Lots of kids I know have accents who are from around here too…it just depends on who they’re around. For example, for me personally, I have a combination of Tidewater & Appalachian VA accent because I have family on both sides. However, my best friend is a Yankee but her sister was born & has lived here her entire life. She sounds like a Yankee though because of who she’s around most of the time.

February 3, 2011 at 1:05 am
  2. nonie Gustafson

I would like to know if you have a website to buy some peanuts and oriental trail mix? we bought some from you last year but lost the website. Thank You Nonie Gustafson

January 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm
  3. tory burch

the tory burch handbags is so cool,thank you for your tory buch shoes.

December 5, 2010 at 2:24 am
  4. Tanner

Happy to hear you like the peanuts, Sally. Yeah, Good Earth has great stuff. You’ve gotta make the trip sometime to experience it all in person.

July 8, 2008 at 4:15 pm
  5. Sally Smith

I love his accent. It is so soothing to the ear. Also, I ordered some of Good Earth’s peanuts and they are the best I have ever eaten!!!!!!!!!! I must make a trip to Skippers.

July 5, 2008 at 4:44 pm
  6. Matt

Both clips are awesome.

June 4, 2008 at 2:29 pm
  7. Meade

Richmonders have their own “Tidewater accent” But like most Southern cities, you just don’t hear it from young people.
    I have a “Northern Virginia” accent- which is often described as “Southern-Lite”. Loudoun County, but so many northerners and midwesterners have moved in, so most people think Northern Virginians sound like Yankees.
    Here’s a clip of my Richmond Grandmother talking to “Miss Janey”- she was a maid that worked for my family for years, as well as a close friend who just turned 100 this year. Let me know what you think..

June 4, 2008 at 2:09 pm
  8. Tanner

Good call, Meade.
    I wrote Mr. Vincent (although I should have called him just to hear him talk), and he figures that his accent is a thick version of the Tidewater. Thicker, because he’s closer to the eastern shore of Virginia.
    Then he writes jokingly, “Of course, people from Richmond and North just consider it a ‘country’ accent.”

May 20, 2008 at 1:19 pm
  9. Meade

It sounds Tidewater Virginia to me. Virginians usually don’t have the “garden variety” type southern accents you find in TN, or other places. Yes, every southern state has their own accent, but Virginia accents are unique. Its much more distinctive.

May 11, 2008 at 10:07 pm
  10. TB

Love it! Great accent – both of you.

May 6, 2008 at 3:12 pm