The Best Little Catfish Joint in Childersburg

Catfish Landing Sign

(Photo by Lisa Shaw)

If you’re on the lookout for a healthy meal, low in saturated fat and cholesterol, I’m afraid I can’t recommend the Catfish Landing in Childersburg, Alabama. But if you’re in the mood for some solid Southern fried catfish and homemade slaw and hush puppies, check out this quaint little stop on the banks of the Coosa River approximately 35 miles outside Birmingham.

Catfish Landing Entree

The menu is standard: fried pickles with ranch for starters, fried shrimp or catfish with cheese grits for an entrĂ©e, and a jug of sweet tea to wash it all down. I heard rumor they serve an excellent banana pudding for dessert, but I didn’t make it that far. My advice? Enjoy the basket of free hush puppies, but don’t overdo it. Slow and steady wins the race.

While you’re in the area…

Make a night of it and check out the Harpersville Drive In movie theater just a few miles up the road. Tickets are just $5 per person on the weekends.

View Larger Map

COMMENTS

1. Lisa

Best hush puppies I’ve ever had, in any region of the country. So good!

May 28, 2008 at 10:53 am
  2. Tanner

Maybe I’m partial, because I grew up in North Alabama, but I’d argue that the fried catfish up that way (a far clip from Childersburg) is the best in the state.
    My favorites:
    Mud Creek Bar-B-Que, Hollywood, AL
    -A local institution since 1946, this joint sits fittingly on the banks of peaceful Mud Creek. In spite of the name, the catfish is king. It’s fried in a light cornmeal-based batter and accompanied by buttery hush puppies and sweet White Slaw.
    The Southland Restaurant, Sheffield, AL
    -Catfish fillets, coated with a cracker-meal based batter, fry up light and flaky, and you can’t leave without a slice of creamy homemade lemon pie.

May 29, 2008 at 6:31 am
  3. Matt

Thanks, Tanner.
    I added those two to the map.
    Any other favorite Southern catfish joints out there?

May 29, 2008 at 7:29 am
  4. TB

Taylor Grocery in Taylor, Mississippi…and not just because I share the name. This old mom-n-pop (mom sold it a few years back to neighbors), the pineboard porch looks like it hasn’t changed in decades. BYOB and bluegrass on the weekends. A Fave of this magazine and Ole Miss fans.

June 3, 2008 at 5:12 pm
  5. Matt

I added Taylor Grocery & Restaurant to the map – which is shaping up to be a pretty nice potential road trip.

June 4, 2008 at 8:50 am
  6. Bulk sms software

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives information that is needed on this critical topic. Hard to find such blogs. Keep it up. Keep blogging.

May 25, 2010 at 1:33 am
  7. Mike

Until you have eaten Swamp John’s catfish in Red Bay, don’t think you have eaten the best! He has it down to a science; in fact it is so good, he has a tractor-trailer with a mobile kitchen that he pulls all over North Alabama to provide fish/fixin’s for fund-raisers. My wife and I look for the signs for upcoming “fish suppers”!

July 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm
  8. email marketing

This post ia very intresting. This blog is design with new community.

November 2, 2011 at 5:54 am