Hat King of San Antonio

Paris Hatters, North Broadway in San Antonio

Abe Cortez - Paris Hatters

Eighty years plus in the hat business is long enough to fill Paris Hatters with a week’s worth of anecdotes. For delightful confirmation, go meet the founder’s son, Abe Cortez, pictured here.

"It’s a simple little store," Abe says. "But I get all walks of life in here." Words roll off Abe Cortez’s tongue as easily as a smile forms on his face. Yes, he’s a salesman. Yes, he’s a talker. Yes, he’s a diamond-studded-and-gold Texan. But, he’s likely the nicest guy in all of San Antonio – and that’s the truth no matter who you are.

Rich and Famous

When billionaire Ross Perot first walked in the store, the former independent Presidential candidate said, "I’m Ross Perot." The friendly shop owner replied, "Well, I’m Abe the hatter."

When boxing baron Don King strode in and said, "What about my hair?" Abe simply said, "We’ll just cut out the top of the hat above the ribbon."

When Bob Dylan stopped by – "Well, now that was a $10,000 day," Abe remembers. As we talk (mostly Abe), I get the distinct feeling that though my appearance at Paris means only a $30 day for him, he’s still in high spirits.

For fedoras, golf hats, and the perfect cowboy accessory – visit Paris Hatters. And stay awhile.

PARIS HATTERS
119 BROADWAY, DOWNTOWN
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78205
210-223-3453
(Google map)

Paris Hatters

COMMENTS

1. Jon- The DC Traveler

When I moved to San Antonio, I needed a “real” cowboy hat, to replace the “drug store” cowboy hat I had from Chicago. When I asked people where was the best place to get one, Paris Hatters was the place everyone mentioned. It’s a great place.

June 9, 2008 at 9:27 pm
  2. Janelle

Can I just say how amazing this top photo is? I mean, you’re mesmerized by the hats and then whoa! There’s the bear. Great item.

June 11, 2008 at 8:52 pm
  3. Coach handbags

I absolutely love this blog!!! I have recently became a twilight fan and this has helped me a lot. keep up your work, You’re awesome!

April 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm
  4. Air Jordan

Inside the ultimate evaluation, the challenging those who endure the difficult times do so for the reason that they’ve picked to react positively to their predicament. Hard occasions in no way last, but challenging people today do. Hard folks stick it out. Historical past teaches us that each challenge features a lifespan.

November 26, 2010 at 3:19 am
  5. San Antonio_girl

Recently came across youre stories.. Amazing! You have really described Texas to the “T”. I love reading what you have to say about my favorite state, my birthplace, my home. I just can’t believe you had to taste someone else’ tamales and not my great grandmothers.

May 19, 2011 at 3:47 am
  6. oakley

Your site is perfect. Great work, I liked. Always, there are many things interesting. And I just email this to my friend.

July 22, 2011 at 1:10 am
  7. Nora

Well, we did not have such a great experience when going in to Paris Hatters. We walked in and Abe was on the phone and did not have any sense of urgency to get off the phone to assist us. We asked for a “God Father” style hat and he said, “I don’t sell those in here, only BLACKS wear them you are going to find them down on the eastside of town”. I picked up a sense of racism with this comment especially the way that he said it. We went there after seeing an add in a book at the hotel we were staying at. Needless, to say we will NEVER be back in to this place. You may have some big named people visiting your store but, remember that all money spends the same and I am sure that you have taken some money from BLACK people before and had no problem doing so. Remember, with a name like “Abe Cortez” you may just get some type of racial remark at some time. You may look WHITE but, that name gives it all away. Remember, where you started, came from and where you are now and know that you did not get there by yourself……We ALL can be HUMBLED at some point in our lives….. What you have can all be taken away in a blink of an eye!!

May 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm