How to Cut Hydrangea Blooms

June 13, 2008 | By | Comments (9)

Q: When I cut a bouquet of French hydrangeas the flowers begin to wilt as soon as I put them in vase with cool water.  What can I do to correct this?    I want to enjoy them in the house.

A: Here’s the way to do it.

1. Cut hydrangea blooms early in the morning when it’s cool and blooms look fresh
2. Immediately after cutting, plunge hydrangea stems into cool water and bring inside
3. Heat water on the stove until it’s nearly boiling
4. After letting this water cool for a minute or two, place bottom inch of hydrangea stems in hot water for 30 seconds
5. Remove stems from hot water and place them in cool water
6. Enjoy the non-wilty flowers!

Let me know how it works. I am right only about 99% of the time and this could be that rare 1%.

Grumpy

Q: A day later and they are still fresh ……no wilting…….
….Thanks so much!

COMMENTS

1. Grumpy Gardener (His Magnificence)

Barbara,
    Wait to cut until the blooms are fully open. Sear the cut ends immediately with flame and then insert them into water. If you don’t, they wilt.

June 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm
  2. barbara morrill

I am new to hydrangea plantings I have beautiful blue and purple endless summer bushes. I am afraid I will cut the blossoms incorrectly although i would love to bring some blossoms indoors. Is there a rule of thumb to cutting these stems?

June 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm
  3. Grumpy Gardener (His Benevolence)

Sharon,
    The most likely reasons for hydrangras not blooming are too much shade, not enough water, and pruning at the wrong time. Heat and drought are the factors behind the quick fading blooms.

July 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm
  4. Sharon Demmin

What causes hydrangea blooms to fade so early in the summer? Thanks

July 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm
  5. Sharon Demmin

I have one hydrangea plant that did not bloom this summer. Why? Thanks

July 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm
  6. Grumpy Gardener (His Benevolence)

Kate,
    Cut off the old blooms as soon as they fade. Also keep the plants well-watered. If they dry out, they’ll go dormant and you won’t get any more blooms.

July 18, 2010 at 10:34 am
  7. Kate

I have endless summer hydrangeas. Is there a particular way I should be cutting the blooms to ensure I will get more blooms throughout the season?

July 16, 2010 at 9:27 am
  8. Grumpy

How often are you watering and fertilizing them? Giving them too much of either gets you lots of leaves and few blooms.

June 26, 2008 at 8:08 am
  9. Janice Moore

Q: I live in Berry, AL and I have several lantana plants that are several years old and use to bloom beautifuly. As the years have gone by they bloom less and less. They get lots of sun and are in good dirt that drains good. Do you have a good tip to get them to bloom again? Thanks so much.

June 25, 2008 at 12:21 pm