Bermuda Grass Invading Monkey Grass

June 30, 2008 | By | Comments (6)

Q: 1. Do you know of ANY way to get (and keep) Bermuda grass out of monkey (mondo, whatever) grass?

A: 1. Try spot-treating the Bermuda with Ortho Grass-Be-Gon according to label directions. You can find it at any home and garden center. The chemical it contains kills only grasses, not broadleaf plants. I think it should be safe on monkey grass, but test it out on a small area first to make sure, as I couldn’t see any mention of liriope or mondo on the label. The only way to keep Bermuda from spreading into monkey grass is to not have them growing beside each other.

Happy hunting,
Grumpy

COMMENTS

1. Dianne Hollifield

When is the best time to trim Rugosa Roses? Mine have stopped blooming now, and have really gotten tall. I live in zone 8, Kings Mountain, North Carolina.

July 3, 2008 at 1:59 pm
  2. Grumpy

Most rugosa roses bloom off and on all summer, so go ahead and prune them as you like. However, the spent flowers give rise to very showy red rose hips that are loaded with vitamin C. So you may want to leave some of those on.

July 15, 2008 at 7:16 pm
  3. Denise Shackelford

we have a bed of vinca minor under some oak trees and it is being invaded by monkey grass (which we’ve tried to dig up for years) some of the monkey grass was apparently still under our azaleas and has crept out and now covering quite a bit of area. is there anything we use to kill the m.g. that won’t kill the other stuff too?? thanks!

May 3, 2009 at 4:49 pm
  4. Grumpy Gardener

I don’t know of any chemical that will kill only the monkey grass. I think you just have to dig. If any Grumpian out there has a better solution, please chime in.

May 4, 2009 at 1:38 pm
  5. GT

“Spot” test some Roundup on your monkey grass to determine if it is affected If not, then Roundup might be your answer. I have some monkey grass that I’ve been trying to get rid of for several years, and have found that several treatments with Roundup did not work. I’ve read similar stories from other individuals wanting to banish their monkey grass.

March 16, 2010 at 3:17 pm
  6. Alex

You can also just BRUSH on Roundup to the leaves of the monkey grass.

April 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm