World’s Worst Pizza: Wilmington, DE

Worstpizza_3

There is only one best, right?  It is the ultimate.  Nothing better.

By that rule, it is impossible to have more than one world’s best burger or margarita or she crab soup.  And yet, how many times have you opened a menu to discover the words "World’s Best" in bolded, fancy font?

Even when logic reveals to us that such a bombastic designation is merely a baiting ploy by the management, how often do we find ourselves gravitating to that one flaunted dish?

Marketing is not simple.  But simple marketing is brilliant.

There’s a cafe in Wilmington’s Little Italy called Pala’s.  Rather, there was a Pala’s.  Their carryout sign–a giant red-lettered white beacon exclaiming "World’s Worst Pizza"–caught my eye while on a recent trip to town.

Interest: piqued.

I walked around to the front of the building expecting the…uh…worst, and I guess I found it. Another sign, this one for a real estate company, hung in the window. The abandoned restaurant was for sale.  Turns out the pizza might not have been that bad, though.  From what I can dig up, they floured dough for 60 years before closing.

Truth is I was primed to order some slices from Pala’s Cafe simply because of the sign.

I mean, there is only one worst, right?

COMMENTS

1. hgallucio

he was probably tied to Mussolini and the Nazis.all Italian-American conservatives were or are.

November 18, 2014 at 12:07 pm
  2. Gary Walton

Very sorry to see this place is gone. Not only was the pizza great, but also the cheese steaks and Italian subs. When we loosecavplace like this, it simply can’t be replaced.

October 19, 2014 at 5:13 pm
  3. louis vuitton for sale

it’s so hard to give all people genuine smile .
    i always try and try to it .

September 13, 2011 at 2:32 am
  4. moncler outlet store

it’s so hard to give all people genuine smile .
    i always try and try to it .
    but it keep stay to hard .
    I’ll just try it !!

August 16, 2011 at 2:25 am
  5. air max 2009

ou were a joy when you were a child-always wanting to see and think “your way.” We are so proud of you! When I gave the usual magazine to friends at Christmas could not but to tell them that they have found a Diamond in your writing—–write more,more, and then more. This article says it all-loved it. Can’t wait to read them.Love from phila,ms.

June 16, 2011 at 11:14 am
  6. air max 2009

great , pizza is very nice.thank you for share

June 12, 2011 at 10:20 pm
  7. air max shoes

thank you for your good service!i will do the order again.

December 5, 2010 at 2:47 am
  8. frank

I lived around the block from this establishment and they had the best of all italian foods. I ate there quite often as the pizza was very very good and if u ask me they had the ultimate cheesesteak for the making. All italian ladies in the kitchen cooking in the 70’s and 80’s. Too bad they closed down,a well known resteraunt in the area.

October 30, 2010 at 8:38 pm
  9. Tanner

Yeah, I wish I had had a pizza there myself. All I can say is “Go Phillies!!!”

October 23, 2008 at 11:26 am
  10. c

My dad used to take me there for pick-up when I was nine or ten years old. It was excellent pizza and for a kid the sign was just hilarious. I just moved back to DE for work, and am disappointed to see your article, as I was googling to see if I could get a pizza for the World Series game on tv tonight. Alas.

October 22, 2008 at 3:48 pm