The feeling is urgent. Summer’s days are waning. It’s time to make the most of a quick beach getaway. I’ve never been one for lying on the sand like a chicken on a spit in the midday sun. Instead, I want to people-watch, shop, and find amusements.
Ocean City’s 3-mile long boardwalk may be the best oceanfront gawking spot in the country. Here are my top five reasons to make an end-of-the-season trip to the original OC.
1. The view: People everywhere. I feel like I’m in a Dr. Seuss book, with all manner of folks strolling and jogging, riding surreys and bicycles, and hopping on trams. Tall ones, short ones, fat ones, skinny ones, hip ones, square ones, old ones, young ones. Even today, when stuck in my office looking out on green trees instead of blue water, I’ve got the Boardwalk Webcam open on my desktop. Take a look for yourself. It refreshes every 5 seconds to show you who’s strutting their stuff: www.kiteloft.com/beach_webcam.asp
2. The Food: Hoity toity palates need not show up. Instead, indulge in some of the best junk food around: saltwater taffy from Dolles and the Candy Kitchen, freshmade ice cream from Dumsers, and Boardwalk Fries smothered in ketchup, of course.
3. The Buskers: I’m a sucker for anyone who’ll toss down a hat and perform for me. My faves this year: the fellow with the iguana—you can put him on your shoulder while he sings you a song; the kilt-wearing bagpipe player; and the violinist who makes me weep with his moving renditions from Phantom of the Opera
4. Trimpers Amusement rides: The carousel is a must—it’s been going around in circles since 1912, as is the Ferris wheel at night to see ships far out at sea
5. Last, but definitely not least–the beach. OC really has a lovely spit of sand with plenty of life guards for safe swimming.