When to Prune Loropetalum

September 5, 2008 | By | Comments (206)

Shrub
Q: Hi Grumpy Gardener,

I feel like I could describe myself this way also!!

How far back can a lorepetelum be cut/trimmed back? (I may have spelled the name of the plant incorectly-don’t hold it against me.) I bought such small plants years ago, and now they just grow so large if I don’t keep them trimmed!

Please advise about this plant!

Thanks,

Gardener in Georgia

A: Dear Aspiring To Be Grumpy,

Loropetalum is a fast-growing shrub that takes very well to pruning. It can even be sheared into a formal hedge or trained flat against a wall. You can cut it back as far as needed. However, now is not the time, because it sets flower buds in summer. If you trim it now, you won’t get any blooms in late winter and early spring. Wait to trim it until after it finishes blooming in spring.

Grumpy

COMMENTS

Laura,
    Cut it back now if you must. Just be aware that you’ll be reducing the number of spring flowers.

October 20, 2016 at 8:14 am
  2. Laura May

Is it alright to cut back our hugh (on Steroids) loropetelum now in October?

October 16, 2016 at 1:38 pm
  3. Grumpy Gardener

Pam,

Loropetalum responds to pruning very well. You can cut them as far back as you like and they will grow back with no problem.

May 20, 2016 at 1:48 pm
  4. Pam Stewart

Grumpy Gardner,
    I have loropetalum bushes in the flower gardens in front of my house for several years. The leaves are very pretty purple, look in side the bushes and there is nothing but bare branches. Also the bushes barely bloomed this spring, don’t know why. Ok, now the questions… How far back or down can they be “trimmed” in order to get new growth throughout the bushes with out killing them. They are large and overpowering in the flower beds, no room for anything else. HELP! Please?

May 18, 2016 at 4:46 pm
  5. Grumpy Gardener

Bev,

If your shrubs have leafed back out, there is nothing more to do. If the stems have died back, cut off the dead parts and let them grow back.

May 13, 2016 at 1:14 pm
  6. Bev Stroman

My loropetelum bloomed in March. Frost came and killed all blooms and turned all leaves brown. Shrubs are 6 ft. Tall. What can I do now.

May 13, 2016 at 7:55 am