Squirrel Problem? Fire Away!

October 28, 2008 | By | Comments (10)

Bulbplanters

Q: Grumpy Gardener,
I live in north Texas and am new to gardening in Texas. Last fall, I planted over 200 tulip bulbs. Daily when I would go out to my garden, bulbs would be dug up by squirrels. It was a constant battle, they would dig, I would replant. Any ideas how I can deter them?
Thanks.
Connie Cleveland
Granbury Texas

A: Maybe you should try putting down a layer of chicken wire over your bulb bed after you plant it. Anchor the wire so the squirrels can’t get under it. The flowers and foliage should be able to go up through the wire.

Oh, I had another thought which is so logical and so Texan. Shoot the little X%^&*#+s!
Grumpy

COMMENTS

1. Lianne

Or you could have Grumpy’s long-suffering cat, perhaps?

October 28, 2008 at 2:30 pm
  2. Grumpy

My cat is afraid of squirrels, the little wimp. I think this is because my wife had him fixed. Not surprisingly, I am afraid of squirrels too.

October 28, 2008 at 10:09 pm
  3. Mother Nature’s Garden

Heh, heh, heh!
    I got tired of planting snacks for the little critters. I’ll buy some from the florist.

October 29, 2008 at 5:59 am
  4. Linda Yates

Squirrels don’t dig my plants up so much, they just dig dozens of holes in all my borders, planters, even the smallest pots! I can testify that the oily spray that is supposed to deter them only leaves sticky oil all over everything, and nearly killed my small potted rose bush (thankfully, it recovered). Stupidly, I sprayed my patio furniture, because I got tired of the squirrels running across it and leaving tracks. Now I wish I had the tracks back & not the oily, sticky film! Also, the fox urine didn’t work, either. In fact, the suirrels dug holes in the planter right beside the container of fox urine. And my neighbor puts out corn ears and other food for them!

December 2, 2008 at 10:48 pm
  5. Grumpy Gardener

Maybe squirrel urine chases away foxes. I haven’t seen any around lately. Does anyone know what kind of urine chases off the guy who reads my power meter? I’d like to load up on him!

December 3, 2008 at 1:02 pm
  6. Mary Spallacci

I had alot of problems with squirrls digging up and taking the bulbs of my tulips. Someone told me to make a round or square box of chicken wire (round is easier to make) and plant the bulbs in there and put dirt on top of them before you secure the top to the chicken wire box. Never had a problem after that.

April 7, 2009 at 3:16 pm
  7. Grumpy Gardener

I’ve done the same thing. It works!

April 7, 2009 at 4:56 pm
  8. Janet Ladd

connie lost your phone #. #’s I have no longer work…
    Solution: BB Gun

April 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm
  9. Joelle Boope’

I live in a senior apartment complex in a suburb of Chicago. So far, there have been 8 (count them – eight) cars engines attacked by squirrels for a nest. After the first attack of one lady she was told to put deer urine (available for sale) all over her engine. She also put chicken wire to cover her engine. She did, 2 days later it was observed that squirrels were going in at the wheel well. Sure enough – a nest was found. They chewed the battery cap, the windshield washer cap, pulled wires through the chicken wire. Last year, because of the problem, the maintenance for the building caught the squirrels in traps, took them far away, got cited by the police department. This year its worse. DO NOT FEED SQUIRRELS! God takes care of them, just fine. Now- more suggestions, please!

November 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

Joelle,
    I think your police department is nuts. Trapping is illegal, but letting squirrels destroy cars is fine? Somebody up there needs a brain transplant. Suggest the donor be a squirrel.

November 27, 2012 at 10:02 am