Question of the Week — November 11, 2008

November 13, 2008 | By | Comments (12)

What Plant(s) Disappointed You Most This Year?

Was it something you did wrong or was it because the plant just stinks?

Tell fellow Grumpians your sad and pathetic story. You’ll feel better.

COMMENTS

1. Harley S. Poteet

I bought something called a “money plant.” I cared for it real good with lots of watering, fertilizing, and other such, but it never did grow any money, just worthless seedpods the bank wouldn’t take. I were cheated.

November 14, 2008 at 3:18 pm
  2. pc

Every snapdragon I have ever planted has kicked the bucket. Pansies-lovely Violas-beautiful Snapdragons-dead dead dead in a matter of weeks. They actually cower behind the other flats of flowers when I go whistling through the nurseries and greenhouses, and sighs of relief have been heard when I pass them by and head for the violas and pansies…

November 14, 2008 at 10:38 pm
  3. Grumpy Gardener

Anybody know what’s going on with pc’s snapdragons? One plant I have never been able to grow is plume celosia. Oh, those red, yellow, and orange things look great every year on the cover of the Park’s Seed catalog. But plant them in my garden and it’s like watching the glass ball drop on New Year’s Eve at Times Square. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6…….

November 15, 2008 at 6:44 am
  4. Connie

Bunnies ate all my pansies and mums. Is there any way to keep this from happening next year?

November 21, 2008 at 11:59 am
  5. Grumpy Gardener

Try spraying your plants according to label directions with an animal repellent. Two products based on natural, biodegradable ingredients are DeFence and Hot Pepper Wax. The first is made from eggs and apparently tastes and smells bad to animals. (Frankly, after observing animal behavior, it’s hard for me to believe that anything smells bad to an animal.) The second is made from hot pepper. Eating something sprayed with that is like eating 12-alarm chili. You can look for these products locally or order them online from Yardiac (www2.yardiac.com).

November 22, 2008 at 7:55 am
  6. Pam

Okay, so maybe this is more about a pest than a plant… I’ve tried a dozen different tricks to prevent squash borers from killing my plants over the years. This year was no exception…they got my beautiful plants once again. Big, prickly green leaves and huge, orange, trumpet-shaped blooms fell to this menace once again. This year, I also planted pumpkins…they hit those after they killed off the squash and zucchini. I try to garden organically…but these guys make me want to invest in chemical warfare!

December 2, 2008 at 2:35 pm
  7. sandra stucker

I purchased an endless summer
    hydrangea and it disappointed me that it did not bloom as much as my old fashion hydrangea did. It wilted everyday and needed to be watered sometimes twice a day.

December 2, 2008 at 4:17 pm
  8. Linda Yates

Peony. I planted one in a very large pot, as I didn’t have a suitable place for it in the ground (not enough light). It sat and sat, didn’t grow one cm, and finally at the end of summer, it crumped. Why, oh, why?

December 2, 2008 at 10:53 pm
  9. marjoycek

I have 2 African Violets that bloomed like crazy for months then stopped. I used special fertilizer, watered carefully,even repotted with potting mix especially for african violets. I get tons of leaves but no blooms. What am I doing wrong? Please advise.

December 3, 2008 at 12:54 am
  10. Kathleen

Just a comment on your endless summer hydrangea–it should do better next year. The first year you plant a perennial it just kinda sits there. The following year it takes off. I bought one this year also. I have a lace cap hydrangea that I planted 2 years ago and the 2nd yr it just bloomed its head off. Patience is the key.

December 3, 2008 at 9:32 am
  11. Grumpy Gardener

OK, OK, I take a couple days off to be with the family for Thanksgiving and all these people start having problems….
    About African violets — These plants normally alternate blooming and resting phases. Sounds like yours is resting right now. Watch that you don’t give it too much nitrogen fertilizer or you’ll get all leaves. Give it plenty of bright, indirect light and it should resume blooming shortly.
    About the peony — Any number of things could have gone wrong, but the most likely culprit is water. Peonies need good drainage, so if the soil stayed too wet, that’s curtains for your peony. On the other hand, if it dried out, the result would be the same.

December 3, 2008 at 1:13 pm
  12. Mary

I purchased 3 Tequila Sunrise Coreopsis, a variegated variety. It was supposed to be heat and sun and bad soil tolerant. I give it water when needed and all died

December 3, 2008 at 9:46 pm