The Santa Cause: Fredericksburg, VA

Santa

Local Santa, Santa Claus (see Retraction post), loves sharing the joy of Christmas. photo by Scott Suchman

I sent our photographer, Scott Suchman, a rather detailed shot list last December for my story, "Shop Fredericksburg."  I gave him specific locations and angles I thought would work.  The main theme, though, was to convey Chrismas in this charming Virginia town.

I never asked him to find Santa Claus.

Scott captured everything I requested and more.  I saw the shops I wanted, the angles I liked, and holiday lights.  Then I saw Santa.  Santa holding a baby.  Santa hugging a woman clutching a cup of coffee.  Santa posing with a family.  Jolly.  Jolly.  Jolly.

I called Scott.  I said, "Scott, what’s the story on Santa?"

He had no idea.  Said that St. Nick was just roving all over town.

I consulted my sources.  Fredericksburg actually has dueling Santas.  Two guys. Two red suits.  Two white beards.

"It’s not like they’re mudwrestling or anything," said one local.  "We thought there might be a problem at first, but now it’s just come one, come all."

That’s a good thing.  Because word on the street is that one of the Santas is retired FBI and used to be the White House Santa.  I imagine he knows elves who know elves.  That he’s privy to why Rudolph’s nose is red and can locate the file on the 34th Street Conspiracy.  He’s not pictured above.  Above you find a Santa named Santa (see Retraction post).

I could not make this up.

COMMENTS

1. Matt

I like.
    Frankly, I’m always suspicious when there’s only one Santa in town, when one jolly old elf has a monopoly on merriment. Doesn’t sit well with me.
    Competition drives innovation; joyful, joyful innovation.

November 20, 2008 at 12:51 pm
  2. elf laur

I hate to think that this is what our town thinks about Santa…We fight? Yes, One of the Santas was relieved of his town duties, but refused to go.. This was several years ago. Now there is one.

November 20, 2008 at 5:55 pm
  3. elf laur

Please key the “retraction” from the Southern Living Editor and review comments section. This is an attempt by the North Pole News Correspondent to due DAMAGE CONTROL. “Santa Cause” has the Elf population in a fury! They have threated to walk off the job over article posted by Southern Living about “Santa Duel”. See article: Lead reindeer taken ill. Speculation is that the deer is aware of the Santa dilema.
    North Pole NEWSREEL Correspondent
    Elf Laur

November 21, 2008 at 1:22 am
  4. Scott the Elf

Hey what is the deal. My wife just spotted our local Santa in the Southern Living Dec. magazine. Pg 14 in the corner. I thought that was cool untill I read this blog.
    Who is the local who is throwing the mud on Santa. I live in Fredericksburg and if I find that source… I’m going to take some knee braking action.

November 25, 2008 at 7:41 pm
  5. Santa Iceman

I need you all to know that is is all for the children! They come in droves to have their wishes fulfilled. To wear the Reindeer Bells and look for my sleigh. The stories they participate in take them to my special home. Elves, magical trains, and a wonderland that lets them be a part of Santa’s Family. Lying in their beds they will listen for those Reindeer Bells having worn them each themselves. Excited, Joyful, Spirited that describes each one. So always let the Children be Children as long as you can. And to that third grade teacher who tells her Children “I do not Believe” please keep that to yourself. I am the one who has to turn those Children’s frowns right side up. -Santa

December 15, 2008 at 7:43 pm
  6. Santa Baby

Santa had a wonderful Valentines Day.

February 18, 2009 at 6:15 pm