Blogging from 36,000 Feet

Southwestwifilead

Okay, so this is really cool.  I caught wind about the Southwest Airlines Wi-Fi, but it didn't cross my mind this morning when I hopped the plane from B'ham to Dallas.

Then, Bam!  Here I am, blogging in real time from the skies.  Their wi-fi homepage shows me the progress of the flight.  (It's 8:15 a.m., we're going 450 mph, our ETA to Love Field is 68 minutes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses…)  During this testing period, the service is as free as the two packs of peanuts sitting on my tray.

Now, what could I write about?  The guy in 12D holds his newspaper close to his face.  The woman in 13D brought cheese crackers.  She offered me one, but I politely declined.

I never promised the post would be exciting. Just cool.

COMMENTS

1. Juicy Couture

I had this website saved a while in the past but my computer crashed.

January 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm
  2. jimmy

I just wonder how you managed to get stuck back in Row 13? I thought you Southern Living guys all flew first class.

April 8, 2009 at 2:41 pm
  3. Slade

Cell phones on an airplane would be worse than snakes. However, with free WiFi, they will have to block VOIP traffic and sites like Skype. Can you imagine passengers with headsets yelling at their laptops, trying to be heard over each other?

April 6, 2009 at 8:04 pm
  4. Tanner

Yes, cell phones on planes would be atrocious.
    And, yes, Jen, this post was not technically, “from the road.” Thanks for your comment. You get today’s “Stickler McSticklerson Award.” Congrats! :)

April 6, 2009 at 6:54 am
  5. Caro

I wholeheartedly agree with Art – Cell phones would be a nightmare in an airplane.

April 3, 2009 at 12:33 pm
  6. art

I’m all for airline wi-fi. Free anything from an airline is something to write about. Just as long as they don’t allow cell phone calls. I really don’t want to hear cell phone conversations I can’t escape from.

April 2, 2009 at 2:26 pm
  7. Jen

But is this tale technically “From the road”?

April 2, 2009 at 2:14 pm
  8. Mallory

I don’t know.. I think inflight Wi-Fi is pretty exciting! That was nice of 13D to offer you crackers.

April 2, 2009 at 2:13 pm