Time to Prune Hydrangeas?

January 27, 2010 | By | Comments (13)

If there is one thing about trees and shrubs that scares people more than paying for them, it’s when and how to prune them. One wrong move can ruin them forever (not really, but added anxiety makes for more attentive readers). But abandon all fear, young Skywalker. The Grump is here with easy guidelines for pruning hydrangeas that will make you so glad you turned on your computer

When to prune hydrangeas basically depends on whether it blooms on growth made last year or new growth made during the current year. So let’s run down some of the most popular hydrangeas, so I can tell you what to do.

‘Annabelle’ hydrangea — This is the showiest and most popular selection of the native smooth hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens). It produces immense clusters (up to a foot across) of pure white flowers in summer on a shrub that grows about 4 feet tall and wide. It blooms on current season’s growth, so prune it in late winter. Cutting it back to a foot tall produces fewer clusters, but they’re huge (a trick I learned from Margaret Mosely in Decatur, Georgia). Cutting it back more modestly produces many more, but smaller clusters.

Annabelle

‘Annabelle’ smooth hydrangea

Panicle hydrangea (Hydrangea paniculata) — This summer-flowering species likes the sun and is often trained into a tree 15 to 25-feet high. The most widely planted selection, ‘Grandiflora’ (often called “peegee”), bears large, rounded clusters of white blooms that age to to rose. I see it frequently planted in northern gardens as their version of crepe myrtle, which isn’t winter-hardy there. Other worthy selections include ‘Limelight’ (lime green flowers that age to pink), ‘Pink Diamond’ (creamy flowers that age to rosy-red), and ‘Tardiva’ (late-opening, arrow-shaped clusters of white flowers that age to rose). Panicle hydrangea blooms on new growth, so prune it in late winter.

Peegee18_tn

‘Peegee’ panicle hydrangea

Oakleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia) — This outstanding native native grows 6 to 8 feet tall and wide and develops striking burgundy-red fall foliage. Among the Grump’s favorite selections are ‘Snowflake’ (inner florets stay white, outer florets turn rose in summer), ‘Harmony’ (huge clusters of double white flowers), and ‘Pee Wee’ (dwarf plant to 3 feet tall, blooms at a young age). Oakleaf hydrangea blooms on the previous year’s growth, so cut it back (although it rarely needs it) in early summer.

Oakleaf

‘Snowflake’ oakleaf hydrangea

French or bigleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla) — By far, the most popular of all hydrangeas for its showy, blue or pink, snowball-shaped summer blooms. Most selections, such as the standard blue, ‘Nikko Blue,’ bloom on last year’s growth. So if you prune them now, you won’t get any blooms. What you want to do is wait until they start leafing out in spring. You’ll probably notice some stems are light brown with no signs of life. Prune them back to just above where you see fat, green buds starting to open. Most of these buds should produce flowers. Immediately after the flowers fade in summer, cut these stems back if you wish.

There are exceptions to these guidelines, however. Newer, repeat-blooming selections of French hydrangea, such ‘Endless Summer,’ ‘Pennymac,’ ‘Mini Penny,’ and ‘Forever and Ever,’ bloom on both last season’s growth and current season’s growth. You can cut them back in winter, spring, or summer and still get blooms.

MiniPenny

‘Mini Penny’ French hydrangea

Mail-order source — If you can’t find these hydrangeas locally, one of the best mail-order sources is Wilkerson Mill Gardens, which specializes in these shrubs. I hope they don’t mind that I ripped off the picture of peegee hydrangea from their website, but maybe if you order some of their stuff, they’ll call off the corporate attorney.

COMMENTS

1. Are You Ready For Spring? – The Daily South | Your Hub for Southern Culture

[...] in the spring on growth made the previous year (azalea, lilac, forsythia, spirea, loropetalum, ‘Nikko Blue’ hydrangea, Lady banks rose, etc.) and you prune now, you’ll cut off all the blooms. However, plants [...]

January 31, 2013 at 9:01 am
  2. Robin

Mme Emile Mouliere (sp?) turns pink/purplish in my yard after the white blooms age. My 3 flush out beautifully in June , lovely white and by July the first blooms have turned mottled pink purple. Still getting some new white blooms now. I read somewhere that the more sun they get the more they will color up. Don’t know if this is true. Mine get a.m. Sun until noonish.

August 4, 2012 at 12:45 am
  3. Grumpy Gardener (His Magnificence)

Dottie,
    I don’t think you can blame the spots on the lawn service. The spots are either due to a fungus or the weather. If you need to cut them back, do it right away or else you won’t get any flowers next spring.

June 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm
  4. Dottie

My Oakleaf hydrangeas are experiencing their 2nd summer (it is now June 27 here in B’ham), and are somewhat ‘everywhere’. The flowers were beautiful, but I really need to cut them back, and the leaves have black spots on them. I am using a lawn service’s shrub care. Is it their fault?

June 27, 2012 at 11:11 am
  5. Grumpy Gardener (His Magnificence)

Ray,
    I have never heard of a white hydrangea turning purple or any other color. Has anyone else?

June 18, 2012 at 10:42 am
  6. Ray Firmani

My Hydrangea was white. Now it is Purple. How can I get it to be white again?

June 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm
  7. Grumpy Gardener (His Magnificence)

Joyce,
    The only thing I can think of is that perhaps a cold snap in spring or late winter killed the flower buds, which aren’t as hardy as the leaf buds. Barring a recurrence of that, your plants should bloom next year, as you seem to be doing everything right.

September 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm
  8. joyce register

my hydranggeas have not bloomed at all this year. they have had plenty of water and sunshine. no pruning. what could keep them from blooming.

September 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm
  9. Grumpy Gardener (His Benevolence)

‘Kaleidoscope’ is the name of a new hydrangea developed in Holland. It flowers open pink, change to green, and then finish red. Here’s more info about from Spring Hill Nursery.

June 5, 2011 at 11:33 am
  10. Nancy

Need info on Kaleidoscope Series “Homigo” In San Francisco and Russian River
    Can you help?

June 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm
  11. Cameron (Defining Your Home)

‘Annabelle’ is my favorite! I had so many hydrangeas at previous homes where these flowering shrubs were my specialty (along with hostas).
    Here at this house – I have ONE Endless Summer- I leave the pruning to the deer.
    Cheers,
    Cameron

January 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm
  12. Grumpy Gardener (His Magnificence)

I’ve seen them a lot bigger, Henry. And I’m talking about hydrangeas here.

January 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm
  13. Henry H.

Holy Friggin PeeGee!!!!!
    Who claims that beast!!!!!
    What is that, a standard!!!!

January 29, 2010 at 12:29 pm