Who Are You? Who? Who? Who? Who?

February 8, 2010 | By | Comments (15)

Well, the nation’s premier TV event of the year, the Super Bowl, took place last night. At halftime, the biggest question in viewers’ minds was not whether the Saints could rally from a 10-6 deficit. It was who are those really old guys singing on stage?

Who 002

Turns out it was Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, the last surviving members of an ancient rock band called The Who that first performed for King Louis XIV of France. This continued the NFL’s hallowed tradition of booking geriatric acts for its half-time show, a tradition that has included such musical legends as Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Glenn Miller, George Gershwin, and Ludwig von Beethoven.

The highlight of the show was the band’s reprise of their landmark hit, “My Generation,” most of whom are dead by now. The updated lyrics brought the Grump to tears.

Can’t stand up after I sit down

Talking ’bout my generation

Use a scooter to get around

Talking ’bout my generation

Don’t remember the words to tunes

Talking ’bout my generation

Guess I’ll eat a few more prunes

Talking ’bout my my generation, baby

Sounds like you just f-f-f-fade away

Talking ’bout my generation

Can’t hear a single word you say

I don’t know but I been told

Talking ’bout my generation

I didn’t die, I just got old.

The true irony of the show is when they sang, “Who are you? Who? Who? Who? Who?”, most people watching really did wanna know. Who are those guys?

No matter. The NFL was so pleased that both geezers managed to get through the set without grabbing their sides and collapsing on the floor that they’ve gone ahead and signed another time-honored group for next year’s Super Bowl.

Give it up for “Edgar Allen Poe & the Ravens.”

COMMENTS

1. Liza

Thank you! When we were watching last night, all I could think was that these guys haven’t produced new music SINCE I WAS BORN! I’m 40!!!! Wth?

February 8, 2010 at 10:55 am
  2. Donna

at least they sounded better than Taylor Swift!

February 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm
  3. Cameron (Defining Your Home)

I thought they sounded pretty good and that medley was complicated!
    Cameron
    PS We’re trying to get tickets to see Ringo perform this summer! He’s 70!

February 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm
  4. Cameron (Defining Your Home)

Oh… the reason I mentioned Ringo (besides his age)… that was his son, Zack Starr playing the drums for The Who!
    Cameron

February 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm
  5. Grumpy Gardener (His Magnificence)

Gee, Cameron, who are going to see next? The Turtles? Peter and Gordon? The Everly Brothers? Frank Sinatra?

February 8, 2010 at 5:05 pm
  6. Rhonda Daniels

I loved them in High School and still have some of their albums around here somewhere *blush*
    The sad part?
    I completely relate to the ‘new’ lyrics…

February 8, 2010 at 7:49 pm
  7. Jeff

The CBS promos leading up to half time showed a cool Pete Townsend sliding across the stage taken from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbGLVvfB7Y (about 7:50 into the video – so cool). The only thing cool about the half time show was the lighting set-up.
    The Kids are not kids any more and they should know when to hang it up.

February 8, 2010 at 8:22 pm
  8. MFH

I was afraid the guitar player was about to suffer a dislocated shoulder with all that arm swinging!

February 8, 2010 at 10:13 pm
  9. Cameron (Defining Your Home)

If I see Frank Sinatra, I’ll be in big trouble! LOL
    Cameron

February 9, 2010 at 7:46 am
  10. Danielle Says Hello

I was stunned they were the half time show!!! and they were awful…some memories are best left unearthed.

February 9, 2010 at 11:26 am
  11. Jim Long

I figure they’ll be playing in Branson this year, alongside the Beach Boys, having wheelchair races. I was just plain embarrassed for the Who. I used to really like the Who. Maybe a few drinks would help. It was a sad, sad performance, but hey, that stage really rocked!

February 9, 2010 at 6:09 pm
  12. Henry H.

That was truly sad and there’s nothing funny about watching two legends f-f-f-fade away. We watched them at a benefit concert last year and had to turn it off. Message to Roger: Robert Plant doesn’t/can’t belt it out anymore why do you think you can.
    OOOFFFFF, you sound more and more like Rod Stewart every day.
    He can’t sing either.
    What, big surprise or something??? You knew it the whole time!!!!!!

February 11, 2010 at 4:13 pm
  13. Grumpy Gardener aka His Excellency

Aw, Henry, you just blew the big surprise. Next year’s Super Bowl halftime — Led Zepplin with their very special guest, Rod Stewart!

February 13, 2010 at 9:47 am
  14. jan

The old guys may have shoulder, hip and digestive maladies. What they don’t have are wardrobe malfunctions. The stunt that Timberlake and Jackson pulled ended any chance of younger entertainers being booked for that live performance. We may see them in Super Bowl LXIV, fitting because by then THEIR generation will be eating prunes as LaXitIVes.

February 13, 2010 at 11:33 pm
  15. Charlie

Soooooooooo, you people think you won’t get older…not a very plesent outlook for you…

January 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm