Plant These Great New Pansies Now!

September 22, 2010 | By | Comments (14)

Ball Field Trials 025

Last spring, Grumpy was privileged to attend the Ball Horticultural Company’s fields trials in California. In addition to reconnecting with my acid-rock roots, I also got to preview some of the premier new plant introductions for 2010. One of them impressed me so much that I profiled it in my story, “Cheerful Advice from our Grumpy Gardener,” in the September issue of Southern Living.

It’s the ‘Plentifall’ pansy. You may have read about it first in my April post, “Suffering to Bring You New Flowers.” But you couldn’t plant them then. You can now.

What makes these pansies so special in the Grump’s estimation?

‘Plentifalls’ are among the first trailing pansies, each plant spreading about 18 inches wide. In flower beds, they grow flat on the ground and fill in to form a solid sweep of color, like this below.

Ball Field Trials 026

If you plant them in containers, they’ll cascade over the sides and practically hide the container with blooms. This display on a garden center bench gives you some idea.

Ball Field Trials 032

They’re also extremely cold-hardy, easily surviving sub-zero temps. One of Grumpy’s big beefs regarding pansies is that when I plant them in fall as instructed, they look nice until winter, when a big freeze invariably turns them to mush, and I don’t get any more blooms until April. ‘Plentifalls’ don’t do this.

Where O Where Can I Get Them?

Plentifall-pansies-lAny new plant takes a while to get out there. Grumpy can’t guarantee they’ll be available where you live, but they should be any day now. You can’t get them through the mail. So ask for them at Lowe’s, Home Depot, and better garden centers near you.

Plant them in fertile, well-drained soil. Full sun is best, but they’ll also take part sun. Give them a drink of water soluble fertilizer (the blue stuff) at planting and keep the soil moist, but not soaked. Plant them farther apart than normal pansies — remember, they spread. Mulching between the plants before they spread is a good way to go. Or you could plant spring bulbs, like daffodils, between these pansies now and enjoy a layer cake of color next spring.

Bring Me My Steed!

Everyone in Lexington, Kentucky (and indeed the entire world) is thrilled that Grumpy will be speaking at the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games on October 4 at 11 AM and 2 PM. I’m scared of big animals like horses, so I don’t plan on riding, unless the folks there confuse this event with the Kentucky Derby and fill me with mint juleps. Oh, and Jon Carloftis (if you’re reading), a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle wouldn’t hurt.

COMMENTS

1. It’s Not too Late To Garden: The Perfect Fall Plantsnitetimedecor.com

[…] this fall. The plentifall variety is unique pansy, having the capability to travel and spread up to 18 inches in […]

September 5, 2014 at 1:27 pm
  2. Grumpy Gardener (His Benevolence)

Sara,
    The Plentifalls have now been renamed “Cool Wave.” They should do fine in Maine. They were cold-tested in Canada.

April 30, 2012 at 7:24 am
  3. Sara

In the picture above with the plentifall pansies (flower bed) what other plants are they paired with? In Maine, wondering if they would do well here…

April 25, 2012 at 9:56 pm
  4. Grumpy Gardener (His Benevolence)

Be that as it may, I’ve seen ‘Plentifall’ growing in both containers and flower beds and it sure looked trailing to me. Plus, you don’t have to travel to England to get one.

April 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm
  5. Dawn A. Ellis

There is only one true TRAILING pansy. It was presented in 2010 at the Chelsea Garden Show and I fell in love with them. Called Trailing Pansy BACONITA- the developer is David Kerley of the UK. A great gent whom helped me obtain the rootings. They are unlike the others that simply fall these are a true trailing plant. Colors are Cheeky Yellow, Blue, Red and White. They were voted Top ten plant of the year last year at Chelsea. I have photos if anyone is interested email me- Jefferson, NC.

April 20, 2011 at 11:58 am
  6. Grumpy Gardener (His Benevolence)

Try Lowe’s or Home Depot.

March 18, 2011 at 8:07 am
  7. joan Nielsen

where can i purchase the trailing pansy in cary or raleigh nc?

March 17, 2011 at 5:14 pm
  8. Grumpy Gardener (His Benevolence)

Lowe’s should have them.

October 4, 2010 at 7:39 am
  9. CaryGardener

Beautiful! Does anyone know where I can get these in the Raleigh, NC area?

October 3, 2010 at 8:38 pm
  10. Amy/goawayimgardening!

I am really looking forward to seeing these pansies. I have my Iceland poppies to sow and my Spanish bluebell bulbs to plant. I was glad to read about all of these pretty blooms in the latest issue.

September 28, 2010 at 2:29 pm
  11. jodi (bloomingwriter)

Very nice. I hope they aren’t a flash in the pan the way the so-called ‘Icicle’ pansies were a few years ago. I happen to love pansies, but the Icicles were a huge disappointment.

September 26, 2010 at 8:40 pm
  12. gardenwalkgardentalk

Now that’s an impressive pansy.

September 24, 2010 at 4:01 pm
  13. Scott

These look amazing!

September 24, 2010 at 11:19 am
  14. Henry H.

Saw those in one of the trade publications….
    Can’t wait!!!!!!