Ask Grumpy a Question

August 14, 2012 | By | Comments (9)

Submit your questions here. The answers will be free and worth the price.

COMMENTS

Ann,

Many different diseases could be responsible for the yellow spots on your cucumbers. This link might help you ID the right one: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/vegetable/cucumber/leavesspots.html

Whatever it else, try spraying your cukes and tomatoes with Natria Disease Control. You can get this at garden centers.

July 29, 2015 at 2:17 pm
  2. Ann Lay

I had beautiful tomatoes and plants until about 3 wks ago and now most of them have yellow leaves and the cucumbers are starting to get yellow spots on them too. I saw on utube that the yellow leaves could be lack of magnesium and to mix 2 teaspoons of Epson salt with a gallon of water and spray over the plant. I did nothing really happened. I then took the leaves to a nursery and they thought it was due to lack of iron and sold me some stuff to put on the end of my hose and spray all over the leaves. I did that two weeks ago and still they really look bad. This had been the best year ever with my garden.

I put plastic snakes in the garden as I had many years ago to ward off the squirrels and for a while it worked great then they began attacking my tomatoes. I wondered if next year I could just put out the tomatoes and not put any cages around them so they wouldn’t have anything to jump onto and to an fro? I wish I could get rid of them all together but haven’t in 15 years!!!!

July 23, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Jan-marie,

You’re welcome! Glad it worked out!

June 25, 2014 at 10:15 am
  4. Jan-marie Muschlitz

In your April issue you included a sketch of a Boring Beetle Trap. My husband’s best friend made us a dozen of them(we live in a log home). One was hung in every corner on the outside and within hours these horrible critters were caught. He revised the design to use small pint size canning jars-attaching the lids w tacks to the bottom-allowing for easier disposal of the critters.
    This was a fabulous find for us-we have battled these bees for years!
    Thank you thank you!

June 21, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Nice garden!

June 12, 2014 at 10:23 am
  6. Jean

How often do you answer questions? Still waiting—- Jean
    Prete42@aol.com

June 5, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Excellent idea!

April 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm
  8. Elizabeth

Grumpy,

Best way to keep squirrels off a bird feeder? Grease up the pole with WD-40 (or a similar product). It’s cheap, effective and highly entertaining!

April 18, 2013 at 6:53 pm
  9. Antigonum Cajan

Tell us Grumpy gardener, is it fair some people think I am a grouch
    just for being a cultivated misanthropist?
    What about this garden?