Ask Grumpy a Question

August 14, 2012 | By | Comments (10)

Submit your questions here. The answers will be free and worth the price.

1. Ann Lay

Thanks Steve for the information. I will try your recommendation.

August 2, 2015 at 9:15 am

Many different diseases could be responsible for the yellow spots on your cucumbers. This link might help you ID the right one:

Whatever it else, try spraying your cukes and tomatoes with Natria Disease Control. You can get this at garden centers.

July 29, 2015 at 2:17 pm
  3. Ann Lay

I had beautiful tomatoes and plants until about 3 wks ago and now most of them have yellow leaves and the cucumbers are starting to get yellow spots on them too. I saw on utube that the yellow leaves could be lack of magnesium and to mix 2 teaspoons of Epson salt with a gallon of water and spray over the plant. I did nothing really happened. I then took the leaves to a nursery and they thought it was due to lack of iron and sold me some stuff to put on the end of my hose and spray all over the leaves. I did that two weeks ago and still they really look bad. This had been the best year ever with my garden.

I put plastic snakes in the garden as I had many years ago to ward off the squirrels and for a while it worked great then they began attacking my tomatoes. I wondered if next year I could just put out the tomatoes and not put any cages around them so they wouldn’t have anything to jump onto and to an fro? I wish I could get rid of them all together but haven’t in 15 years!!!!

July 23, 2015 at 9:04 pm

You’re welcome! Glad it worked out!

June 25, 2014 at 10:15 am
  5. Jan-marie Muschlitz

In your April issue you included a sketch of a Boring Beetle Trap. My husband’s best friend made us a dozen of them(we live in a log home). One was hung in every corner on the outside and within hours these horrible critters were caught. He revised the design to use small pint size canning jars-attaching the lids w tacks to the bottom-allowing for easier disposal of the critters.
    This was a fabulous find for us-we have battled these bees for years!
    Thank you thank you!

June 21, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Nice garden!

June 12, 2014 at 10:23 am
  7. Jean

How often do you answer questions? Still waiting—- Jean

June 5, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Excellent idea!

April 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm
  9. Elizabeth

Best way to keep squirrels off a bird feeder? Grease up the pole with WD-40 (or a similar product). It’s cheap, effective and highly entertaining!

April 18, 2013 at 6:53 pm
  10. Antigonum Cajan

Tell us Grumpy gardener, is it fair some people think I am a grouch
    just for being a cultivated misanthropist?
    What about this garden?