Nashville’s Crazy for Patsy

August 22, 2012 | By | Comments (14)
patsy Nashvilles Crazy for Patsy

Courtesy Country Music Hall of Fame

There isn’t a broken heart that doesn’t find solace in the aching sounds of Patsy Cline’s music. Her career was cut short when she died in a plane crash at the age of 30, but in the six years since the release of her first album in 1957 Cline released some of the most iconic ballads in country music.

She is credited with bridging the gap between country and pop paving the way for the likes of Dolly Parton and LeAnn Rimes. The Country Music Hall of Fame is honoring the life of the legendary singer with an autobiographical exhibit, Patsy Cline: Crazy for Loving You, opening tomorrow.

The museum curated a collection that allows fans to see Cline’s story as told through her eyes. You’ll read letters Cline wrote her family and friends, see pieces from her costume collection and other mementos (like her extensive salt-and-pepper collection!), and catch outtakes of audio and videos spanning her career.

The staff compiled a video to anchor the exhibit that includes interviews with country legends like Willie Nelson and Brenda Lee who worked closely with Cline, and audio clips of original three-track recording of “Crazy” and “Sweet Dreams,” which highlight Cline’s vocals sans instrumentation.

Patsy Cline: Crazy for Loving You runs August 24 through June 10, 2013. Opening weekend celebrations include talks with Cline’s husband and daughter; a performance by Mandy Barnett, who plays Cline in the tribute musical Always… Patsy Cline; and a screening of the documentary Patsy Cline: Sweet Dreams Still.

See the full program of events at CountryMusicHallofFame.org

We leave you with this video of Cline performing the song for which the exhibit is named.

What is your favorite Patsy Cline song? Tell us in the comments.

Related Links:
Southern Living: Huck Finn Gone Steam Punk?
Southern Living: Nashville’s New Flavor
Southern Living: Celebrate Country Music

COMMENTS

1. Debra Fallon

I love, love, love all of Patsy Cline’s Music, but two of my favorites besides the ever so popular “Crazy” and “I Fall to Pieces” would be “If I Could See the World Through the Eyes of a Child” and “If You’ve Got Leaving On Your Mind”

September 2, 2012 at 10:17 am
  2. Tammie Tranovich

I absolutely love Patsy Cline! I was just a baby when she died. Her voice and music will never grow old or go out of style. If you’ve got leaving on your mind, is one of my many favorites of hers!

August 29, 2012 at 11:44 am
  3. Jackie Wilson

She’s Got You…Sorry

August 29, 2012 at 10:33 am
  4. Jackie Wilson

Love Patsy! “He Got You” is my favorite!

August 29, 2012 at 10:30 am
  5. Glenda

My favorite song is Walking after midnight and Life’s Railway to Heaven with Willie Nelson

August 28, 2012 at 9:13 pm
  6. Cheri

I love all of Patsy’s stuff but my absolute favorite is “You Belong To Me”

August 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm
  7. kathy

Thanks for sharing her

August 28, 2012 at 6:54 pm
  8. Jo Ann Hix-Kanou

Hi, I moved to Tulsa,Okla. around 1962 (originally my home state). I had moved to Calif. with my family. My sis, who still lived in Tulsa asked me to come back for a while. At any rate, I lived in a rooming house and one of the residents there told me that Patsy Cline was appearing at the Cimarron Ballroom and wanted to know if I wanted to join him to see her sing. Of course, I said yes. We went there on a Sat. night and no one sat at their table to see her. Everyone went up near the stage and heard her sing. She mentioned her car accident that night and kind of joked about it. She died in the plane crash a few years later. Little did I know that she would become a legend, and that I was lucky enough to get to see her in person performing her songs. Also a man who lived at my rooming house and had travelled in her band. I remember that night like it was yesterday. Just a little bit of trivia.
    Jo Ann Hix-Kanou (Calif.)

August 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm
  9. Clara Matthews

I have always loved Patsy Cline & her music !!!
    She was taken to soon, but her songs of Love are Bittersweet with fond Remembrance of Love & Heartaches !!! She is truly an Icon of her genre !!

August 28, 2012 at 11:55 am
  10. Ann Carroll

My favorite Patsy Cline song is “I Fall to Pieces.” Though I love so many of her songs!

August 24, 2012 at 1:45 am
  11. Brenda Barrett

Love Patsy; will have to check this out!

August 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm
  12. Ken Palmer

You have to see Shani Hedden sing Patsy Cline’s music in Chattanooga TN sometime. Amazing.

August 22, 2012 at 11:08 pm
  13. Dorothy Simke

Our Family moved to Florida in 1972 and I have subscribed to your wonderful magazine for 40 years! I have given my daughter Christmas with Southern Living every year since Volume 1 -
    You deserve soo many Gold Stars for all the wonderful things you make available to your
    faithful Readers like this Patsy Cline video!!! At the age of 84+ all I can gratefully say is,
    THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!

August 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm
  14. Pamela

I’m so excited! Can’t wait to see her!

August 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm