Terry Saban knows a thing about football. Married to Alabama Coach Nick Saban for nearly 40 years, to say that football is an integral part of her life is an understatement.
While compiling facts for The Official SEC Tailgating Cookbook, which went on sale this week, we asked the reigning first-lady of football a few questions about game day:
1. Who is the greatest football player, coach, or icon of all time from Alabama?
“There is good reason that every other someone or something is named after Bear. Coach Bryant left a legacy here that goes beyond mere tradition.”
2. What team do you just want to clobber on the field?
“…How about the one that beat you last time? Let’s get it right this time! Remember how it felt to lose that game? We don’t ever want to feel that again! Great motivation!”
3. What is the most memorable SEC game you’ve ever been to? What made it so amazing… or devastating?
“With 40 years of games behind us, I would say the big games have been the ones that have determined a National Championship, the ultimate goal in college football.”
4. Regardless of what the sports reporters and critics declare, who do you personally think is your school’s biggest rival?
“I think everyone would agree that Auburn is our biggest rival. Anytime you have in-state rivalries, they are special. When Nick coached at Michigan State, our biggest rival was the University of Michigan, with who we open this coming season in Dallas Cowboy Stadium!”
- Vote for your alma mater in The South’s Best Tailgate
- Get your copy of Southern Living’s Official SEC Tailgating Cookbook
- 14-Team Inspired Tailgating Dishes
- Football Themed Deviled Eggs