You Could Win This Copper Lantern!

September 11, 2012 | By | Comments (118)
Lafitte Lantern

Photo: Greg Dupree

We know that copper lanterns are a much-loved staple on Southern homes. So this month we’ve partnered with one of our favorite Southern lighting companies, the New Orleans’ based Flambeaux Lighting, to give away the hand-crafted, copper Lafitte lantern. Featured in our October Southern Made column, the Lafitte is a handsome, 22″ tall lantern wired for electricity (Installation will be a cinch!) and retails for $485.

To help us find a home for the Lafitte, tell us (in the comments section below) where you would hang the lantern and why it would work best for your space. The winning answer takes home Flambeaux’s lantern. The contest begins September 12 and ends October 31. Click here for official rules.

We look forward to hearing from you!

COMMENTS

1. courtneybarb

I will soon be living in the mountains of West Virginia with one heck of a good-looking farmer! This would look beautiful by our front door. Apart from the light of the stars, there isn’t much light, but this lantern would surely serve as a beacon to bring my farmer home.

November 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm
  2. Courtney Morris

We are getting married in New Orleans in May, and as a true Southern girl through and through all the way to my Cajun roots, I’m embracing all things Southern for our wedding! Some fresh-cut magnolia branches here, pearls and lace there, and this beautiful lantern as part of the Southern-style vignette on the table by our Guest Book, filled with a simple and elegant magnolia leaf stem.

After that, it would of course be permanently installed by the front door of our new home in all it’s Southern Glory, with its warm light to welcome family and guests alike, as well as a lasting reminder of the warmth of our love from our wedding day!

October 29, 2012 at 8:02 pm
  3. Debra Rutland

The LaFitte lantern reminds me of my visits to my children in Baton Rouge, LA. We always visit NOLA for the good food, ambiance, and beautiful homes (laissez les bons temps rouler). My daughter and I plan to attend the 2012 New Orleans Tour of Homes in December. I am sure we will see some of these beautiful lanterns which you have featured in your October issue. The LaFitte lantern would look lovely beside the front door of my 1907 home in the historical district of my small south Georgia town. I am the third owner of this home which was originally built by a local doctor as a wedding gift for his daughter. The winner of this lantern will definitely be proud to display it and recall the history behind it.
    D. Rutland

October 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm
  4. Jennifer Tanner

My husband and I just completed restoring a 1937 bungalow. It has some lovely original copper accents and this would certainly enhance the charm of our front porch.

October 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm
  5. Debbie Stangl

I am decorating my living room in the Low Country look, and this lantern would look awesome as part of the decor. I bought a couple of pictures this week of courtyards with lanterns, and I’ve been collecting lanterns to sit on the fireplace. This lantern would bring the look together.
    Thanks!

October 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm
  6. Susan Tilt

My husband and I lived in New Orleans for the last three years of his military career and we love the city. New Orleans opened doors for me as an artist and I’d love to have this lantern to welcome all who come to the door of the Southern house we are about to build in Virginia.

October 27, 2012 at 10:35 am
  7. Sharlene Corliss

I currently use a plug-in nite light in my entry way so I have light at night when I get up so I won’t fall down the stairs, but it doesn’t do our beautiful waterfront property justice and until I saw this charming lantern, I didn’t,t have a clue as to what else to do. Now I know it would be the perfect compliment and finishing touch to our cottage on Miles Pond in North Concord Vermont. The soft glow would be perfect to light my way in the dark and I know it would be a wonderful conversation piece as my family and friends enter our home. I would be honored to win this.. I am a new subscriber to your magazine, taking over the subscription since my Mom recently passed away and used to share her magazine with me. The lantern could also be a light to shine here in her memory. Thank you!
    Sharlene Corliss

October 27, 2012 at 9:43 am
  8. Tiffany

This is such a unique and beautiful lantern piece. I would hang it in my bathroom. My bathroom is my second most favorite spot in my home next to my kitchen and I love decorating it. I especially love copper I think its a beautiful element that would make my southern bathroom feel just right. I would be so thankful for this charming piece. I appreciate you giving me a chance to win it. Happy Holidays!

October 26, 2012 at 11:10 am
  9. Norma S.

Living in the coastal southern area of Texas, the Lafitte lantern would be a treasured addition to the front porch of our 1913 farm house. The porch has a beaded board ceiling with turned posts and a hospitable stoop created from wood molded bricks. The Lafitte lantern would be in keeping with the southern charm of our home!

October 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm
  10. Katie bostrom

I would hang this lantern in my study which is my favorite place to escape after a busy day.

October 22, 2012 at 9:04 am
  11. Holly Denton

I believe legendary pirate, Lafitte, would be pleased if Southern Living chose the back porch of my home in the happy coastal town of Jupiter, Florida, for the hand-crafted copper Lafitte lantern. My husband closed in our porch with custom cherry wood framed picture windows, which glass can be removed and stored during cooler weather. He installed cypress ceiling panels and brick paver flooring, as well. The warmth of natural wood would provide a pleasant Lafitte lantern glow.

October 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm
  12. Silke P.

We live outside of beautiful Savannah, where we are lucky to be able to spend most of the fall, winter and spring outside on our back porch, which is painter a smokey blue/gray. This lantern would look stunning hanging next to our back door on the porch.

October 21, 2012 at 4:26 pm
  13. Jan Peelle

This would look great next to my antique mahogany front door on the front porch. Slowly restoring my 1903 home.

October 21, 2012 at 4:15 pm
  14. Liz Irwin

This beautiful handcrafted copper lantern would be a perfect addition for our new screened porch where we could enjoy it every day. We eat out there often and entertain a lot, so this would look beautiful above our dining table outside.

October 21, 2012 at 8:51 am
  15. Teresa D.

I would hang this lantern on my back patio to add extra lighting for the beautiful fall evenings.

October 21, 2012 at 5:10 am
  16. Rowena Gransaull

I would hang this beautiful piece next to my front door to be visible by all. The glass shade on the inside reminds me of the oil lanterns we used in Trinidad, West Indies when I was a child when the power went out (and that was quite often). It was always a reassuring sight to see it on a dark night. So it brings back many memories for me.

October 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm
  17. Lisa Martell

This would be great next to the entry of our New Orleans Style home! We live in South Bend, Indiana next. We live a block from the University of Notre Dame. We were told by a Texas friend that our 1925 home, built as a wedding gift from the original homeowner next door, that our traditional sideways home with pillared porch on the front and entry on the side, is actully called New Orleans Style in the south. We love it regardless if it is considered sideways or New Orleans Style!

October 20, 2012 at 6:58 am
  18. Carolyn Fagg

This lantern would look beautiful on the front porch of our 39-year old home in Texas. It would also be appreciated on our covered patio that we enjoy daily. I would be thrilled to win. Thanks for your offers.

October 19, 2012 at 6:01 pm