I’m breaking the rules and deep-frying marshmallows! Watch and see if I make an ooey-gooey mess or a new hit.
Deep Fried Marshmallows
Makes 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed graham crackers
- 12 (2-inch) hand-crafted or homemade marshmallows
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Chocolate sauce, warmed
1. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat over medium heat to 400°. Toss marshmallows with egg whites in a large bowl, coating on all sides. Dredge each marshmallow in crushed graham crackers, coating on all sides.
2. Fry marshmallows, one at a time, moving around constantly with a large metal slotted spoon, 5 to 10 seconds or until coating is crisp and marshmallow shape remains intact. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Watch a batch of marshmallows go from soft and chewy to crunchy and gooey:
Check back next Friday to see what else our Test Kitchen throws in the deep fryer. And to see our past videos, go to SouthernLiving.com/fry.