Pecan pie is already delicious and oh-so Southern, but watch me turn it into an insanely decadent deep-fried treat, complete with bourbon whipped cream!
Deep Fried Pecan Pie
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie, prepared and cooled
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pork cracklings
- Vegetable oil
- Bourbon Whipped Cream
1. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat over medium heat to 350°.
2. Cut pie into 8 to 10 slices. Whisk together buttermilk and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Dredge pecan pie slices in flour coating on all sides. Dip into buttermilk mixture and dredge in pork cracklings, coating evenly. Fry pie slices, in batches, 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Top with bourbon whipped cream.
Watch as Pecan Pie becomes even more irresistible:
Check back next Friday to see what else our Test Kitchen throws in the deep fryer. And to see our past videos, go to SouthernLiving.com/fry.