Trisha Yearwood Proves That a Southern Kitchen is the Ultimate Stage

October 23, 2012 | By | Comments (10)
Trisha Yearwood

Photo by Laurey W. Glenn

Hometown: Monticello, GA

Occupation: Singer/Cookbook Author/TV Host

What’s On Her Plate: The second season of Trisha’s Southern Kitchen on the Food Network

No matter where I live, I will always be a Georgia girl. I come from Jasper County, where everybody knew everybody and everything revolved around school and church. There were lots of covered-dish suppers and lots of barbecue fund-raisers.

Strength, grace, and good manners. Those are the traits that set a Southern girl apart.

I learned to cook after I moved to Nashville. I was homesick and missed my mother’s cooking, so I tried to make her potato salad. I cried when it tasted like hers. That reminder of home was comforting. Now the majority of the things I cook are recipes from my mom and grandmother. They have passed away, but the recipes remain a way to stay connected with them.

Garth and I had an instant friendship. The first day we met, we sang together; it felt like we’d been singing together our whole lives. I’ve had the opportunity to do duets with some amazing artists: Aaron Neville, Vince Gill, Don Henley. But there’s no one I would rather sing with than my husband, Garth [Brooks].

Oklahoma is the land of common sense. Just north of Tulsa, where I’ve called home for 11 years, everyone is practical and down to earth, and none of them care if you’re some hit singer, which makes it a wonderful place to raise our children. The nicest people you’re ever going to meet live here.

Potatoes, sweet Vidalia onions, butter, and garlic. That’s what every Southern kitchen should be stocked with.

I’ve never recorded a song I didn’t love. But if pressed to pick a favorite, “The Song Remembers When” comes to mind. It’s a beautiful ballad, but it is really more like poetry set to music.

For me, it’s relaxing to be in the kitchen. Some people stress out when they have to make a meal. But I think there’s a real sense of satisfaction when you serve a meal to someone and they love what you cooked. It’s almost like the applause you get when you’re onstage.

COMMENTS

1. Barbara Meyer

Trisha we live in Broken arrow love your cooking show DVR it every week! Have a question for you about the turkey you cooked last week my grandson deleted it of my t.v. I know you preheat the oven to 500 degrees I think you said no turkey over 12lbs and how long do you leave it in the oven? I remember something about overnight…Help please.
    Thanks for being who you are love you both so down to earth.

November 18, 2012

November 18, 2012 at 10:18 am
  2. Charlie Brown

Trish, When my son worked at the old Albertsons grocery store in Owasso, OK, you and Garth would occasionally come by late in the evening. If one of the supermarket tabloids had a negative article about you and/or Garth, one the clerks would be sure they were all flipped over so ya’ll wouldn’t see them. I always got a kick out of that.

Thanks for everything you and Garth do for the Owasso community; anonymously, humbly and without the need for recognition.

November 5, 2012 at 5:40 pm
  3. Mary

Oklahoma is a state that sits in the heart of Tornado Alley, get a lot of tornadoes which are accompanied by a LOT of fatalities. I’m sure glad that you enjoy living in Okahoma Trish cause I wouldn’t live there for all the money in the world. I treasure the life of my 17 children and 17 grandchildren which is why I do NOT live in Oklahoma.

Your show isn’t televised in my part of the south so I’ve never seen it.

October 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm
  4. Ruth

Trish – Love your show. So many shows on FN call for ingredients we just don’t keep in
    our pantry. I like that yours does not. Wish you were on more then one day a week!

October 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm
  5. Betsy. Childs

I enjoy your show. Last season I loved the onions your uncle made with bacon and butter
    Yum yum. But the best thing for me was your key lime cake. So easy and delicious. You truly are a southern girl.

October 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm
  6. Lynn Hoffman

Love your show! My two Southern Lhasa Apsos Josh and Noah and I never miss a show! We even watched it waiting for Hurricaine Sandy in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I am a country girl myself, living in the city now in Richmond, Va. Your recipes remind me of the way my Mom and family cooked!

October 30, 2012 at 9:39 am
  7. Doris Andrews

Always loved Trisha and Garth very happy those two uninted,love the cooking shows us “southerners” love to cook,but sometimes Thank God for take out,lol!

October 28, 2012 at 4:36 pm
  8. Ruth Ann Moreland

Last season you had a sweet treat. It was crackers with a brown sugar & butter over the top with chocolate chips on top. There were no amounts for brown sugar and butter or how long to cook it before pouring over the crackers. Please help. So glad you are doing another season on FN. love everything you and Garth do. Garth has always been my #1 singer. My 16 yr old grandson has been singing his music since he was 2 yrs old. He is entering the talent show & singing Thunder rolls if I can find just guitar melody. He has taught himself to play guitar, but doesn’t think he can do both. I am so proud of him. Thanks, Gram.

October 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm
  9. Phoebe Lewis

The first time a made one of my mother disher after she died I sat down and bawled like a baby. The kitchen is where I spent the most memorable time with my Mama. I hope I have passed along that love of southern cooking to my son.

October 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm