You Could Win This Bicycle and Basket!

November 9, 2012 | By Caroline McKenzie | Comments (264)
C. Wonder Bike & Electra Basket

Photo by Ralph Anderson

In the South, we don’t like to rush things, which is why we think a bicycle is the perfect mode of transportation for our laid-back lifestyle.

Not to mention, our temperate weather means going for a bike ride is an enjoyable feat nearly all year. We’re especially pro-bicycles when we’re talking about this darling winter-white city bike from the fabulous C. Wonder and basket from Electra Bike, both featured in our December issue’s Holiday Gift Guide.

You could win this bike and basket! In the comments section below, tell us the holiday memory you’ll never forget (just like you’ll never forget how to ride a bike). The answer that we find unforgettable earns the bike and basket. The contest begins now and ends December 31. Click here for official rules.

Go on, jog our memories!

COMMENTS

1. Pat Murray

Christmas, 1989, my daughter had been in my home since January, and the finalization of her adption was pending. She was four years old, and was so overwhelmed with the avalanche of gifts, from Santa, Aunts, Uncle, Grandma and Mommy, she sat in the rocker and fell asleep. It’s one of my favorite photos. Her response to an abundance she had never before known touched the deepest parts of my heart. And today at 27 years, she is not just my daughter, but my best friend.

December 12, 2012 at 8:00 am
  2. Elizabeth Czysz

Our first Christmas in Tennessee where we retired is one of my most memorable. All four of our children were with us from Pennsylvania and Texas. It was a wonderful last Christmas for our daughter Mary. All our grandchildren were here also–four at that time. We took many pictures. Ate our special traditional Polish supper–homemade polish sausage, Periogi and Christmas cookies . We had made the sausage and perogi the day before Christmas Eve. It was a wonderful few days with them all here. Took many pictures that are now lasting memories for us all.

December 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm
  3. Anna B

My parents, my older sister, and I packed up the station wagon and headed to Atlanta to be with my dad’s side of the family every Christmas season of my childhood. We stayed at my grandparents’ house, a three bedroom ranch, which housed as many as 16 people during the week of Christmas. On Christmas Day, over 30 family members poured into the house and we feasted on the most lavish and extensive of spreads at Christmas lunch, before opening presents. This was always so exciting and memorable. However, what may be more memorable was the Christmas we did not make it to Georgia. I was about 7 years old and my dad had to work that holiday. My mother was excited about having a small Christmas at home with just our immediate family. Unfortunately, we all got terrible colds with fevers, headaches, fatigue, and runny noses just in time for the big day. About lunch time, the family sat around our cozy table for four and my mother set a plate of food in front of us each. I scoffed at the weak, and oh-so-unfestive peanut butter sandwich lurking on my otherwise empty plate that should have been filled to the brim with turkey, dressing, macaroni and cheese, and green beans. My contempt was met with equal annoyance from my sick and tired mother, so I the ate the sandwich in silence. This experience is now lovingly remembered as “The Peanut Butter Christmas,” and although disappointing at the time, is now a cherished, humorous, memory.

December 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm
  4. Dottie Applegate

I lived my childhood in Texas and had never had a white Christmas until my immediate family visited my father’s side of the family in Temperance, Michigan. God made up for all the missed white Christmas’s! It was so cold and the snow was measured in feet! I was about six years old and thought it was amazing but I learned that winter how great Christmas is in Texas….warmer!

December 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm
  5. Kit Rains

It’s true a picture is worth a thousand words! My favorite Christmas memory is in a festive frame on my coffee table and comes out only during the holidays. When our children were two and five, my husband took them to see Santa so I could get finish some secret Santa chores at home. The photographer caught the magic moment when my son was screaming to get away from that scary bearded guy, my daughter is looking resigned at the situation, my husband is trying very hard to keep Cole on his lap and smile, Santa is giving my son a not so Santa look and the best….Mrs. Santa is looking right at the camera with her beauty queen smile as if to say, “Oh just never mind that screaming toddler..if I keep smiling, it will be just fine!”

December 13, 2012 at 6:09 am
  6. C L Anderson

One of my favorite Christmas memories is of the year we found an antique upright player piano for my two youngest sons. They both wanted to take piano lessons, but the price of a new piano was out of reach. I found the piano advertised in a neighborhood paper. The previous owners needed to get it out of their house immediately to make room for a baby grand their son was getting for Christmas. Our two younger sons still believed in the magic of Santa but their two slightly older brothers were more skeptical. The piano had to be moved into our house immediately, but we knew such a large item would not go unnoticed for the last two weeks before Christmas.

With the help of some very kind friends, we brought the piano home, and using many rolls of wrapping paper covered the piano completely while all four boys were at school. Next, we placed a letter from Santa on the package. The letter explained that every year some of the gifts he has to deliver are so-o-o-o large that he must deliver those a couple of weeks before Christmas. He explained that this was done only for the very best of boys and girls because the children were not at all allowed to peak before Christmas morning, for if they did, Santa would not return on Christmas Eve with the rest of their presents. Santa also, said that he intentionally left the name off of the gift tag and would add that on Christmas Eve so that the recipient would still be surprised.

The gigantic present in the living room was a constant source of excitement and speculation as all four boys tried to guess what it could possibly be and struggled every day not to peak! Even the older boys decided it was wiser to believe in Santa and follow the directions from his letter, rather than risk the possibility of no presents. The spirit of Santa and the excitement for Christmas completely filled the air that year. Now even though the boys are off to college, as I decorate the living room and look at the piano I feel the wonder and magic the piano brought the year it arrived continue to fill our home.

December 16, 2012 at 11:54 am
  7. patricia

Hi,
    I know we are all in the Christmas spirit, however my holiday memory that comes to mind did not happen in December. Here in Kentucky we have a holiday of our own called the Kentucky Derby. Being raised in Louisville the Derby is special and a celebration. Two years ago on Derby day my daughter was riding her bike outside. She came in the house after a bike crash with a crooked arm and in so much pain no words would come out. I Took her to the e.r. and two bones were broken. I will never the rest of my life forget the look on my child’s face when she was in so much pain. Her bike was like a bmx type bike. She’s twelve now and I would be so happy for her to try again with a leisurely type bike. She’s such a sweet girl and needs to enjoy riding a bike again.

December 16, 2012 at 10:39 pm
  8. Barbara Brown

To begin, please note that the contest states “holiday memory you’ll never forget”. It was December 24, 1967, my uncle and his family came over for Christmas. There were 10 kids and we were upstairs playing, when we heard an adult coming up the stairs. We turned off the lights and hid, giggling the whole time. Uncle Ed came to the doorway of the dark bedroom and said in his booming voice “Kids, come out and turn the light on, there’s been an accident”. We came out right away, and my paternal grandparents had been in a car accident. It had just started snowing, and an oncoming car lost control and hit them. Grandpa had a broken pelvis and Grandma had internal injuries. She died on Christmas Day. You never forget a day like that. Christmas was forever changed for our family, especially my dad. Three years later Grandpa went to the big city to have his pelvis repaired because he walked with a really bad limp. The day before surgery, he died from a blood clot. My dad lost both parents while he was in his 30′s. It really put things in prospective for all of us. Don’t worry about the small things. Enjoy your faith, family and friends. To me, Christmas is about those three things. Merry Christmas to all!

December 19, 2012 at 3:51 pm
  9. Kim

My most unforgettable Christmas memory is of my brother and my son who is now 27-years-old. The Christmas Eve my son was four, we were having a difficult time getting him to sleep and the adults were tired and ready for bed themselves. My brother snuck outside and rang some jingle bells outside of my son’s bedroom window. the adults all exclaimed and said “It’s Santa!” We then explained to my son that Santa would not come in and leave presents if he was awake – he might even pass by and skip our house if everyone was up. That child never went to sleep so fast and we were able to get a little rest before putting Santa’s gifts out.

December 20, 2012 at 9:39 am
  10. Rene Cardy

It was the first Christmas after I got married that I remember and cherish… We were newlyweds and were going to spend our first Christmas with my family out in Texas. My husband and I had gone to the mall to get a little shopping done before we were suppose to depart and things were tight due to spending money for the airfare and just getting started, etc. I had noticed a beautiful coat in a store window and my husband said go try it on… I didn’t want to as I knew we could not afford it. However, he talked me into trying it on and I thought it was the prettiest coat I had ever seen. The sales person asked if I wanted it and I said thanks but no thanks. My husband knew I truly liked it and said not to worry – maybe next year we could put it in the budget. We both walked away and I tried not to think about the pretty coat. A couple of weeks later we had packed ourselves and our treasures to bring to family members in Texas and we were excited about our first Christmas. The next day (Christmas morning) we all sat around and opened gifts. I thought everyone had unwrapped all the gifts but to my surprise my Mom looked at me and said I think there is one gift behind the sofa… I looked and it was a small-medium sized box. I couldn’t imagine what it was and my Mom said it was from my husband… Again, I just couldn’t imagine what it could be. I slowly unwrapped the gift and my Dad smiled brightly…. When I opened the box the beautiful coat that I had admired back home seemed to burst out of the box… It had been squeezed into this small box… I was dumbfounded and excited at the same time. How could this be? My Mom then explained that my husband had been working extra hours to pay for the coat and secretly shipped it to my Mom and Dad in advance so it would be a surprise. My eyes couldn’t hold back the tears of happiness… I felt blessed not all due to getting the coat that I had dreamed of but by knowing how special my husband made me feel. That was 23 years ago and I still have the coat AND the husband and the sweetest Christmas morning surprise memory.

December 20, 2012 at 9:36 pm
  11. Carrie

As a small child, my father traveled a lot with his job. One Christmas, he was unable to come home for Christmas Day and therefore, my mother loaded up her three small children and we traveled to him. Like most fathers do, my dad waited until last minute to purchase a Christmas Tree. We arrived on Christmas Eve and greeted my father at his hotel. We had a small Charlie Brown tree with a handful of branches on it. Each branch broke as we put Christmas lights on it and soon we merely had a twig with Christmas lights wrapped around the base. We were the only guest in the hotel and ate a festival Chinese dinner on Christmas Day as no other restaurants were open. This is my favorite Christmas memory. This is the Christmas I learned it wasn’t about the presents, decorations, or the food. Christmas was about being together with the ones you love.

December 22, 2012 at 10:25 am
  12. M.J. Henderson

Although I have many, many beautiful memories, this is a fave for sure. Christmas 2010, so extra special. I had been admitted to Duke On Nov. 8th, 2010 for them to replace two of my heart valves. Long story short-things got a bit complicated and suddenly it was December 23rd, 2010. I had to stay longer to have a lung operation. I was so ready to go home. I did not even care that there were no decorations, it was home! My surgeon came in on Christmas Eve and said if I did everything on his list he would release me. I shouted yes and my beautiful husband drove me the four hours to my home sweet home.
    I knew then that Christmas would forever be my present. Just to be able to live another year.

December 26, 2012 at 3:55 pm
  13. Dillon McCurry

McCurry
    i have many Christmas memories, but i think one of my favorites comes from my own child hood when my momma and daddy were still together. i can remember it was Christmas eve, and when i was a little girl we always had Christmas at my Granny Grey’s house in a small town in southern Oklahoma. i can remember there were presents everywhere and my momma she always read the Christmas story from the bible as i do every year now for my own family. The night had grown calm all the kids had opened their presents, my Granny had started playing the piano and the carols started, we sang and sang. the smiles seem to spread like wild fire and burn all night. It was time for the children to go to bed now, as i made my way up the stairs daddy whispered to me and told me to come down for a minute. i walked over to him. He picked me up with his strong arms and carried me to the door and whispered, “i think Santa made a mistake and left a present out on the porch, why don’t you go see what it is.” My heart started racing as i walked over to the door and opened it. The moon was so bright shining through the oak tree we had in our front yard. Daddy pointed and said, “look over there”. i turned and what i seen ill never forget, it was a crib, made just for me and my dolls. daddy had hand made it, but where he found the time ill never know. i can remember laying in my bed that night hearing the grownups down stairs hooping and hollering playing canasta, and my new crib with my dolls tucked away nice and cozy beside me. Ill never forget that Christmas.
    December 28,2012 vat 12:45 p.m.

December 28, 2012 at 12:49 pm
  14. tina

I had won a Rotary graduate scholarship to study in Scotland for the 1986/87 school year. My boyfriend, Bob, was flying over for Christmas and we were going to spend 5 days in Stratford-upon-Avon, England. I had been traveling with some other scholars for a few days in Amsterdam and our bags had been stolen. Unfortunately, all of my Christmas gifts and clothes were now gone. I met Bob at the London airport distraught but he greeted me with a giant 3′x 2′ copy of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” to lighten up the situation.

We drove to Stratford-upon Avon and checked into the Shakespeare Hotel. On Christmas Day, Bob and I went for a long run in the countryside and ended up at the cottage of Anne Hathaway (Shakespeare’s wife) Since it was Christmas, the cottage was closed but we hopped the fence and sat on the porch swing. Snow flurries fell all around us as Bob surprised me with an engagement ring.

That night, the hotel was having a costume party/black tie with the theme of “What you were wearing when the Titanic sunk.” We had planned to wear black tie clothing but my dress had been in the stolen bag and I was not able to buy another one in time. The only other option was to come up with a costume.
    We took the sheets off of the beds, wrapped them around us, and pinned signs on the front of us which read “Just Married.” It was a fun way to celebrate our engagement and we ended up winning the bottle of champagne for “Best Costume.” It is still an unforgettable Christmas .

December 29, 2012 at 7:07 am