You Could Win This Cooks Set!

November 10, 2012 | By | Comments (80)
SL Tools

Photo by Ralph Anderson

Leave it to the Southern Living Test Kitchen to dream up kitchen utensils that are as functional as they are fabulous looking. Case in point: these cook tools, from Ballard Designs Southern Living Collection, featured in our December Holiday Gift Guide.

The four-piece oak and stainless steel set features a slender spoon long enough to keep hands away from heat while stirring, an elongated French whisk to reach the bottom of a deep pot, an oven pull notched on one end to help grip hot oven racks (plus a ruler down the side to measure pie dough), and a cake tester pretty enough to serve as a hat pin.

This baking set can be yours! In the comments section below, tell us the most delicious baked good you whip up during the holidays. Our favorite answer wins the set. The contest begins now and ends December 31. Click here for official rules.

We’re ready for those cakes and cookies!

COMMENTS

1. Alisha Dupuis

This was my first Thanksgiving to cook for my family so I decided to color outside of the box and try to cook a duck! Well the duck came out perfect but I wanted the dessert to be special so I pulled out my grandmother pecan pie recipe. I went outside to my pecan tree picked up tons of pecans. I cracked them open and made even thing from scratch. The pecan pie came out beautiful! It tasted wonderful but even though I had my grandmother’s recipe it just did not taste like her pie! I guess grandma had something up her sleeve that made the best pecan pie ever.

November 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm
  2. Judith E. Deck

I always make Melting Moments cookies for my son and my sister, who love them — very light with a hint of orange, a family favorite. Timing is precise, as is letting the cookies set before removing to the cooling racks, but well worth the effort. I also bake a pound cake of various flavors — my son prefers Lemon Sour Cream which has been his favorite since he was about 4. My mother, age 93, prefers Angel Food Cake, which is perfect appropriate since she is the absolute angel of our family. She is the kitchen supervisor beyond compare!

November 24, 2012 at 8:05 pm
  3. Nancy Terry

When I married into my husband’s family, his grandmother always made a chocolate pie. My husband loved it, so I asked his grandmother, Big Mama, for the recipe. I started making this pie. I learned about meringue from talking with her and about whole milk instead of low fat. As she aged and was unable to continue her tradition, I was able to pick up this job. Uncles, aunts, and cousins counted on me to bring the chocolate pie. Big Mama has gone on to Heaven, but I know she smiles when I make her pie for family gatherings!

November 25, 2012 at 12:41 pm
  4. Elizabeth Almond

My husband works production and the work is really hard. To help brighten his day, I bring in goodies like whoopie pies, chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, etc. My husband shares these goodies with his co-workers. He and his co-workers recently celebrated Thanksgiving. For the celebration, I made browned butter pumpkin cake and brownies. I enjoy making the goodies for my husband and his co-workers. I appreciate the hard work he does. I believe that this is one of the few ways I can show him the appreciation.

November 25, 2012 at 8:54 pm
  5. Heather Greene

My husband LOVES cheesecake. So, after his constant begging I made Turtle Cheesecake for Thanksgiving. I even got a request that if I drew my brother-in-laws name that is what he wanted for Christmas as his present. Looks like this will be one recipe that makes a repeat appearance.

November 26, 2012 at 8:04 am
  6. Jennifer Manning

I make my mother in law’s kolachys. 19 years ago I spent my first Christmas with my new family and my mother in law had to keep these cookies hidden away in the freezer so there would be some left for Christmas Day. It’s a cream cheese dough and the family favorite filling is poppyseed, although my favorite is apricot. My children and I love to roll out the dough and make an assembly line out of cutting the squares, putting in the filling and folding them into triangles. It’s not the holidays without these!

November 26, 2012 at 3:24 pm
  7. mary janssen

I make a homemade buttermilk custard apple pie that is everyone’s favorite with a pecan crumb topping.

November 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm
  8. Tina Powers

I want to make the Avacado cheesecake in the ad in this month’s issue. I am originally from California and we had an avacado tree in my Grandparent’s back yard. I have grown to love this fruit and when I found the picture of the green cheesecake made of avacado, I thought wow, now that’s a new one, who would have ever thought! I have tried avacado milkshakes and their great. I would use the bakeware to prepare this California grown treat with the southern twist of a pecan crust. —— Tina Powers Charlotte, NC

November 28, 2012 at 5:36 pm
  9. Diana Callahan

I am the homemade macaroni and cheese maker in my family. I get asked to bring it to every occasion where food is involved. It has become a favorite of my neice, Bella. In fact, when she comes to visit and I ask what she wants me to make for dinner, it is always the same: “Macaroni and cheese, please!”. Nothing more, nothing less. I have finally broken my wisk I use to make the sauce! I keep sticking the metal prong back in, and it keeps popping out! This Thanksgiving I thought it was strange that her mother did not ask me to bring the mac & cheese. But I had not sooner gotten through the door when there was my neice with the macaroni noodles and a block of cheese asking me to make it WITH her!!! I loved it!:) i think I prefered it that way. “Nothing says Lov’n like something from the oven!!!”

November 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm
  10. Elizabeth K

I make rum balls using my great-grandmother’s recipe!

November 30, 2012 at 9:56 am
  11. Sherry Mack

Sherry M
    I thought it was a shame to throw away the veggies I used to roast the Thanksgiving turkey on, so I made soup! I used carrots, celery and onions. The turkey juices with the herb butter and chicken stock added perfect flavor. I reheated, blended til smooth in a blender then put in a soup pot to warm again with a little half and half. Delicious!

November 30, 2012 at 10:43 pm
  12. carl smith

the most delicious and delightful item i have made is a no bake bourbon pumpkin pie and cookies

December 1, 2012 at 11:57 am
  13. Jennifer Lucus

I have been learning and beginning to love the act and art of cooking and baking just in the past few years….the more compliments I get the more I love to do it! My favorite thing would have to be homemade Mac and cheese which I make differently every time! I don’t have any complaints…yet! I don’t have any utensils or tools and would love to start with winning these!

December 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm
  14. Sharee’ Whitson

Sharee Whitson
    For Thanksgiving I make a recipe called Pumpkin Cake with White chocolate cream cheese frosting. Toppings include cranberrries, white chocolate morsels and chopped walnuts. This recipe was given to me by a dear friend, and I love to make it, not only to think of my friend but for the joy it brings my family…..eating it:)

December 3, 20212 at 8.59 p.m.

December 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm
  15. Sally Olson

Frosted sugar cookies.

December 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm
  16. Anita Mayrand

I feel right at home in the kitchen and love spending time there, cooking for my family and friends. My most favorite types of meals to cook are Thai and Indian, which are very complex and time consuming but oh so worth it! I am always on the lookout for different and cool gadgets to make my time in the kitchen fun. I would love to win this set!

December 7, 2012 at 8:23 am
  17. Lee Ellen C

My mama and I make (fantasy) fudge every year. It is absolutely not Christmas without it. Though, that doesn’t require any baking… We always bake a cake for Jesus’ birthday (celebrated Christmas Eve). We normally bake an angel food cake, but in recent years I’ve baked one of the Southern Living cakes (usually one of the top 3 finalist cakes). My mama taught me how to bake when I was 8, so I’ve been perfecting my skills almost my entire life. I loving nothing more than baking in the kitchen, and I would LOVE to add these SL tools to my kitchen!

December 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm
  18. anne marie haugen

My Gramma was right off the boat from Prague. She brought with her many traditions, the most infamous is the Christmas Eve Dinner. I have started making her favorite sweet bread, houska. I’m now the baker of her bread, and I hope she’s watching & pleased that someone still makes it!

December 11, 2012 at 7:59 am
  19. Jill

Utterly Deadly Pecan Pie is the name of the recipe that started with my Mom and her sister and is a family legend at Christmas that continues with their children and grandchildren.

December 11, 2012 at 10:38 am
  20. randi

I love to make Swedish Tea Rings for breakfast on Christmas Morning!

December 11, 2012 at 11:18 am
  21. Candy Brown

I have been making an Italian Cookie from an old recipe of my paternal great grandmother for about 10 years now. The recipe was handed down to my grandmother who made them until she passed; and then my Mom made them until she, too, passed. Although I follow the recipe exactly, mine are not quite the same. The cookie is called “Cuccidata”, although no one has ever been quite sure of the spelling.

December 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm
  22. Surretha Uebel

I make cranberry-orange pound cakes to give as gifts to our friends. I make a butter sauce to go over the top and put it in a mason jar and put it all into a red and green market basket.

December 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm
  23. Stacey Ervin

I always make peanut butter buckeyes and frosted Christmas sugar cookies – they are family favorites! If I have extra time, my favorite thing to make is a yule log cake complete with meringue mushrooms.

December 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm
  24. Anna B

Every year my grandmother, my mother, and I get together on the day after the Thanksgiving to kick off the Christmas season by baking fruitcakes together. They are full of sweet candied fruits and pecans that we gather, crack, and clean from my grandmother’s pecan trees. From this day until Christmas, my grandmother moistens and seasons the cakes by placing sliced apples around and on top of them and misting the cakes with apple juice. It is a recipe that my grandmother has tweaked and honed for fifty years. Folks all over town ask if they can have a bit of the coveted Christmas fruitcake. It’s in limited supply though, so you better be in good graces with the cooks!

December 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm
  25. Holly Wirth

As a Southern girl, my kitchen is filled with pecan pie, chocolate buckeyes and cookies by the dozen. However, a favorite in our house is bread pudding topped with a warm white chocolate butter glaze. I only make this decadent treat for once a year, on Christmas day. Over the years, I have made variations with nuts or different sauces, but bread pudding is always found on our Christmas table.

December 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm
  26. Kim

Every year I make Mrs. Floyd’s Divinity from the December 2000 issue of Southern Living magazine. The only difference is that I make three batches – one white, one colored with green food coloring, and one colored with red food coloring. It wouldn’t be Christmas with Divinity!

December 20, 2012 at 9:44 am
  27. Doris Bater

I made the most delicious Irish creme bundt cake. It was wonderful with a topping of. Pecans and Irish creme glaze.

December 23, 2012 at 9:36 pm
  28. Jan Lilly

This baking set would help me whip up the crushed Oreo chocolate mint chip cookies. These are super yummy. Peppermint is all the rage this year in baked goods.

December 26, 2012 at 5:46 pm
  29. Elaine Johnston

I love to make orange thumbprint cookies dipped in bittersweet chocolate. As beautiful as they are delicious.

December 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm
  30. Emily M

Growing up with seven kids in my family, holidays were frugal. I remember Classic Chex party mix. I didn’t realize I had continued this tradition until my own kids, adults with kids of their own, tweeted: “the smell of party mix in the ocean with extra Worchestershire sauce! Ahh, holidays and memories.”

December 31, 2012 at 7:48 pm