You Could Win This Mason Jar Cocktail Shaker!

November 12, 2012 | By | Comments (440)
Mason Shaker

Photo by Ralph Anderson

Leave it to Virginia natives-turned-Brooklyn hipsters to come up with the most spirited take yet on the endlessly useful Mason jar: a cocktail shaker. Everyone here at Southern Living is all shook-up over the Mason Shaker, featured in the Holiday Gift Guide in our December issue. It’s festive, practical and super-Southern. We’ll drink to that!

You could win this cocktail shaker!  In the comments section below, tell us your favorite use for a Mason jar. Our favorite answer wins the shaker. The contest begins now and ends December 31. Click here for official rules.

Let’s hear how you up-cycle the Mason jar!

COMMENTS

1. Sonya Blanton

I LOVE using my trusty ole mason jars for drinking out of, canning, storing things, or anything else I can think of!! :)

June 2, 2014 at 1:55 am
  2. doris

After the jam is gone I like to use mason jars for pickles.

January 8, 2013 at 9:49 pm
  3. Carol Edwards

I have been using small mason jars for gazpacho in individual servings with a dollop of sour cream, an avocado slice, and some cilantro. Guests really like eating out of the small jars that are just the right size. I resorted to this when I didn’t have enough soup bowls for a casual dinner party and didn’t want the guests seated too soon for a first course.

January 8, 2013 at 5:24 pm
  4. Alicia

We love to serve icecream sundaes in mason jars! Mint chip with brownies, fresh whipped cream and homemade chocolate sauce – delish. Ice tea spoons are perfect!

January 8, 2013 at 4:25 pm
  5. Martha Sims

Shaking up gravy so there are no lumps!!

January 8, 2013 at 2:19 pm
  6. cookie davenport

We use them for all the usual things, drinking, storage, canning, outdoor candle holders for the patio and many others, BUT OUR FAVORITE thing to do with them is to gift them! Filled w/cookies, homemade candy, pasta sauce, pickled peppers, bbq sauce, we add rafia w/a to/from card and/or a colorful appropriate piece of cloth under the ring and over the lid for decoration! The giftees ALWAYS love them!! We pick them up at garage sales or off Freecycle.com!

January 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm
  7. Susan H.

I love to store my baking chips in them…chocolate, toffee,, butterscotch.

January 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm
  8. Susan Barlow

Hold our treasures found at the beach…including a little bit of sand!

January 8, 2013 at 11:31 am
  9. Rae

It’s difficult to come up with a favorite because we use them for everything from martinis around a roaring fire to lemonade on the deck. We get the best response though to a mason jar filled with colorfully decorated two-toned pill-shaped sugar cookies with a get well label…sometimes funny and sometimes heartwarming.

January 8, 2013 at 11:24 am
  10. Cheryl

Just everyday leftovers – just empty into jar, refridgerate, then nuke. That is why when I bought a new microwave, it had to be tall enough for a quart jar to stand! So easy and no worries about plastics in mw.

January 8, 2013 at 11:22 am
  11. Vicki Anderson

Just used our set of Mason Jars for a Bloody Mary Bar at a Day After Wedding Brunch.

December 31, 2012 at 8:13 pm
  12. Emily Ragland

to store anything and everything

December 31, 2012 at 7:27 pm
  13. Jenn H

I like to use them as a vase for showers, etc. Just super glue a ribbon around them in the color scheme you are going for and Voila! Instant beautiful vase with a flower inserted.

December 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm
  14. Rebecca Langford

Mason jars make sweet tea just that much better! Definitely my fave use!

December 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm
  15. Diane

This year at our non profits annual fundraiser, we used mason jars in a variety of ways. We lined a path with shepherd hooks and hung mason jars with electric votive candles for a fire safe and twinkling entry to our farmhouse. We also used different sized mason jars filled with red kidney beans and beeswax candles as center pieces. Additionally, we added mason jars filled with fresh cut flowers & herbs from our gardens. Since we are a horse farm, the mason jars were perfect to set the mood and casual feel to our farm to stable dinner.

December 31, 2012 at 4:05 pm
  16. Katie Smith

I use my mason jar to collect spare change for my Fun Fund!

December 31, 2012 at 3:51 pm
  17. Liz

I use them to display sea shells. You can label where you collected them.

December 31, 2012 at 3:46 pm
  18. Brooke

For my recent wedding I used them for so many things including flower vases, candle holders, and favor boxes. A great inexpensive alternative!

December 31, 2012 at 3:06 pm
  19. LeeAnne Leathers

I still love to use a big Mason jar in the summer time to hold the fireflies that we catch. We have fun with our “nightlight” until time to go inside, when we release them all into the night.

December 31, 2012 at 2:11 pm
  20. Robin Monroe

I make thematic mini-terrariums in them to give as gifts marking special occasions.

December 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm
  21. Suzanne Tuck

We use mason jars for food storage, drinking glasses, candle holders, workshop storage, etc. Like the wide-mouth jars the best.

December 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm
  22. Ginger

We use mason jars for everything. Craft storage, food storage & gifting, brewing tea, food prep, mixing beverages ( <–would be a lot more fun with the Mason Shaker!), I even use an extra large mason jar to wash my hand-wash-only "unmentionables" (just toss in some laundry soap, add water, stuff in the clothing items, and shake!). I also have some vintage aqua blue mason jars on display that once belonged to my grandmother. Viva la Mason Jar!!!

December 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm
  23. Nancy Risch

I like to use them for fresh cut flowers from my garden, especially spring tulips and daffodils or daylilies. They are also perfect for camellia or forsythia cuttings. Oh, and we use them for pickles and jams, too!

December 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm
  24. Maribeth Southworth

This is not glamorous, but……As a Virginian transplanted to NJ, I use them to collect the grease generated from my Southern cooking….especially fried oysters. :-)

December 31, 2012 at 11:57 am
  25. Mary Ann

A real American classic fit for any occasion. I was recently at a wedding shower that had all the flowers in mason jars, the favors were candles in mason jars. Classic and simple.

December 31, 2012 at 11:55 am
  26. Ruth Lundy

I use Mason Jars as Table Decorations, I lightly sprayed them with white paint, glue and salt on the mouth of the jars to look like snow. I put a battery tea light in each and filled them with clear bag filler. they were very pretty.

December 31, 2012 at 11:52 am
  27. Laura Pitts

I use the mini mason jars to serve delightful individual servings, such as Strawberry Pretzel Salad.

December 31, 2012 at 11:43 am
  28. Dianne Different

I make the BEST caramel sauce and I can’t keep enough for my friends requests

December 31, 2012 at 11:31 am
  29. Laura Cook

all my rice, pastas, etc…to keep out bugs. then drinks, bake in them, make jelly, bath salts, grease jar, in the boat for everything, in the garage for nuts, bolts, screws, nails, in the painting room for water, paintbrushes, for my ends and pieces when knitting…where to I NOT have a Mason Jar???

December 31, 2012 at 11:30 am
  30. Darlene Meli

Believe it or not..I still use my Mason jars for canning all of the great veggies and fruits that are so plentiful in the summer. I love seeing them all lined up on the shelves…showing all the pretty colors of the goodies inside!!

December 31, 2012 at 11:27 am
  31. Laura jones

I love ‘ mix’ gifts and candles!

December 31, 2012 at 11:24 am
  32. Michelle Weiss

So fun to put cookie mix in the jars and give as holiday gifts!

December 31, 2012 at 11:22 am
  33. Kelly

We use mason jars for everything – mainly drinking glasses.

December 31, 2012 at 11:22 am
  34. The Year in Mason Jars – The Daily South | Your Hub for Southern Culture

[…] Recently we told you about the Mason Shaker, a cocktail shaker created by two Brooklynites by way of Virginia. Today is your last day to enter […]

December 31, 2012 at 8:50 am
  35. Fi NiMhuirgheasa

We store our super delicious bacon jelly in Mason jars. YUM!!

December 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm
  36. Christine Thompson

We use them for all kinds of things. My hubby uses them for loose change. I use them as straw holders, makeup brush holders and dry food storage.

December 25, 2012 at 7:03 pm
  37. Jerri Knipstein

Some people may not know this but you can use mason hare with your blender to make individual drinks luke margaritas. Just screw the bottom component of you blender. The mason jar will be upside down. Great idea!

December 23, 2012 at 1:08 pm
  38. Carrie

For my Garden Party this year, I made cocktails in mason jars and put the mason jars in a galvanized tub full of ice. Guest could pick up a fresh ice cocktail throughout the party!

December 22, 2012 at 10:11 am
  39. Stacey

I use them to hold seeds for next year’s sunflower garden!

December 21, 2012 at 7:42 pm
  40. Elizabeth Hamilton

We use medium sized mason jars for everyday drinking glasses. Love them!

December 21, 2012 at 3:02 pm