We’re Thankful to Be Southern Because Blush and Bashful Will Always Be Our Signature Colors

November 13, 2012 | By | Comments (6)
Steel Magnolias

Photo by Redferns/Getty Images

This year marks 25 years since Robert Harling’s play Steel Magnolias debuted off-Broadway at the WPA Theatre in New York City. Inspired by the loss of his sister and set in a fictional Louisiana parish, the play introduced us to one-liners like “If you don’t have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me.” Celebrate with a slice of red velvet armadillo cake or a stay in Shelby’s room at The Steel Magnolia House (steelmagnoliahouse.com) in Natchitoches. The innkeeper keeps the house looking as it did when the movie was filmed there in 1989.

COMMENTS

1. Becky Childs

Thanks for the title of this! It truly made me laugh out loud–and the smile is still in place! :~)

November 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm
  2. Rob Schellinger

“Thanks, Ouiser. Nothin’ better than a good piece of a**.”

Always my favorite. That would be something I’dve said.

November 13, 2012 at 8:01 pm
  3. Susan Jackson

Of course, Jennifer…. Playing Ouiser in the PNC Arts Council production, there many quotes from all of the characters, but I did like, “I can’t even imagine how you may GRAY icing.” Oh, and “He’s such a gentleman, I bet he even takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it.

November 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm
  4. Fran

My favorite line has always been, “Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.”

November 13, 2012 at 11:32 pm
  5. Laura

My favorite line is… “A moment on the lips, forever on your hips.”

November 14, 2012 at 7:45 am
  6. Susan

“M’Lynn, what’s wrong with you these days? You got a reindeer up your butt?”; “Sandy’s so confused he doesn’t know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt.”; And of course Ouiser’s tirade about plays, movies, and books.

November 14, 2012 at 10:56 am