We’re Giving Away All These Southern Christmas Cards

November 14, 2012 | By | Comments (81)
Southern Made Christmas Cards

Photo by Ralph Lee Anderson

There’s only one piece of mail that trumps the obligatory thank you card in the South — the holiday card. Admit it, one of the best parts of the holidays is seeing everyone’s Christmas photo card. It’s like a who’s who of holiday well-wishers.

We tapped our favorite Southern stationery companies (Inkspot Workshop, Concrete Lace, Hammerpress, Night Owl Paper Goods, Odd Balls, Rifle Paper Company, and Shortgrass Designs) to deliver their most festive and most original holiday designs! And now, we are giving away a set of every card featured in our December issue to one lucky winner.

In the comments section below, tell us your best idea for a Christmas card display. The most creative answer wins. The contest begins now and ends December 3. Click here for official rules.

COMMENTS

1. Dee

For a while they sit in a wooden sleigh, then I get out my circle cutter and turn them into ornaments and hang them from the curtain rods all around the house.

November 20, 2012 at 6:58 pm
  2. Jennifer Weeks

2 pieces of giant poster board glued together to make it look like a giant greeting card. Then you can post your Christmas cards to it as you receive them in the mail. You can decorate the giant greeting card anyway you like, but I recommend using lots of glitter and putting a giant Hallmark crown on the back so that viewers get the idea.

November 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm
  3. Bonnie

I have a piece of checkered ribbon that I hang over a doorway, then I take a hole puncher and put a hole in the card corner and put a piece of twine in the hole and tie it around the ribbon.

November 20, 2012 at 8:30 pm
  4. Phyllis Ferguson

I have little metal holders that hold the very special pictures of family and friends – so fun to see the little ones grow from the years.

November 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm
  5. Julie

Place the cards, letters and family pictures underneath the glass tabletop of your dining room table. The display creates a beautiful table scape, and no tablecloth needed. Everyone will enjoy perusing them during Christmas celebrations, and they make interesting conversation starters. We all need help when sitting next to that Aunt who can’t stop talking about her grand kids.

November 20, 2012 at 10:55 pm
  6. Dana Munoz

I form them into a Christmas tree shape, taped on my kitchen pantry door. Then the remainder of them hang on red ribbon strung around my living room, draped along the top of the room from the corners. I saw this in a British magazine one year and the ribbon went from room to room.

November 21, 2012 at 7:12 am
  7. Jessie C.

i have an old wire “tree” that i decorate & add the cards to w/small clips. it serves a dual purpose & was especially perfect for us when we were still living in apartments. now it is a beautiful dining room wall decoration every year…

November 21, 2012 at 8:19 am
  8. Robin Kelly

I used an old large picture frame, strung picture wire in rows, used tiny clothespins (can be sprayed red, white or green) and then clipped Christmas cards to the wire and then display it like I would any picture on the wall. The nice thing is it is reuseable and it is totally appropriate to display photos in any season!

November 21, 2012 at 8:36 am
  9. C jernigan

At first they are lined up on the windowsill, then they fill up a Christmas basket. I never can throw them away – many are glued to packages next year with coordinating (solid) gift wrap. I even save the photocards. It’s nice to watch families grow and expand!

November 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
  10. Rebecca Culbertson

I use them to decorate each room of my house – the Santa cards go in the kitchen, Christmas tree cards go on the den oak shelf my father made, snowmen cards go in the bathroom, angel cards go in the bedroom. I have cards from as far back as 30 years and I remember each sender as I place them for our celebration.

November 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm
  11. jea smith

i love Christmas card on the mantel…surround them with garland and candles…it just says “love”

November 21, 2012 at 9:08 pm
  12. Elizabeth Burnes

I love to tie the Christmas cards we receive into our traditional holiday decoration. I take favorite cards from years past and punch two holes in the top and run a slim shiny sheer red ribbon through so that they can be hung amongst the ornaments on our Christmas tree. For the new additions each year, I tuck them into the garland on our mantle along with berry sprigs and an antique gold “happy holidays” sign. The overflow cards sit in a red wicker sleigh on the hearth. When the fire is lit and the tree lights are on everything feels perfect – we are surrounded by the happy wishes of everyone we love!

November 21, 2012 at 9:11 pm
  13. Barbara Simmons

Cover a styro foam Snowman completely with used Christmas cards. Decopage,top with a hat and face and you have a wonderful Snowman for inside or outside display!

November 23, 2012 at 11:39 am
  14. Rebecca Parrack

We like to cover a door in the family area of our home; all go there, cards, pics, letters. It’s a great way for each family member that arrives home daily to receive holiday cheer from friends near and far.

November 23, 2012 at 6:59 pm
  15. Joan M. Ball

I have a large dowel rod with finials that hangs over a long, tall server set against a wall of windows. I hang my Christmas cards from glittery ribbon, so that the ribbon and cards dance and glisten in the sunshine. Even on a cloudy day, they add so much sparkle and color.

November 24, 2012 at 9:16 am
  16. Barbara Summey

I take my old cards: and make baskets out of them: with mod podge: very nice to put ornaments: or napkins or use as center pieces on your tables: Love win some of your cards for another project:

November 24, 2012 at 10:53 am
  17. Elizabeth Almond

When I was little, I remember my mom taping the Christmas cards to the door frames in the living and dining rooms. When she ran out of space, she taped them to the walls. It brings back great memories.

November 25, 2012 at 8:59 pm
  18. Mary Anne Eason

I hang mine on the slats of our coat closet’s bi-fold door in the mud room so they are visible to everyone who enters, plus I see them every time I go in or out. It is a nice cheerful reminder of friends, family and fellowship at this time of year.

November 26, 2012 at 10:52 am
  19. Terri Hoover Dunham

I know it’s tacky, but I like to tape all of the Christmas cards we receive on the inside of the doorway leading from our foyer into our kitchen. When I was a kid, that’s how my mom displayed our Christmas cards. It’s a little thing that evokes memories of my childhood.

November 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm
  20. Joy Withers

I place them at random angles on my desk top.

November 28, 2012 at 8:36 am
  21. mary janssen

I slide them between the slats in my wooden blinds. It looks very pretty.

November 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm
  22. Karla Brooks

I punch a hole in the top left corner of the cards and tie them to the spindles of my stairs with a colorful Christmas ribbon. They look very fun, festive, and inviting, along with garland on the banister. We love adding them each day and seeing the collection of sweet photos and messages from our family and friends grow. By Christmas the spindles are full, and the cards are always the last decoration to come down!

November 29, 2012 at 8:56 am
  23. Diana Callahan

MY mom has a large green wooden Chrismas wreath with slats where the cards fit in nicely. This is a tradition that we all enjoy:)

November 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm
  24. Elizabeth K

I frame old cards and use them as holiday displays in my powder room!

November 30, 2012 at 9:50 am
  25. Phyllis

Spray paint branches/I used both white and silver paint. Place the branches in an attractive planter, hang cards on the branches using ribbon or raffia, is a festive conversation piece.

December 1, 2012 at 10:00 am
  26. carl smith

i would put all of our christmas cards out in our card reindeer and sitting out where people could see them

December 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm
  27. Jennifer Lucus

I usually decorate my mantle with our Christmas cards! I use a lot of greenery and metal santas, snowmen and red glass then as we receive the cards I stick them randomly throughout the mantle. My guest are always drawn to the mantle and the warmth of the fire from the gas logs!

December 2, 2012 at 5:41 pm
  28. Sara G

As a child my mom would collect the cards we would receive thru the season and as we got closer to Xmas and our card collection grew, she let my sister and i chose which cards we liked the most….and we would assemble them into a Christmas tree shape and tape them on a door in our kitchen.

December 2, 2012 at 10:02 pm
  29. Karla Wagner

I hang a clothes line and pin the cards up with a display of various mittens and a few Christmas kitchen towels.

December 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm
  30. Surretha Uebel

We live in a 150 year old farmhouse and I have hung pretty Christmas ribbon on the deep wide door frames. I use a clothes pin the attach each card to the ribbon. I put the cards on the slats of an old shutter that is propped next to the entryway.

December 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm
  31. Carol ONeill

I take a large wood hoop and attach the cards with clothes pins and it makes a christmas card wreath.

December 21, 2012 at 8:27 am