You Could Win These Beeswax Candles!

November 16, 2012 | By | Comments (120)
Beeswax Candles

Photo: Ralph Anderson

Everyone and everything looks best in candlelight. And, candles add a special touch to holiday dining. Subtle flecks of glitter add extra sparkle to these hand-rolled beeswax candles from Vicksburg, Mississippi candlemaker, La Petite Abeille which we featured in November’s Southern Made.

We are giving away two pairs of La Petite Abeille’s Glint candlesticks. In the sections below, tell us what famous Southerner in history (past or present) you would like to share a drink with and why? The winning answer wins the candles. The contest begins now and ends November 30. Click here for official rules.

So, who is your famous drinking buddy?

Other giveaways from the November issue:
Win a Pewter Coffee Service from Tennessee Pewter
Win an Artisan Board from Vintage at Heart
Win a Serving Bowl from Louisville Stoneware
Win Hand-Painted Table Linens from Oxford & Company
Win a Custom Carving Set from Blackwell Knives
Win a Menu and Place Card Set from Bell’Invito
Win Pewter Candle Sticks from ASL Pewter

COMMENTS

1. Laurel Whitlock

Lee Smith. When I a read her book “Cake Walk” I thought she must be my missing twin. I’d swear I am a lost southern soul trapped in the north.

November 17, 2012 at 4:34 pm
  2. Claudia

Zelda Fitgerald. Fascinating, tragic figure.

November 17, 2012 at 4:01 pm
  3. Lisa

I would love to have a drink and dinner with with Mark Twain who was not only one of the original foodies but a man whose books shaped our American culture.

November 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm
  4. Suzanne @ Welcome to Willow House

Harper Lee would be an interesting companion — her ability to see inside cultural mores is beyond intriguing!

November 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm
  5. Tricia Jackson Jones

Faulkner – He writes in the longest sentences!

November 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm
  6. Laurel

Robert E. Lee because we share a birthday and he was a brilliant military mind. He also had a wicked sense of humor and quite a ladies man! I expect we would have a delightful chat!

November 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm
  7. Dell Mitravich

I know I would have a great time with Paula Deen.

November 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm
  8. Jacqueline

Thomas Jefferson, because he was such an innovator in
    lots of different areas. I think it would be a lively and information
    filled conversation!

November 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm
  9. Melanie McDowell

Helen Keller, What an amazing, miraculous story of perseverance and triumph!

November 17, 2012 at 12:31 pm
  10. jane

johny cash

November 17, 2012 at 12:25 pm
  11. Monica Heath

I believe Mark Twain a/k/a Samuel Clemmens (sp?) was a Southerner. If so, Mark Twain absolutely! If it must be a living Southerner, then Taylor Swift!

November 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm
  12. SALLY TEWS

I think~Paula Deen~A very Southern Lady:-)

November 17, 2012 at 11:48 am
  13. Krystal Papillion Lewis

My grandmother, Josephine Guillory Papillion. She was a true creole, French-speaking southerner that I desperately miss everyday. Growing up I would share a bottle of Clearly Canadian water with her. I would love to see her face if I ever had the chance to drink an adult beverage with her.

November 17, 2012 at 11:46 am
  14. Vicki Anderson

Nick Saban
    As a life time Bama Fan who was there during the Bear I would totally enjoy a cold brew and some football conversation.

November 17, 2012 at 11:45 am
  15. pameladainsworth

Oseola McCarty she was a truly selfless person and it would be an honor to meet the woman who had worked hard all her life and then left the bulk of her life savings to a college so children she had never met could have a better life than her. I find her story extraordinary !

November 17, 2012 at 10:02 am
  16. Rhonda Delk

Dinah Shore – I would love to hear her experiences as a true southerner in the spotlight. I am sure she took a lot of ragging for her smooth southern voice and gentle ways–but I bet no one teased when she sang.

November 16, 2012 at 9:09 pm
  17. Sue Pearson

My great great grandfather, General Sidney Sherman, who was the second in command to Sam Houston in Texas. I would like to ask him why he would leave a comfortable life in Kentucky to go and fight for the freedom of Texas from Mexico. The flag that the ladies of Frankfort, KY sent him off to war with now hangs behind the speaker’s seat in the room used by the Texas legislature!’He is also credited with first yelling, ‘Remember the Alamo

November 16, 2012 at 8:02 pm
  18. Carol Ann

A no-brainer for me on this one….Pat Conroy.

November 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm
  19. Sunnymay

Wynton Marsalis because he plays the horn mighty fine and can get jazz to make blues feel more upbeat.

November 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm
  20. Mellisa Rock

Paula Deen!!

November 16, 2012 at 4:05 pm
  21. mendy

I don’t drink :)

November 16, 2012 at 2:46 pm
  22. Ellen

Paula Deen, I think she’s charming and we’d enjoy nice conversation and edible goodies.

November 16, 2012 at 2:32 pm
  23. Molly Prince

All the ladies of Steel Magnolias! Just think about how lively that drink would be, and how much more about absolutely everything you would learn! Oh lord haha

November 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm
  24. clairestrebeck

I would love to share a drink with Elvis Presley! You can’t top the king! :-)

November 16, 2012 at 12:53 pm
  25. Libby Stady

Definitely Elvis Presley because I admired him so much. Still cannot believe he was gone so young. He really was a generous and thoughtful person. Would just want to know how he feels about what happened in his life, what he might have done differently if given the chance.

November 16, 2012 at 12:28 pm
  26. T Holbrook

While I’d be drinking sweet ice tea, I would like to share a drink and conversation with Alfred Uhry. I would give anything to know how he created such memorable female characters in Driving Miss Daisy and Mystic Pizza.

November 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm
  27. Nancy Wheeler

My mother-in-law who has passed on but in our hearts especially during the holidays. She was a lovely southern “lady” who treated me like a daughter. Miss you Ma!

November 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm
  28. LaLa

Paula Deen… Simply because Miss Paula has some great conversations to be had… Especially when, say, a couple of mint juleps are involved… I think it might get downright lively and loud!

November 16, 2012 at 11:36 am
  29. Shari

I would love to have a drink with Matthew McConaughey. I love his deep sultry voice. I melt whenever the Reliant Energy commercials come on.

November 16, 2012 at 11:35 am
  30. JoLynn

The Grumpy Gardener, Steve Bender. Might not be so grumpy after one or two.

November 16, 2012 at 11:34 am
  31. Jill Bertoia

Dolly Parton any day. She is super woman!

November 16, 2012 at 11:28 am
  32. Sherry

Truman Capote. I’m certain he’d have the best gossip to share!

November 16, 2012 at 11:17 am
  33. Christy Underwood

Christy Jordan. She is a wonderful cook who shares her family’s heritage andesite her cooking. I think spending an afternoon with her would be like visiting an old friend.

November 16, 2012 at 11:16 am
  34. Ardee Eichelmann

Kate Chopin…she led the way for many women writers and those of us in the South who put pen to paper. She is a true jewel of our Southern culture and heritage.

November 16, 2012 at 11:13 am
  35. Shelley

Blake Shelton. I love his music and his sense of humor. Plus, I’m pretty sure it would be a few drinks and not just one!

November 16, 2012 at 11:12 am
  36. patticake

Hmm you didn’t say they had to be alive … so I’m going to go with Truman Capote. He has a dashing southern style, biting wit and I’m sure he would have some good conversation!

November 16, 2012 at 11:07 am
  37. Cindy Gill

I would love to sit and talk with Thomas Jefferson about his gardens, his home, the country and what in his opinion, the future holds for us in it’s present state. I would love to walk through his gardens and learn of his different plant species and how to care for them–just soak up his wisdom!

November 16, 2012 at 11:02 am
  38. Debbie Pranger

I would love to share a drink Dolly Parton she is a southern gal
    But has a colorful story and smart strong and honest. She also seems to
    fun loving. I think she also has help to change the
    image that you can be pretty and still advance
    you career. Plus she seem real and the inside

November 16, 2012 at 10:58 am
  39. laura l.

Flannery O’Connor because she was strong enough to write during difficult times as a woman, she struggled with physical illness, and her words to this day have meaning and significance to me. She never married and had a strong faith, and her writing truthfully depicts a dark sense of humor and hope.

November 16, 2012 at 10:46 am
  40. Shirley Marlay

Pat Conroy! I consider him the best Deep South writer of my time. I started writing short stories after reading all of his books. Would love to have a drink with Mr. Conroy to figure out how I can move on to writing a novel.

November 16, 2012 at 10:44 am
  41. Kristen

Reese Witherspoon! I just love her and would be thrilled to meet her. Not only is she a southern lady, but she’s played in some “southern” films as well – Sweet Home Alabama and Walk the Line. :)

November 16, 2012 at 10:43 am
  42. Margaret Teague

Dolly Parton

November 16, 2012 at 10:39 am
  43. Annette Roomsburg

Chef John Folse, because he is a wonderful person!! He’s always happy and really enjoys life in general:)

November 16, 2012 at 10:35 am
  44. Anita Stafford

P. Allen Smith – he’s an awesome cook and gardener, maybe he’d share a few tips!

November 16, 2012 at 10:21 am
  45. Lori Stewart

Thomas Jefferson. . .He was the the original Foodie and he LOVED his home!!

November 16, 2012 at 10:15 am
  46. Paula

Fannie Flagg…a prolific and funny writer, actress, wrote one of the greatest southern movies ever and is a true southerner. Love her!

November 16, 2012 at 10:12 am
  47. Sandra Beck

Paula Deen of today…Kephart who trekked the Southern Appalachian mtns….

November 16, 2012 at 10:11 am
  48. Lori Winstead

I’d pick William Faulkner! Maybe I could get some great pointers on writing the next great Southern novel!

November 16, 2012 at 10:06 am
  49. Maggie Holt

Johnny Cash … Self explanatory!

November 16, 2012 at 10:02 am
  50. Sharon A Oakes

It would definitely be Miss Paula Deen. Such a true southern lady. Her smile and her charm are contageous!

November 16, 2012 at 8:20 am