Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Mobile’s Men’s Pop-Up Shop. Looking for the perfect gifts for the gentlemen in your life? Purveyor of cool e-commerce site Lyonstate has opened the doors to its first storefront—a pop-up shop that will be open in downtown Mobile through the end of December. Stock up on the e-shop’s favorites such as Billy Reid shoes, The Hillside pocket squares, and A.P.C. pullovers.
2. Charleston’s Charity Supper. The hottest ticket in Charleston this week is to the Boroughs to Boroughs dinner at The Grocery tonight. All proceeds (including the servers tips) will be donated to Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. The $150 price gets you a six-course meal (with wine pairings) made by some of Charleston’s best chefs including Josh Keeler, Mike Lata, and Kevin Johnson.
3. A Bag For All Seasons. During the holidays we all end up carting around more than our fair share of extra baggage. That’s why we are loving this line of roomy leather totes by Durham, North Carolina native Krissy Anderson. Every bag in the Mill & Bird collection is hand-stitched using American-made leathers for a look that’s classic, and like all fine things, meant to get better with time.
4. Columbia’s Charcuterie Class. Calling all bacon lovers! Columbia’s Motor Supply Company Bistro hosts a make-your-own-bacon workshop today. The restaurant’s executive chef, Tim Peters, will guide students in spicing up to one pound of Caw Caw Creek, pork while also helping aspiring charcuterie makers decode French cooking jargon.
5. South Florida’s Art-Centric Week. While Art Basel (December 6-9) heats up Miami this week don’t forget about Art Miami (December 4-9), the city’s longest running contemporary art fair, which draws more than 125 international galleries to the Wynwood neighborhood. This year’s show will include a six-and-a-half ton exhibit by renowned street artist Banksy.