Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Your New Soundtrack for the Season. We’re loving Mississippi-bred Sanders Bohlke’s new album, Ghost Boy. It was recorded as a complete work meant to be listened to from start to finish. Perfect for long, winter days. Check out the title track’s video at the end.
2. SFA-Approved Dinner. Food writer and chef Robert St. John hosts a Southern Foodways Alliance-benefit dinner at his Hattiesburg restaurant, The Parrot Café, tonight with special guest John T. Edge. On the menu: fancy fixings such as Hackleback caviar, Benton’s potato chips, and bourbon panna cotta mixed with Southern staples like grits, collards, and hogshead cheese. The five-course dinner with wine pairings is $75, and all proceeds benefit the SFA. Call 601/264-0656 to reserve a spot.
3. Sportsmanship. The countdown for the BCS National Championship game is on! This photo of Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner and Notre Dame’s tight-end Tyler Eifert having a push-up competition at Walt Disney World was a crowd favorite last week with more than 2,000 likes on the University of Alabama Athletics’ page. We love seeing the guys engage in some friendly competition while Gaston charms the girl (ESPN College GameDay host Samantha Steele) at the College Football Awards.
4. Atlanta’s Sandwich Takeover. Inman Park favorite Victory Sandwich Bar + Emporium opens a second location in Decatur this month along with their new venture Paper Plane, which will share the same space. Paul Calvert (formerly of Pura Vida Tapas) will be manning the drink menu at both establishments so you can expect yummy cocktails from one of the city’s best bartenders.
5. Last Meals. In a tongue-and-cheek response to all that talk about the Mayan doomsday date, restaurants around the South are hosting themed menus and drink specials December 21. Some of our favorite include: a 1 a.m. free breakfast for survivors at Bone Lick BBQ in Atlanta; an extravagant dinner at Plume at The Jefferson in D.C. complete with caviar tacos and spicy Mayan chocolate cake with Colombian coffee ice cream; and apocalyptic-themed cocktails at Bettola in Birmingham at a discounted price of $7.
Bohlke’s Ghost Boy video