Valentine’s Day is a week away, which means you can still avoid the last-minute run for candy and cards at the drugstore. Yes, it’s the thought that really counts, but why not make this year even more thoughtful–and of course, Southern. Not to fear, we bring you a roundup of places to shop local for gifts that will make your sweetie swoon. Just call us Cupids.
1. Louisville, Kentucky. Find something sweet at the NuLu Valentine Open House (February 9) as stores and restaurants in the East Market District offer discounts all day. Show your receipt from a NuLu store and get deals such as free chocolate at Ghyslain, a free “love bug” at Cake Flour, or 10% off Valentine’s Day delivery at Please & Thank You.
2. Houston, Texas. If you’re looking for gifts with patina, head to The Valentine Shack event (February 7) hosted by vintage boutiques Vida Antigua and Height of Vintage. Enjoy music, cocktails, and a photo booth while browsing vintage and one-of-a-kind items such as Texas charm jewelry from Abbie Drue Designs and cute and quirky prints from Tiny Deer Studio.
3. Washington, D.C. If you’ve got a foodie to shop for, treat them to a cheese class held at Union Market (February 13-14). The folks at Righteous Cheese will be pairing artisan cheeses and sparkling wine with macarons from DC Patisserie and PollyStyle’s chocolate shortbread. They’ll love learning about pairing and serving cheese from fromager Carolyn Stromberg.
4. Memphis, Tennessee. The people behind holiday pop-up MemShop are back with a Valentine’s Day-themed Indie Style Market (February 7-15). Pick out presents from a variety of designers and artisans such as bow ties from Mo’s Bows and Marokel handcrafted jewelry.
5. Birmingham, Alabama. The Magic City’s newest pop-up (February 8-9) has plenty of gifts from local vendors. Look for pretty frocks from Tallulah’s Designs, snacks from Bitty’s Back Porch, and DIY cocktail kits from bartender Steva Casey.
6. Love note. Send your Valentine some love the old-fashioned way. One of our favorite letterpress cards (above) by Happy Penguin Press (made by SL‘s own Ashley Leath) features a beautiful quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald.