Southern Coterie: The Must-Visit Virtual Front Porch

February 13, 2013 | By | Comments (20)
Whitney Long and Cheri Leavy, Southern Coterie Founders

Whitney Long and Cheri Leavy, Southern Coterie Founders

When we meet people who say they love Southern stories involving chefs, community, cocktails, we take notice. Which is exactly what happened when we recently got to know the ladies behind The Southern Coterie,  a Southern social network that brings Southerners together to share where they’ve been — and where they’re going.

Founders Whitney Long and Cheri Leavy are the force behind The Southern Coterie. In the weeks and months to come, we’ll be featuring content from The Southern Coterie here on the Daily South, and we’ll be teaming up with them for the first Southern Coterie Summit in Jekyll Island (May 1-3). We sat down to have a glass of virtual sweet tea with the best friends and business partners, who you are going to want to get to know.

First, the basics. Whitney is a native of Elba, Alabama and graduate of Auburn University. She’s had a career as a freelance writer, scout, and stylist.  Whitney and her husband Vic have four children and call St. Simons Island, Georgia home.

Cheri, an eighth-generation Georgia’s sea island resident, The University of Mississippi and graduated from The University of Georgia. Along with her husband Vance, the former teacher runs “Bulldawg Illustrated,” which covers UGA athletics, as well as a guide to their home of Athens, Guide2Athens.

Together, they run The Southern Coterie.

SL: What are your favorite things about the South?

Whitney: Friendly folks in abundance, well-mannered children, front porch visits, covered dish lunches after church, very sweet tea J, farmers markets, fall Saturdays and my absolute favorite thing is that it is my home!

Cheri: Georgia Bulldog football Saturdays, moss draped Oak trees, the Square in Oxford, antiquing, low country boils at the beach, sweet tea, pretty tablescapes with family treasures, and storytelling amongst family and friends.

SL: How did you come up with the idea for the Southern Coterie?

Whitney: Our husbands grew up together, so we’ve known each other for a long time. After I had my children I wanted to start on a new creative project and decided on a blog. My husband suggested Cheri and I think about it together.

Cheri: In 2011, we got together for a birthday lunch and decided to start a Southern blog. But there were already a ton of amazing Southern blogs out there, so we knew we had to differentiate ourselves. We like to connect with  people, which led to the creation of a social network.

Whitney: We launched as a Tumblr blog in November 2011 and in January 2012 added a weekly newsletter. We realized that people got tripped up over the word “coterie,” so we shortened it to “Southern C,” because there are so many “C” words that related to being a Southerner — community, character, cultivation, chefs — the list goes on and on. In July of 2012 we launched our social network that allows users to interact. We call it the “social network of the South.”

SL: How does it work?

Cheri: We call it a “virtual front porch.” It’s free to register, and when you do you can share content. There are forums to people to ask suggestions and get advice, like ‘Where  should I have a cocktail when I’m in Charleston?’ It’s similar to Facebook, but with more of an intellectual dialogue, a place where people can share recipes, the books they are reading, or a meal they just had at a great Southern restaurant.

Whitney: We also share content from Southern bloggers we call our “C-Team,” including Natalie Broulette who runs TheSoHo (a blog about being a Southern hostess), Jay Ducate, who writes about Louisiana food on his BiteandBooze, and Kim Holloway, who runs StuffSouthernPeopleLike.

Cheri: We pay tribute to the traditional — all the things that make the South so special, with a nod to the new. Entertaining is a good example, and we love to talk about using your china and silver but doing it a little different than your grandmother did.

SL: Why A  Southern Coterie Summit?

Cheri: We have all this great energy going on happening online, we knew we needed to host an event in-person. So we created a niche conference for Southern C. users and tastemakers from the region.

Whitney: There are some great conferences where people can learn digital skills and network, but many have grown so large that they can be overwhelming. We wanted to create an event where people could learn how to build their online presence and do it in a relaxed environment. We’ll have presentations on social media, blogging, branding, and many other topics. And all while in a beautiful setting.

***

Southern Living is a sponsor of The Southern C. Summit, and will be hosting “Cocktails and Conversation” on Wednesday, May 1. Southern Living editors will also be speaking at the event (including yours truly) — stay tuned for details. The event is for creative entrepreneurs, seasoned business owners, social media users, bloggers, photographers and artists, among others. Tickets are on sale now (and $10 from every ticket sale goes to Southern Foodways Alliance or Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta).

Follow the Southern C on Twitter, on Facebook  and on Pinterest.

TSCLogo

COMMENTS

1. Stacy

It’s νеry simple to find out any matter on web aas comparedd to textbooks, as I found
    this post at this website.

June 15, 2014 at 1:38 am
  2. Overheard on the Virtual Front Porch: The South’s Favorite Easter Traditions – The Daily South | Your Hub for Southern Culture

[...] month, we introduced you to The Southern Coterie, a based-in-the South social network that brings Southerners together to share where they’ve [...]

March 27, 2013 at 1:01 pm
  3. fashionablechicks

Love it! They are doing a great job! I love being a part of The Southern C community.

March 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm
  4. I Found My Lance — Chivalry Part 3 | joeccombs2nd

[...] Southern Coterie: The Must-Visit Virtual Front Porch (thedailysouth.southernliving.com) [...]

March 2, 2013 at 11:02 pm
  5. The Southern C Summit | The English Room

[...] twitter @TheSouthernCSummit #tscsummit    The wonderful Southern Living feature is below.   Southern Coterie: The Must-Visit Virtual [...]

February 28, 2013 at 11:43 am
  6. Ashley

Love the Southern C! The summit seems like so much fun! Way to go, ladies!! ~Ashley

February 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm
  7. Friday Favorites: Stuff I, Myself, Like | stuff southern people like

[...] heard about The Southern C, the social network of the South? You can read all about it on the Southern Living blog or you could just take my word for it and join. Tons of great content about all things Dixie. I [...]

February 22, 2013 at 10:20 am
  8. Charles/Linda

Sweetones I’m so excited about your plans to present our South in all it’s grand ways and things that we love… the best of everything come your way, blessings, Linda and Charles White

February 21, 2013 at 9:39 pm
  9. Grownandflown

Look seeing what is going on at the SouthernC and can’t wait for the Summit!

February 21, 2013 at 5:17 am
  10. Chassity (Look Linger Love)

Looking forward to meeting you at the Summit, Erin!

February 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm
  11. hervey papele

Eva. I agree that Joyce`s storry is super… last monday I got a brand new Smart ForTwo from making $8622 this last five weeks and-even more than, 10/k last-munth. without a doubt it is the nicest job I’ve had. I began this 8-months ago and immediately started bringin in over $73.. p/h. I use the details on this web-site,,……… BIT40. ℂOℳ

February 16, 2013 at 9:09 pm
  12. Susan Corn Wainright

Hey girls….I love this.

February 16, 2013 at 8:52 am
  13. Caroline Campbell

Inspires me to continue my traditional Southern way, but with a twist!! Love all the unique ideas these talented ladies bring to “the porch” to modernize what your Mama taught ya!

February 16, 2013 at 8:18 am
  14. Melinda

Ladies, I am so grateful that I finally took a minute and looked at my Facebook — I never really do — See, I’ve been super busy lately — I recently lost my mama, the consummate steel magnolia, and I have been fighting through it. I spent hours the other day looking for her recipe for sweet corn casserole; I don’t know why I didn’t ask her before she passed, but I just thought it would always be there. Now, I am working my way through china, crystal, and silver patterns — of all our generations of women, and I look forward to your input about our futures. Must say, tho, that I can’t believe we have now adopted “sweet tea” as the way to describe our iced tea. It was sweet to begin with — folks started asking for the sweetness to be taken out. They should be ordering unsweetened tea. The sweetness is a given!

February 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
  15. Allison

So glad to see Whitney here! These ladies are truly talented, and have started something unique. As a SL subscriber, I look forward to any additional collaborations. Many thanks from Birmingham!

February 14, 2013 at 1:14 pm
  16. Kathy

As a longtime subscriber to Southern Living, and a more recent member and enthusiast of The Southern C, I am thrilled to see two of my favorites collaborating. Fabulous!

February 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm
  17. ealabord

Reblogged this on Em's on the road and commented:
    One of my many professional hats is serving as social media coordinator for The Southern C- the social network for the South. Today the network creators, Whitney and Cheri, were featured on Southern Living’s Daily South! So exciting! We are gearing up for our Southern C Summit in May so check out our website for more info. http://www.thesoutherncsummit.com/

February 13, 2013 at 4:58 pm
  18. Deirdre

Even if you’re like I am – a Yankee transplant who loves the South – this is such a cool blog spot – having access to all that sweet southern stuff, and so modern, that not only can I blend in but can appreciate living here better

February 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm
  19. VEL KNIGHT MCGRATH

KNOW THE SOUTHERN COTERIE TEAM & THE MISSION – TALENTED SOUTHERN GALS WITH AN EAR, EYE & TASTE FOR & OF ALL THINGS SOUTHERN. EXCELLENT!!
    ST. SIMONS iSLAND

February 13, 2013 at 3:33 pm
  20. Patty

Love it! I’m a Southern girl, living in Minnesota.

February 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm