We’re Giving Away a Le Creuset French Oven

February 19, 2013 | By and | Comments (394)

le creuset french oven m Were Giving Away a Le Creuset French OvenNeed a good a reason to make a delicious Beef bourguignon this winter? Look no further a new Le Creuset French Oven like this $265 one in Cherry Red.

Better known in the South as a Dutch Oven, this enamel-covered, cast-iron piece can go straight from the stovetop, to the oven, and into the dishwasher. It’s even okay to put on the grill!

In order to win Le Creuset’s French Oven tell us what’s the most complicated recipe you’ve ever made and what was the occasion? The most compelling answer wins!

The contest begins February 1st and ends February 28th. Click here for official rules.

calphalon accucore 10 piece cookware set s Were Giving Away a Le Creuset French OvenFind out what we’re giving away tomorrow, and enter to win all the other prizes being given away this month!

COMMENTS

1. sccoed

For the French oven by Le Creuset’s, I once spent 3 days making a very rich french dish from a recipe I followed from the Galloping Gourmet (anyone remember that?)!!!

February 22, 2013 at 11:50 pm
  2. Barry Palmer

Short Ribs fall off the bone for Super Bowl.

February 23, 2013 at 12:25 am
  3. sandy

I made Spaghetti Napoli with ocotpus and squid for a school project but hardest thing I make on a regular basis is beef wellington or flambe for desert- scary and have to do it right

February 23, 2013 at 4:13 am
  4. Emily R.

The most difficult recipe has to be the Short Ribs I made for my family in December. You have to time it just right or the ribs won’t be as tender.

February 23, 2013 at 4:43 am
  5. William Possibilist Weston

I really enjoyed making breads, but real sourdough bread from starter is real fun to make. A two day process but the end result and the smell while cooking makes it well worth it. Can you smell it? Can you taste it yet?

February 23, 2013 at 6:35 am
  6. Michelle Shaffer

The most complicated recipe I ever attempted was a chicken mole tamale for my husband’s birthday. I started trying recipes for a month before his birthday, each time a total disaster. Finally, a week before, I managed to get an edible tamale which I then finessed over the course of another month. He didn’t get mole tamales for his birthday, but it has become a tradition in our home to eat them New Year’s Eve!.

February 23, 2013 at 9:30 am
  7. Shannon Henson

I would love this dutch oven!! So pretty and versatile!!!

February 23, 2013 at 10:11 am
  8. Kim – Life at Golden Pines

I would just like a beautiful pan like this to be able to cook an amazing and complicated meal…………………

February 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm
  9. Linda Kidd

I think the hardest thing I have made has to be Chicken Kiev. I have to “hammer” the chicken breast into submission i.e. pound to 1/4 inch. Then place the frozen butter, which I have already prepared and cut into 8 equal pieces, into center of chicken breast. Fold up and over said butter, secure with toothpicks. Put back into frig to chill then into flour then egg then bread crumbs. Oh, I am so tired after all of this. Usually takes me a good 2 days as I have LUPUS and it seems to be active when making this dish. Husband loves this so I feel a need to prepare these for him at the very least on his birthday.

February 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm
  10. Bobbi

It would either have to be homemade bread or a pastry wrapped chicken and herb cheese spread with spinach & pine nuts, topped with a white sauce. Yeah, that would be it. Thank you.

February 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm
  11. Sandy

The most complicated recipe would be homemade tamales. Starting with the sauce made from dried chiles, four different fillings; pork, chicken green chile/cheese and sweet. The process took days and something was constantly simmering on the stove.

February 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm
  12. kyra

The most difficult recipe I tried was peanut brittle. I made it at the bequest of someone special to me. He said it was his favorite. I’d never made candy before. Oh sure it may sound simple, but the first time I tried all I got was a pot full of crystallized sugar. I cried thinking I’d never be able to do it. I tried several more times with various results, none of which were any good. Then I watched this video on youtube made by a regular housewife and she showed how to do it without a candy thermometer but rather by using your sense of smell. It worked! He was delighted and I was so proud of myself.

February 23, 2013 at 7:31 pm
  13. Jill

French onion soup; perfecting the ideal recipe took a lot of trial and error. Making the stock, simmering the onions slowly for hours until just carmalized, using toasted French bread slices, and topping the bowls with gruyere cheese before placing under the broiler…yum! So worth the time and effort. The French oven would be the perfect thing to use to simmer the onions and stock.

February 23, 2013 at 10:04 pm
  14. Victoria

Over the past several months I’ve researched ways to feed my family healthier meals in addition to lowering our grocery budget significantly. Finding alternatives to the “ready made” packaged foods and leaving all the preservatives and unhealthy additives behind has been a challenge. With a busy family we have limited time to cook. The French Oven would be the perfect addition to supporting our nutrition and diet needs as well as maintain a lower grocery budget. The recipes I’ve seen look scrumptious and healthy – I can almost smell the home cooked aromas and see the eager smiles of my family as they walk in the door hungry from sports & work! I hope you Pick my family! It would bless us bunches & bunches!

February 24, 2013 at 11:49 am
  15. Jack

Definitely the Epicurean’s version of Tiramisu Soufflé. Trying to impress an Italian gentleman friend did NOT end well for this Southern lady. I’ll stick to Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

The recipe, if you dare:

Prepare yourself for multiple steps, lots of time, delicate combining…and possible heartache.

February 24, 2013 at 5:35 pm
  16. Carol Watson

Oh goodness I have tried so many things. I would have to say that my most ambitious dinner was a full on Chinese dinner. Complete with egg rolls, crab ragoon, Fried Rice, Rice Noodles, Sweet and Sour Pork, Lemon Chicken, and Almond cookies for dessert. It was a hit with my family and friends (there was 12 of us!) I haven’t made all of these at the same time since, but it was quite the accomplishment on that day!

February 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm
  17. Rhonda P

When my Dad was down from Minnesota to winter with us in Texas, we had one of my husband’s coworker’s over to walking me through making my own, homemade tamales. My dad had never even had a tamale, and that afternoon, after cooking the pork since early morning, we were all gathered around the kitchen table folding up the best tamales ever – because we had made them ourselves! They were delicious and proved to us that even Yankees can learn the techniques and recipes to make wonderful tamales! We went on to make them several more times as a family, and I even watched my son teach his girlfriend how to make them one year!

February 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm
  18. Paperclip Hashbrown

I actually attempted Beef bourguignon about a year ago for my husband. It turned out all right for my first go. :D

February 25, 2013 at 12:22 am
  19. Debbi

I would say homemade chicken & dumplings. Cooking the whole chicken, straining the broth, making the dumplings…the whole nine yards! It turned out pretty good, but my Mother’s & Mother-in-law’s are still better. However, I will keep practicing especially since the red dutch oven would look beautiful in my red, black & silver kitchen!

February 25, 2013 at 9:31 am
  20. Bonnie Kirk

A lasagna recipe from the Atlanta Journal and Constitution for my son’s birthday, at least 12 years ago. Although the homemade sauce, multiple meats and cheeses, was a lot of work, it was delicious. I hope I find the recipe because it doesn’t seem to be on the AJC website. :(

February 25, 2013 at 9:39 am
  21. Jessica

When we lived in Guam, I made homemade lumpias, a traditional eggroll type meal from the Philippines. The first time I made them along side a lady from the Philippines so I could see the process and cook them the right way. The first time I tried them by myself, no one wanted to eat them! I’ve since tried again and they were very tasty, but not as good as the very first time.

February 25, 2013 at 9:56 pm
  22. RoRo

Almost thirty plus years ago I visited a friend’s home in New Orleans where her mom treated us to Grillades and Grits at Sunday brunch. I never forgot how delicious it was. So a couple of years ago I prepared them for our Easter Sunday brunch. There were several stages so the cooking prep stretched over a day. But, my goodness, the end result was delicious and enjoyed by all.

February 26, 2013 at 8:06 am
  23. Ilke

Croissants from Julia Child’s book. It takes whole 12 hours and trying to work the butter into the dough. flattening it between two layers of dough is hard every time. Trying to get the temperature right so butter does not get too soft , but soft enough to work with, when you press with your rolling pin, it should stay within the dough ….it tastes good and I forget all about it and make it again though :) You just have to put some elbow grease into it to deserve the crossiants :)
    I love the red Le Creusets… Would be a great addition to my kitchen…

February 26, 2013 at 9:40 am
  24. Ilke

Oh the occasion for crossiants?…Nothing.. I just wanted to see if I could… and I keep trying to get better at it. :)

February 26, 2013 at 9:41 am
  25. Joy Murphy

Southern homemade dumplings, hand rolled thin, cut in long strips to lay across your arm, hand pinched to bite size before dropping in the perfect chicken broth sauce.

February 26, 2013 at 10:52 am
  26. Kooter

The occasion was … I was bored and 14 years old. I have a large family and am the sixth child of eight. There was a vast amount of cooking done in our home while growing up. But, iwas probably the first time in my life I was home alone (those two words are almost always synonymous with TROUBLE :-)). I didn’t know what to do with myself and called a sister. Told her I was bored, and she suggested I cook something. That “something” I chose was DIVINITY! Lord, help my soul!!! By the time I was done, I was most certainly DONE. The extremely sticky concoction was everywhere! And, did I mention it was pouring down rain??? Oh, it tasted wonderful! How could something with toasted pecans that much sugar not?! The end result was having to eat it out of a bowl with a spoon. But, that wasn’t my biggest worry. ALICE was! My mom was very ticky about her kitchen, and I have understood that more as the years go by. My sister makes WONDERFUL divinity, but I’ve still attempted it a few more times. And, it’s perfectly okay and still tastes great to eat it from a bowl!

February 26, 2013 at 1:24 pm
  27. Kimberly Shelton

The occasion was Christmas Dinner for my new husband’s family. The recipe was New Orleans Gumbo and Crawfish Etouffee. Since they are from Louisiana I thought it would be special to try something that would remind them of home. I Will NEVER attempt this again! Exhausting! Plus, it didn’t taste very good! I guess I don’t have that n’alins touch!

February 26, 2013 at 1:31 pm
  28. Kelly Kakert

I regularly try new recipes for our family holidays. I have made many traditional Norwegian recipes but our favorite has been fruit soup. It is a unique mix of dried fruits, liquor, and simple syrup that makes the most delicious warm fruit compote. We serve over homemade Icecream or gingerbread.

February 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm
  29. shmamy

I made a roasted chestnut and porcini soup for a Thanksgiving meal. I had to roast the chestnuts, which exploded all over my oven, then shell them, then mush them. Many steps, labor intensive, lots of clean up!

February 26, 2013 at 7:09 pm
  30. Karen

One year for my son’s birthday he asked for sweet and sour pork. I made it, and it certainly tasted delicious, but I think I dirtied just about every bowl, skillet, and pot I had at the time to get it to completion.

February 26, 2013 at 9:31 pm
  31. Candice Hull

The most difficult recipe I’ve tried was a corn and potato chowder. It’s easy now, but when I was first starting to cook, it required a lot of chopping that I was INCREDIBLY slow at and everything has to be timed properly since you are using cream and I did not know what I was doing.

February 26, 2013 at 11:29 pm
  32. Pat Carrington

After seeing the movie “Julie and Julia” a couple of years ago, I wanted to try a Julia Child recipe. I chose her Beouf Bourguignon from “Mastering the Art of French Cooking”. Went to the library and photocopied the recipe, did the grocery shopping, and with the help of my husband started to cook. We have a group of friends that we like to entertain and they loved it—said it looked like a picture from a magazine. We have made the recipe half a dozen times now and love it every time but it is time and labor intensive! Usually takes 4 1/2 to 5 hours from start to finish.

February 27, 2013 at 8:23 am
  33. Amy Jones

The most complicated recipe I have made was my grandmother’s gumbo. The recipe requires a lot of prep work days before cooking the gumbo, so it’s definitely not a spur-of-the-moment meal. She uses ham stock as the base, so a day before, you boil the ham and reserve the stock. You also prepare the shrimp and crab meat the day prior, by peeling and de-veining the shrimp and picking the shells out of the fresh crab meat. The day of making the gumbo, there is a lot of chopping/sauteing of onion, celery, okra, and garlic. Then, hours upon hours of simmering and adding ingredients before finally being able to enjoy the end result. It’s time consuming, but oh so worth it!

February 27, 2013 at 10:02 am
  34. Beth

I’m a new cook, so the most complicated recipe has been my mother’s chicken spaghetti – her recipe is not written down and she is notorious for adding whatever, she has. I made it for some friends for dinner one night and it was very spicy. I told my mother what I put in it and she said “I Don’t put that in mine!”

February 27, 2013 at 11:12 am
  35. Erin Bressler

Mole sauce … wow. So incredibly complicated but after a few attempts, I finally got it!

February 27, 2013 at 9:46 pm
  36. Kim

The most difficult recipe for me is divinity. I was fixing baskets of goodies for my family one year and wanted to include divinity. I finally made some that was okay but never did get it completely like I wanted it.

February 28, 2013 at 7:40 am
  37. Brad Burgess

I made Julia Child’s cassoulet from as a personal challenge. The confit alone took almost a day, and then you can assemble the cassoulet the next day. It took 23 ingredients and I used no pre-prepared ingredients, nor did I use any short cuts. Every measurement had to be exact according to Julia’s instructions, so I followed the recipe to the letter. It was far and away the most complex dish I have ever cooked, but it turned out magnificently.

February 28, 2013 at 10:08 am
  38. Kathy Esneault

Friend share cake

February 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm
  39. Claire

The most difficult recipe I ever made was my grandmother-in-law’s gumbo. She is famous for this gumbo – it’s perfection. She always puts okra in it and manages to make the okra just right – not slimy. As she has gotten older it has been harder for her to make so I eagerly offered to take over and learn her secrets. It was a day long process and I sort of came close to hers – not quite. I’m still practicing. Maybe one day!

February 28, 2013 at 1:34 pm
  40. Tam

I made a three layer bourbon soaked cake which took forever to put together. I had to try the cake itself several tmies because the first layer I soaked too long and it fell apart when I tried to ice it before putting on the next layer. I have never tried it again.

February 28, 2013 at 6:00 pm
  41. mark winslade

i make 5 gallon batches of Kimchi that take about a week to prepare. i grow my own chiles and use a mix of both dried and fresh i also do a mix of Napa Cabbage, Baby Bok Choy Diacon and Leeks

February 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm
  42. mendy

I chose to make a Lane Cake as my first cake from scratch — it turned out wonderful, but not an easy cake for a first time!

February 28, 2013 at 9:25 pm
  43. Kristin

chicken and dumplings with homemade biscuits

February 28, 2013 at 11:05 pm
  44. Inga L

It takes a village to feed a school – or in this case, a mom on an all-nighter! Our Latvian boy scout and girl guide troop leaders host a pancake lunch to benefit our Latvian school once a year, celebrating Lord and Lady Baden-Powells’ birthday (same day, true!) and World Guide Thinking day. We serve about 400 Latvian-style thin pancakes, plain or wrapped around a savory meat filling or a sweeter farmers’ cheese filling; also with home made mushroom gravy or applesauce. We offer Latvian pastries, grey peas with bacon, and other delicacies! No one leaves hungry! Not that there was NO help – we had some pancakes coming, and 15# of mushrooms into gravy…. but I wrangled some 200 pancakes (10# flour, 1-1/2 gallons milk, 5 dozen eggs..), braised 15# pot roast with 10# vegetables, chopped some 20 onions, blanched raisins, zested lemons, soaked peas, diced bacon…
    I love to do this, it’s a huge amount of satisfaction to make so many people happy! Been doing this for some 20 years….

February 28, 2013 at 11:39 pm