We’re Giving Away a Le Creuset French Oven

February 19, 2013 | By and | Comments (394)

le creuset french oven m Were Giving Away a Le Creuset French OvenNeed a good a reason to make a delicious Beef bourguignon this winter? Look no further a new Le Creuset French Oven like this $265 one in Cherry Red.

Better known in the South as a Dutch Oven, this enamel-covered, cast-iron piece can go straight from the stovetop, to the oven, and into the dishwasher. It’s even okay to put on the grill!

In order to win Le Creuset’s French Oven tell us what’s the most complicated recipe you’ve ever made and what was the occasion? The most compelling answer wins!

The contest begins February 1st and ends February 28th. Click here for official rules.

calphalon accucore 10 piece cookware set s Were Giving Away a Le Creuset French OvenFind out what we’re giving away tomorrow, and enter to win all the other prizes being given away this month!

COMMENTS

1. Valerie C.

I wanted to impress my boyfriend at the time, so I made New Year’s Eve dinner for 8. I was not an experienced cook at only 24 years old. I made Beef Wellington, stuffed shrimp, lots of veggies, and a quiche. It was a great success! But, the relationship….not so much :)

February 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm
  2. Patricia

The most complicated was a venison stew from my Legends of Liberty cookbook for my hunter husband. You can try to follow the directions all day long, but it is a matter of feeling for cooking the venison not too fast so it is tasty and tender when done. This would be a great cook pot to do that in.

February 19, 2013 at 10:13 pm
  3. Darlene

Love, love, love cast iron cooking! Wonderful juicy meats.

February 19, 2013 at 10:15 pm
  4. Beth Holloway

After several trips to the Trellis Restaurant in Williamsburg, VA years ago, I decided I wanted to make their signature dessert, “Death By Chocolate” cake myself. I purchases a cookbook, a fortune in ingredients, and spent 2 1/2 days making each of the 7 or 8 (If I remember correctly!) different types of chocolate layers. When all of the differeny layers were finally completed and I assembled the cake, I was not nearly a pretty as the ones at the restaurant, but It was delicious! Each chocolate layer had a different texture and taste! I made it for my husband and sons – there were just as important to me as any company that we could have had!

February 19, 2013 at 10:21 pm
  5. Judianne Leggin

The most complicated was following Julia Child’s recipe for French Onion Soup. I made it for my husband’s birthday. It took times longer than the main course, but was well worth it.

February 19, 2013 at 10:23 pm
  6. Bonnie Hunt Ford

I would love to have this Le Creuset French oven but there is no way I could spend the amount this oven cost. I use an old pressure cooker that I can no longer use as a pressure cooker but the results is just not the same, the bottom is too thin and the cooker is tall and not large enough for our family. I love to cook and it would be nice to cook for the entire family even though my kitchen is small I usually make it work but one one person can be in the kitchen at once and this french oven would help me to start a dish and let the oven do the rest while we do other thing. I just don’t have the equipment to do a good job but I keep trying and still my husband NEVER complains about my cooking, he’s such a sweet man. I might make a better gumbo if I had one of these, I’m a disgrace to all Cajuns because I make an awful roux and there is no hope of a good gumbo if you can’t make a good roux.

February 19, 2013 at 10:33 pm
  7. Susan Christy

Lobster Newburg with homemade puff pastry – my first fancy meal cooked in a tiny galley kitchen as a newlywed. My dad was coming to visit! And it was delicious!!!

February 19, 2013 at 10:34 pm
  8. Teresa Organ

I don’t like to cook so every recipe is complicated to me.

February 19, 2013 at 10:37 pm
  9. Dawn Saviano-Kahn

This Le Creuset French Oven would make my mother-in-laws pot roast recipe a prize winner with my family. ANd the red would look great in my tomato themed kitchen.

February 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm
  10. Shar

The most complicated recipe I’ve made to date is Chicken Boursin En Croute! Yes…it’s as complicated as it sounds. It was for my First Wedding Anniversary and I wanted to make something spectacular! It starts with bnls chix breast pounded to 1/4″ thickness, topped with boursin cheese with pepper. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and then top with shrimp(which you have cooked, peeled, deveined and cut in half) four halves and the rolled up, tucking the sides in. Close with toothpicks if necessary…Then place in a skillet (seam side down)with chicken broth, cover and cook for 5-7 min on med. Remove from skillet, drain reserving broth. Now for the phyllo dough…Okay you know the drill…unwrap, brush with butter, repeat…okay, now wrap the chicken breast and place in a preheated 375* oven for 15-20 min or until dough is golden…now onto the honey-mustard wine sauce…you remember the chicken broth we poached the chicken in? Well nows the time to revisit it. Bring it to a boil and add some shallots and cook til tender. Add some Marsala wine and reduce til slightly thickened…add a bit of honey and some course grain mustard. Cook for a few minutes and finish with some butter for a lovely glossy finish! Sprinkle with a touch of fresh thyme leaves and voila! Chicken Boursin En Croute with a Honey Mustard wind Sauce on the side…I won’t even go into the side dishes I served! Suffice it to say it was a luscious meal and a very memorable First Anniversary!

February 19, 2013 at 10:56 pm
  11. Kristine P

The most complicated recipe was for a pumpkin mousse pie for a dinner party. The attendees included a vegan and someone allergic to gluten. The complication came in trying to ensure all can eat the dish. It actually turned out really good and I got requests to make again.

February 19, 2013 at 11:08 pm
  12. Amie B

I made a Black Forest Cake from a recipe by a German woman. It was for my husband’s birthday. He was in the military and I remember the ingredients cost $25. which was like $250. A friend came over to help me and we borrowed cooking utensils and pans from neighbors. It took us most of the day to make it and when it was finally done and we sliced it – we all hated it!!! It was the kirsch we had to soak the cake in, I think it was too much.

I would so love this oven, the color is perfect.

February 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm
  13. Susan Gruener

The recipe was the most difficult for me at the time…it was a rich, dark chocolate Flourless Cake. It used parchment paper, (new for me), grated chocolate,( new for me), and then had to be set in a pan of water while in the oven (new to me), and I almost ‘drowned’ the cake before I could take out some of the water! But it was by far the most wonderful melt-in-your-mouth chocolate cake I ever made – like a huge truffle!

February 19, 2013 at 11:44 pm
  14. KaiaM

I love to cook and experiment with new recipes. Recently the most complicated thing I made involved rabbits in the crockpot.. the worst part was trying to cut the whole bunny into sections. But, when I was done it was pretty good. I will have to experiment a little yet to get the flavors right.

February 19, 2013 at 11:47 pm
  15. Patti M.

The most complicated recipe that I have made recently is Scott Connant’s Salted Caramel Budino with Chocolate Pretzel Toffee for a 90th birthday party. First the budino (Italian pudding), then salted caramel sauce, followed by a dollop of whipped cream flavored with a little caramel — topped with handmade chocolate (Scharfenberger) pretzel toffee. Amazing … & so much fun! Timing and preparation required!

February 20, 2013 at 12:16 am
  16. Texsheva

As a young bride, many, many years ago, I remember calling my mother…long distance, to ask her how to cook fresh green beans! That was complicated back then and it was for my new husband. I’ve since learned how to cook many things and have gotten a better husband! How I’d love to have this Le Crueset French Oven!

February 20, 2013 at 12:49 am
  17. susan

SKY HIGH PIE…
    That thing was SOOO complicated & expensive to
    to make. It took a sloo of ingredients; which ended
    up cost nearly $30. This dessert took around 3 hours
    from start to finish. But my POT-BELLY STUD loved
    it….he desided I was the best cook!

February 20, 2013 at 4:39 am
  18. June Snyder

I made Chicken cou au vin once. It was more complicated than I usually get but it was good. We had guests for supper; I’m not sure they appreciated the french cooking but it was a good challenge for me and I thought it turned out well.

February 20, 2013 at 4:42 am
  19. Debbi R

At the time I made it, I thought Chicken Kiev was the most complicated recipe I would ever attempt. With the help of the Food Network everything seems possible now that I can see recipes being made and understand cooking terms better than when just reading recipes.

February 20, 2013 at 4:47 am
  20. Gail

I believe it was called catfish Lafitte. It was when I was first married. It had so many ingredients. I seemed like it was the longest prep time recipe I had ever done. It was quite good in the end, but it overwhelmed me at the time. Maybe it is time to give it another go!

February 20, 2013 at 5:07 am
  21. Mary

For Valentine’s Day about 10 years ago I made a heart-shaped New York City Cheese Cake using an old family recipe. The usual challenges of maintaining the steam and indirect heat for that lovely silky center,the long cooling time, and making the homemade fruit were topped by getting the heart shape just right without ruining the cake and all those pricey ingredients. It was worth it for my love – who is a marvelous chef and deserves a Le Creuset for his creations.

February 20, 2013 at 5:16 am
  22. Maria

I have yet to perfect my late mother’s sardine recipe. The ones I have tried always stuck to the pan.

February 20, 2013 at 5:19 am
  23. Stephanie

I made my grandfather’s famous homemade meatballs & spaghetti. The occasion was to make my mom happy. My mom grew up eating her father’s meatballs and has missed them dearly. When I was a little kid, I some kind of way, had the where with all to copy his recipe from her recipe box. The recipe itself is super detailed and quite expensive to make. It calls for three types of meats just for the meatballs themselves. The meatballs cook separately and the sauce is made ingredients from scratch. I don’t think it came out as good as my grandfather’s used to, but it was a start. I haven’t made it in quite some time and I think it is time to dig out that recipe and give it another go.

February 20, 2013 at 6:10 am
  24. Gayla Smith

I made Julia Childs Onion Soup. THis recipe took me a long time to make but it was wonderful.

February 20, 2013 at 7:10 am
  25. Sarah B

When my husband and I first started dating, I made him a chocolate layer cake for valentines day trying to win his heart through his stomach :) It had layers of chocolate cake, homemade ganache, homemade cashew toffee brittle, and was topped with toffee hearts. It took just over 7 hours and was the richest thing I ever put in my mouth! Not sure if it helped win his heart, but I won in the end!

February 20, 2013 at 7:11 am
  26. Tricia T.

The most complicated for me would be making Chuck Wagon Beans and the beans were still hard even after soaking them overnight. I never knew something that was so supposed to be so simple could be so complicated.

February 20, 2013 at 7:14 am
  27. sandra davis

it was easter and I was trying to make Paula deens Coconut cake. It was 3 layers. First I put too much filling in which the cakes were sliding off each other. Then when I put the lid on top of the cake to protect it, it was too tall for the container and it took the whole top layer of icing off the cake. Tasted great but looked horrible.

February 20, 2013 at 7:21 am
  28. mike sims

mike sims
    biscuits –as a 17 year old for my grandmothers 70 th birthday!! It took 10 times to get a fluffy biscuit that i would offer her!!
    biscuits are still complicated to me!!!

February 20, 2013 at 7:34 am
  29. Laura Faison

My mom makes an amazing sweet potato stuffed orange recipe, and my first Christmas as a new wife I thought I would try to make them for my in-laws. If anyone has ever tried to completely clean out an orange – removing all of the pulp down to the skin – it’s a VERY tedious and frustrating task. Finally, after close to two hours of cleaning out 6 oranges, I was ready to go – but exhausted.

February 20, 2013 at 7:43 am
  30. rachel

One summer while I was in college, I decided to attempt Martha Stewart’s Chocolate Babka Bread. The recipe called for making numerous loaves, so I figured why not — I’d be doing the work anyway. For some reason, I couldn’t use our mixer to knead the bread so I ended up doing four loaves by hand — all of which needed 10 minutes of kneading. The recipe also called for a few hours of rising and setting. It certainly wasn’t a quick recipe but was delicious.

February 20, 2013 at 7:51 am
  31. Amy L

Many years ago, I made a chocolate hazelnut torte for a dinner party that took me almost an entire day to complete. First I had to bake 3 layers of chocolate cake that required separating eggs and whipping the whites & folding them in, then slicing the baked cakes in half to create 6 layers (I was SO afraid I’d ruin the cake doing this step). Next I made a hazelnut filling and spread it between the layers. Then, finally the chocolate ganache to be poured over the entire torte, and I decorated the top with chopped hazelnuts and chocolate shavings. It was the most beautiful dessert I’ve ever made, and it got rave reviews at the party.

February 20, 2013 at 8:04 am
  32. annie

I was newly married and decided to host the Thanksgiving dinner for the family….13 people and did it all from turkey to desserts. It was a big success but I was exhausted!!!! I learned so much from cooking that meal, mainly let people help with the dinner. :)

February 20, 2013 at 8:07 am
  33. idbadgereels

Invited my parents over for dinner in my young marriage. Wanted very much to impress my mother who was and still is an awesome cook. I made lasagna, salad and bread. I was carrying the lasagna from the oven to the stovetop and dropped the lasagna on the tile and it shattered just as they arrived. To the store I went and I made another pan of lasagna and it was delicious. I think I impressed my mother with my cooking but also my persistence. If I win this I’m going to gift it to my mother.

February 20, 2013 at 8:09 am
  34. Melanie Thompson

I can’t say I ever made a complicated recipe. I use recipes as guidelines, I tweak them to make them my own. I however have moved and now have a gas range and oven, so a cast iron pot from Le Crueset would be wonderful

February 20, 2013 at 8:19 am
  35. MinnesotaFromScratch

German Rouladen with red pickled cabbage, and spaetzl. I made it for my mother in law’s birthday (she’s German). It turned out great!

February 20, 2013 at 8:28 am
  36. Betsy

Sometimes it’s not the recipe itself that is complicated, but the occasion. Recently, I was given the unsettling news that my grandmother was dying. The entire family rushed to her bedside, to spend the last few moments with her before she passed away. My grandmother was a cafeteria cook at the Catholic School my father attended for over 20 years. Her recipes are infamous around the town my father grew up in.

The night before she passed, my father and I gathered in the kitchen at my grandparents house and decided to cook dinner for my family. We were making a simple recipe, beef strogonoff. While we were cooking, my father said to me ‘Are you feeling the good cooking vibes from all the cooks that have cooked in this kitchen?’ At the time I laughed it off, but thinking about it now, I totally felt the cooking vibes. I remembered my baking cookies and my grandma putting me up on a stool to teach me how to make biscuits.

Though I was not making a complicated recipe, the occasion for which I was cooking was complicated. It reminded me of all the times I observed my grandma in that kitchen, cooking for a crowd. It made me thankful for the 28 years of my life that I got to spend with her. It also made me thankful that I was able to learn so many of her signature recipes and that I would be able to keep them in the family and someday pass them down.

February 20, 2013 at 8:33 am
  37. Cheryl McMahan

Le Creuset is wonderful cookware!! I only have two pieces bought when we first put in a gas range. Recipes that I had been making for years all of sudden started sticking to my old cookware. Creamed corn was the worst!! Out of desperation, we bought one
    Le Creuset pot to start with. In Cherry Red. Wonderful results, probably saved my marriage!! LOL Ended up buying a second larger one to accomodate my “Big” recipes, also Cherry Red. I would love to add this piece to my collection!!

February 20, 2013 at 9:07 am
  38. MrsD

Isn’t it funny how many of these start out with, “it was a long time ago and I was trying to impress …” LOL Either I don’t cook complicated meals any more or the just don’t seem complicated. I don’t know which! As a new cook, my signature dish was lasagna with homemade sauce. Somehow, that just doesn’t seem complicated any more!

February 20, 2013 at 9:16 am
  39. Janell Huntsman

As a newlywed I think everything I made was complicated! But I remember making sweet and sour chicken for my in-laws and it took far longer than I had anticipated. So a late dinner it was!

February 20, 2013 at 9:21 am
  40. kara

I committed to cooking a Feast of Seven Fishes for my family/extended family on Christmas Eve a couple years ago. I did it all myself, and it took me days of prep/cooking. Was it worth it? I can only say that last year I decided upon a Feast of Three Fishes, and my holidays were much more enjoyable!

February 20, 2013 at 9:26 am
  41. Megan

The most complicated recipe I ever made was not hard in itself, but the circumstances made it so! This was back when I was 20 – I had the desire to be a good cook, but absolutely no skills at the time to make it happen! I decided to make Chicken Tetrazzini, which isn’t hard now, but it had so many steps to it it took me forever! AND I was cooking it in the dorm kitchen at college, which had a little half sized stovetop/range that didn’t work well and crappy aluminum, thin bottomed pans. Dinner was 2 hours late, but the people I made it for thought it was good.

February 20, 2013 at 9:32 am
  42. JANICE BISHOP

I made chicken kiev once. It turned out great , but had a lot of steps to it. It was the last time I made this, I quess I should try again since I’m retired and have a lot more time.

February 20, 2013 at 9:42 am
  43. arthur ling

Without question, the most difficult dish I have ever attempted was a Turduckenail, which is a boned out quail, wrapped by a boned out chicken, wrapped by a boned out duck, and wrapped up in a boned out turkey. Done on a dare by a friend who did a Turducken.
    The boning out was the killer.
    Love the dish.

February 20, 2013 at 9:52 am
  44. Lori O

I decided to make my friend’s seven layer red velvet cake (Paula Deen recipe). I was just learning to bake and so had never tackled multiple layers on a cake before. It turned out beautifully with the cream cheese frosting and fresh pecans on top. I would just love this Le Creuset French Oven. My brother in law has one and swears foods taste better when cooked in it!

February 20, 2013 at 9:54 am
  45. Abbey

Sunday Roast– I wanted to make mine exactly like my grandmother and my mother. It took about a week to fully prepare the ingredients (and become mentally prepped). At that time, I did not cook often, so I was extremely nervous. At the same time, I was craving the deliciousness of home. I was away in college, and unable to go home for Easter due to exams. I wanted to still “taste” the sounds, smells, and roast from home. I made rice and gravy, a roast, and potatoes. I was amazing, and it brought such comfort!

February 20, 2013 at 10:00 am
  46. Della Gardner

A few years ago I made the Seared Roast, mashed potatoes with fresh corn kernels (from the Southern Living magazine) that I cannot find now, that meal was so good….. It seemed to take all day and of course minutes to eat. I used my small Le Creuset Dutch oven, I NEED a larger one and my favorite color is RED……Luv ya……

February 20, 2013 at 10:11 am
  47. Christina Vincent

Hosting my first family dinner party as a young bride, I wanted to impress my restauranteur Uncle. It was an intimate party of 24 people with a four course menu. I can’t imagine what I was thinking in choosing to make an authentic Russian dessert. (My family is Italian)
    The recipe was four pages long, and served 12-16 so I decided to double the ingredients.
    A Paskha is a cheese pyramid with candied fruit and nuts, molded in a 2 quart clay flower pot and requires 4 hours to prepare and 8 hours to set.. Doubled, in a 4 quart pot, the recipe would take 24 hours which turned out to be 36 and the dessert was just about ready three days after I had begun!
    Now, many years later, I have learned that “complicated” does not = “better” and have since opted for better time management when seeking to impress.

February 20, 2013 at 10:14 am
  48. Natalie Walton

My dad’s favorite cake would be his mother’s yellow cake with Chocolate Peanut Butter icing. After my own mom trying to make it for him every year for his birthday and never quite getting the icing to set up perfectly I decided to try it myself. After cooking the icing time after time after time- with is sometimes setting up and sometimes running straight off the cake- i have finally learned just by sight when to take the icing off the heat! With practice, patience, and a keen eye I have mastered the cake and now I can supply my dad with a perfect birthday cake every year, just like his mom. I just got engaged right before Christmas so my brother who has just gotten married decided to give me and my new fiance the cherry red tea kettle. He said he wanted to get us started in a solid color. This would match perfectly.

February 20, 2013 at 10:15 am
  49. knitnonpareil

I grew up watching my Mom cook and bake trusted family favorite recipes. Nothing fancy, no written out recipes,but hearty and filling fare. Anything that was written out and untried (by us) seemed exotic and complicated, so tearing out a goulash recipe from a Seventeen magazine was pretty daring. It had an ingredient list a mile long (or so I thought at the time) and the steps to make it were numbered. What novelty!! I felt so bold and innovative. I loved going through all the steps, and the finished product was a big hit, right down to the sour cream you added to each bowl to top it off – unheard of in my home! It is now a tried and true family favorite, and I still love trying new recipes.

February 20, 2013 at 10:26 am
  50. Carole Anne

Don’t know if it was the most complicated recipe, but it was memorable. It was a Martha Stewart cake with buttercream frosting. I made it for a friend’s 50th birthday and it took most of the day to make the various layers–cake, meringue, cream filling and buttercream frosting. I will always remember the frosting because the recipe called for a full pound of butter. I figured that certainly I could reduce that amount, but as I started beating the mixture, it just would not set up until just before the last two tablespoons of butter were added. I decorated the cake with fresh flowers and it was gorgeous. However, it was a hot day in June and by the time we could eat the cake, the flowers were wilted, some of the colors had seeped into the frosting, and the frosting started to melt as well. However, as so many of the wonderful recipes noted above, it was one of the best cakes I have ever made. But I never made it again, even though I still have the recipe and look at it longingly each time I need to make a cake for a special occasion.

February 20, 2013 at 10:59 am