We’re Giving Away an 8” Chef’s Knife & Ceramic Oil and Vinegar Cruets

February 23, 2013 | By and | Comments (182)

chefs knife mudshark oils m Were Giving Away an 8” Chef’s Knife & Ceramic Oil and Vinegar CruetsThe experts at New York’s esteemed Culinary Institute of America are lending their cooking expertise to product design with a collection of cookware.

Their chef team designed the aptly-named 8” Chef’s Knife ($99) with function in mind including details such as a full tang (the piece of steel running from the tip of the blade through the handle) and a handle that’s been contoured for total control. Sharp knives always mean lots of freshly chopped veggies that call for oil and vinegar. The Oregon-based Mudshark Studios designed a charming trio of oil and vinegar cruets ($34/each) that are labeled so you can keep your EVOO separate from the OO!

To win this chef’s knife and trio of cruets, give us your best chopping tip. The answer that reveals the best technique takes home the knife and oil cruets.

The contest begins February 1st and ends February 28th. Click here for official rules.

calphalon accucore 10 piece cookware set s Were Giving Away an 8” Chef’s Knife & Ceramic Oil and Vinegar CruetsFind out what we’re giving away tomorrow, and enter to win all the other prizes being given away this month!

COMMENTS

1. Inga L

Using the right knife for the job and making sure that it’s as sharp as can be – that’s the ticket! I like paying attention to the grain of whatever I’m chopping, in order to get the most out of the least amount of cuts!

February 28, 2013 at 11:42 pm
  2. Kristin

I don’t have a tip because I have cheap dull knives that my husband harps on me all the time about how he is scared I am going to cut a finger off one day.

February 28, 2013 at 10:58 pm
  3. mendy

Use scissors (:

February 28, 2013 at 9:19 pm
  4. William Possibilist Weston

Not only keep your knives sharpened, but also keep then honed. Honing keeps a knife blade straight and makes the knives appear to be sharper. So always sharpen and hone your knives and your fingers will thank you if you keep them away from the blade while chopping.

February 28, 2013 at 8:11 pm
  5. mark winslade

take the time to learn how to sharpen your knives ……and always use a ‘soft’ cutting board such as wood or poly plastic never use a glass cutting board

February 28, 2013 at 6:43 pm
  6. stephanie mellott

the best way to chop is to firmly hold the top of the knife blade at both ends and chop with rapid up and down movements. Brush the ingredients into a pile repeatedly for best results.

February 28, 2013 at 11:09 am
  7. twoofus55

Use a sharpe knif, or you will be hackingup instead of chopping. Nothing worse than a dull knife.

February 28, 2013 at 7:12 am
  8. Erin Bressler

I call it the “claw” hand. I learned this from many hours of watching the experts on the cooking shows. If you watch closely, they always form a claw with the hand that holds the vegetables. You place the “claw” on the top of the food you intend to cut.

This way, you are less likely to cut your fingers and can feel comfortable chopping quickly. Also, always use a sharp knife!

February 27, 2013 at 9:38 pm
  9. Kooter

It’s like typing…riding a bike…quilting. Focus on technique! Forget speed until your technique is GOOD. Always safety first (keep your blade sharp), then as-uniform-as-possible cut size so foods will cook the same, and being comfortable with your hold on the knife. By the time your technique is good, you will find your speed has increased. Focus on proper technique, and speed will come naturally…a little more all the time. Safe choppin’!

February 27, 2013 at 8:07 pm
  10. Candice Hull

Always take care of your knives. Clean them and dry them immediately after use and always sharpen them before using them. If you have great knives chopping is a breeze. Also, hold the knife with your thumb and forefinger pinching the very end of the blade near the handle and then fully wrap your palm around the handle, makes it easier to handle.

February 26, 2013 at 11:23 pm
  11. Lynne P

Shop, experiment,and make sure you are buying a quality knife with a good “review”. Check with friends, family, etc. if you are unsure. Another good thing is to take a cooking skills class that teaches how to use different knives and when, what to look for (including heft) when buying knives, as well as giving some personal insight on brands, etc. Buy the best knives you can afford, even if it means buying one good Chef’s knife and waiting to purchase others as you can afford them.

February 26, 2013 at 7:41 pm
  12. Lita Davis

My tip is for onions in two areas:

1. Put the onion in the freezer 15 minutes before you chop it. Doing this REALLY cuts down on the fumes that generate all of those tears!
    2. I usually cut the side opposite the roots so that I have a flat surface to place the onion, Then I cut it down the middle and either slice it of chop it, depending on what I need. Keeping the roots intact holds the onion together best so you don’t have to try and put the pieces back together – which can be a pain in terms of time and to your fingers if your knife slips…

February 26, 2013 at 6:57 pm
  13. Julie Larson

When my brother and I went away to college, my mom took us shopping for our own kitchen knives. She had us close our eyes and “shake” hands with all the handles to find the perfect fit! I’m sure we looked ridiculous, but mama is always right! Just like comfortable shoes can make walking easy, a good “fitting” knife can also make all the difference when chopping!

February 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm
  14. Kelly Kakert

A nice sharp nice, a good cutting surface, and keep the fingers out of the way. Most chopping in our house uses a butcher/chefs knife. The size and weight of the knife make the task a breeze.

February 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm
  15. Debbie Marshall

You should always have a sharp knife to do any type of cutting! I need new ones right now!

February 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm
  16. Carole Anne

I like to freeze fresh parsley and then use nice sharp scissors to cut what I need directly into the pan.

February 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm
  17. jenniley

A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. Sharpen knives often, treat with respect, handle with care.

February 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm
  18. Aleia

Have a sharp knife and practice, practice, practice!

February 26, 2013 at 2:42 pm
  19. Kimberly Shelton

Purchase and USE the special herb “chopper” and a food processor. No worries about seeing blood!

February 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm
  20. Julie

Hand wash your knives and sharpen often. Only use serrated knives for streak and bread. Never use a flexible knife for anything other than filet-ing a fish!

February 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm
  21. Cathy Hardin

My best tip for chopping things is to use the correct tool for the job at hand.

February 26, 2013 at 9:43 am
  22. Eleanor Holcombe

I don’t think this is overly clever, but my favorite chopping tip is to cut up MORE of whatever you are chopping than you need and it is ready for another recipe quickly. I especially chop up more onions, celery, and peppers that go in so very many recipes! If you aren’t going to use them soon you can put them in a container and freeze them for a using later when busy.

February 26, 2013 at 9:18 am
  23. Anna Robertson

I learned how to cut a mango from Martha Stewart. Slice a long portion away from the seed. Run a sharp knife lengthwise in parallel lines and then cross ways creating little squares. Cut deep enough to go throug the fruit but not the skin. Then press the skin inwards so that it forms a concave shape and the cut squares of mango stick out ready to be pinched or cut for little snack bites.

February 25, 2013 at 6:21 pm
  24. Jennifer

Best chopping tip for chopping onions – Hold 2-3 unlit matches in your mouth with the sulfer ends exposed, that way your eyes won’t tear while chopping.

February 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm
  25. CarmenC.

My favorite tips for chopping: I use rubberbands around the corners of my cutting board so it will not slip around the countertop; and after cutiing meats I clean my cutting board with hydrogen peroxide to kill all the germs. Another good tip is to use butter on your knife blades when cutting sticky foods. The foods won’t stick to the blades!

February 25, 2013 at 3:39 pm
  26. Kim

Not the best at chopping, but I use a large knife and hold it at both ends and rock back and forth to chop. Not nearly as fast as the chefs on tv.

February 25, 2013 at 1:51 pm
  27. Joy Hutcheson Boutwell

I always try to have on hand fresh herbs to chiffnade. It just makes a so so dish a WOW dish!!!

February 25, 2013 at 9:42 am
  28. Barbara Whitehead

My best chopping tip is ‘chop at your own speed’. Hold the food firmly but carefully – chopping can look like a breeze on a tv cooking show but needs to be done with caution. And remember the basics – sharp knife, secure cutting board and firm grip. It’s important to use the correct knife; sometimes a wood cutting board works best and sometimes I like silicone that can be curled up to carry food to a pot or skillet. It’s also nice to put stems/peels in a bowl to compost. This chef’s knife is really nice; and the cruets will look very attractive while being functional items in the kitchen!

February 25, 2013 at 9:33 am
  29. Julie U

My best chopping tip would haev to be for garlic because I put it in everything!!!!!!!! I use the flat side of the knife to loosen up the juies and the skin and it makes chopping it so much easier, and the flavor so robust.

February 25, 2013 at 9:08 am
  30. Jennifer Gibson

Most people have their own ways of chopping things, my tip is not so much about chopping but about clean up while chopping. It really helps to have a large bowl set to the side while chopping to put all of your onion/garlic peels or stem ends/peelings in. Then clean up is a cinch, you just walk the bowl to the trash and throw away the contents. Lots better than just throwing all that on the counter and having to swipe it all away into something anyway and then having to clean the counter up afterwards.

February 25, 2013 at 8:55 am
  31. LaLa

By making a “flat” side, on most foods I am chopping, makes the start of the chop easier. If I make a long slice, and chop from the slice, makes the prep go smoother. Have a sharp knife and really good cutting board that is securely in place. (I put a piece of non slip shelf liner under my board.) Also remember to curl your fingers under while holding the vegetable, etc. being chopped so as not to cut the tips of your fingers!

February 25, 2013 at 8:04 am
  32. Tammy

Use whatever knife is appropriate for the job at hand – never use a pairing knife to chop something, always use a good, sharp, balanced chef’s knife.

February 25, 2013 at 7:38 am