Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Southern Swine Table & Bar. Since the Yardbird Southern Table & Bar team announced they’d be opening a second hub in Miami last year, we’ve been on the edge of our barstools waiting for the official opening. Well, it’s finally here. On Saturday, March 9, Miami gets more Southern with the opening of Swine Southern Table & Bar in Coral Gables. While Yardbird’s rise to fame centered around chef Jeff McInnis’s fried chicken, Swine will be more about the pork. Oh, and all that whiskey.
2. Ashley’s Monroe’s new album. Anything the Pistol Annies do is golden, so we’re all about Ashley Monroe’s first solo album, Like a Rose, out tomorrow. One-third of the dynamite girl group, Ashley blends classic country with her knack for storytelling to create a record that feels like it’s been plucked straight from the days of Patsy Cline and Tammy Wynette. It doesn’t hurt that Blake Shelton, Little Big Town’s Karen Fairchild, and Guy Clark all lent their talents to the album.
3. Jack Rudy’s Grenadine. Jack Rudy Cocktail Co.’s tonic is quickly becoming the mixer of choice for bartenders across the South. Now the Charleston-based tonic purveyor expands its cocktail influence with the debut of a small-batch grenadine that will make many a tequila sunrise and Ward 8 all the tastier. $32 for two 17 oz. bottles.
4. Graffiato’s Takeover Night. We love a good partnership. Especially one of the food and drink variety like Graffiato’s Industry Takeover Nights happening tonight. Since January, D.C. rising star chef Mike Isabella has been opening the kitchen and bar to his comrades on the first Monday of the month. This week’s guests include respected drink guru Derek Brown of The Passenger and Columbia Room creating the drink specials, and Top Chef alum Jennifer Carroll making the free snacks. That’s right, free food. The party starts at 10 p.m. and is open to the public.
5. NBC Fashion Star. The design show’s second season caught our attention when we heard Texan Jessica Simpson would be on the panel again, but we’re even more excited for the show after seeing the lineup of participating designers. Three of our favorite Southern gals–Amber Perley of Pearl Southern Couture, Hunter Bell of Hunter Dixon, and Priscilla Barroso of Crowned Bird–are all up for the winning title. Good luck ladies. Bring it home.