Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Cutting-edge kitchen in Atlanta. Kevin Gillespie’s new restaurant Gunshow opens in Glenwood Park on Wednesday and diners can know just what the chef is sauteing or searing thanks to the open kitchen. Inspired in part by Chinese dim sum, the Top Chef finalist will send food around on rolling carts and trays for diners to select and enjoy. Expect to see seasonal offerings of all sizes such as Texas Hill Country-style smoked beef sausage and buttermilk dumplings.
2. Music from a former Dixie Chick. A decade after reigning the music charts as a part of the Dixie Chicks, lead singer Natalie Maines is back with her first solo venture, Mother, out Tuesday. Listening to her album is like reconnecting with an old friend: There’s the familiar voice (here with a little less twang but all of the power) belting out songs you know like Jeff Buckley’s “Lover, You Should’ve Come Over.” She may have put country on the back burner, but the maturity and range of the album suits her just fine.
3. Miami fundraiser for SoFaB. Swine Southern Table & Bar sponsors an evening on Wednesday benefitting the Southern Food and Beverage Museum in New Orleans while displaying its own culinary talent. Call it a Miami potluck since Yardbird, The Federal, Blue Collar, Tuyo, and Florida Cookery will also bring their best dishes for sampling. Set to open in a new Crescent City spot later this year, the museum is curating items for its Florida exhibit so guests are encouraged to bring any artifacts that relate to food or drink from the Sunshine State’s past. For tickets, email email@example.com.
4. North Carolina’s newest brewery. We’re thrilled that the Southern craft beer renaissance shows no signs of slowing. The newest beer on the block comes from Steel String Brewery in Carrboro, North Carolina, brewed by three friends who have been pals since their middle school days in neighboring Chapel Hill. Stop by for the official grand opening party Friday and Saturday where the ticket price includes free food, live music, and two pints of one of their beers like Exile on Weaver Street Hefeweizen (a wheat beer made with German yeast and with notes of banana and cloves).
5. Advice book for new parents. Southern writer Clyde Edgerton has published ten novels, a memoir, and short stories, and now the father of four has penned a book chock-full of parenting advice drawn from three decades of child-rearing. In Papadaddy’s Book for New Fathers out Tuesday, he mixes sage wisdom with humor and plenty of his trademark colorful stories that even an experienced parent will enjoy.
5 1/2. Florida golf tournament. It may be called The Players championship, but this golf tournament in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, is all about the fans. Running May 9-12, the tournament features great dining options, putt putt golf, and daily parties including a concert by Dierks Bentley. And of course, watch golf greats such as Tiger Woods and Bubba Watson compete for a purse even bigger than the Masters ($9.5 million!) on a course that just got a million dollar upgrade this year.