Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Luke Bryan’s Crash My Party. Round out your August with the Georgia musician’s newest album filled with a mix of love songs and late-summer anthems. In our Paper Napkin Interview with Luke, he talked about a memorable spring break spent with his now-wife Caroline. The memory resurfaces as the inspiration behind the track “Roller Coaster.” Catch Luke on tour now through October and pick up his album out Tuesday.
2. Louisville art exhibit. Tech start-up Forest Giant hosts art exhibition “Wild Echoes” on Friday and Saturday featuring new paintings, prints, and photos by 40 artists, all contributing works with a ‘forest’ theme. Among the local artists are Lexington-based design studio Cricket Press and Kin Ship home goods co-founder Hillary Harrison.
3. Jackson, Mississippi blues. The inaugural Jackson Rhythm & Blues Festival debuts in Jackson this Friday and Saturday with intimate concerts, makeshift juke joints, and local barbecue. More than 30 artists will perform including Dr. John + The Nite Trippers (who back in February won a Grammy for Best Blues Album). Also, catch a sneak preview of the artist H.C. Porter’s exhibit Blues at Home, which preserves the South’s rich music culture through a collection of oral histories, portraits, and a documentary featuring three dozen of Mississippi’s living blues legends.
4. Farm-fresh Virginia brunch. On Sunday, Harrisonburg, Virginia restaurant Local Chop & Grill House, puts new meaning in “farm-to-table.” Four Blue Ridge-area producers are trucking in their best eggs, meat, and produce for the three-course brunch (that includes pesto-scrambled eggs and root vegetable confit) and then will stick around between courses to tell their stories.
5. Sprinkles Ice Cream comes to Texas. The national cupcake chain opens up its first scoop shop in the South on Friday in Dallas and call us crazy, but nothing sounds better than a shake made from cupcakes. They’ll also be offering confections such as cookies, red velvet waffle cones, and drool-worthy flavors like red velvet (made from their signature red velvet cupcakes and cream cheese icing).