These Little Ants Are Driving Me Nuts!!!

August 15, 2013 | By | Comments (13)
Ants

Little black ants coming in through the cracks. Make them go away! Photo: rosscatrow.

I can’t take it any more! Little black ants. They’re everywhere! On the counter, on my desk, in the pantry, they’re in my brain! Please make them go away. Please. Grumpy needs your help! Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

I can hear them now. Our thoughts are one. They say they’re coming to your house next. They say there is nothing you can do to stop them. But is there? You have only two courses of action.

Option 1 — The Nuclear Option.

Ants

It isn’t pretty. It isn’t precise. It may not work. But you’ll feel SO good. Photo: forwardstl

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Little ants usually come from outside where there’s moisture. They march in long, meandering lines, following scent trails laid down by scouts who have located your food and want to steal it. Follow the ants back to their point of entry — a window, a crack, even an electrical outlet — then pick up a can of Raid Ant & Roach spray and let loose with both barrels! Oh, you want some? You want some of this? DIE, YOU LITTLE BUGGERS! DIE!!!

Whoa. That felt good! Of course, it didn’t do anything to eradicate the colony, so maybe they’ll find another way in. Maybe they won’t. So you gotta ask yourself — do you feel lucky?

Option #2 — Slow, Lingering Death

Ants

It’s time to bring down the Apocalypse, bro! Photo: styeb

This method involves fooling the evil ants into killing themselves before they kill you. Here’s an insidious way to do it without using chemical pesticides.

First, you must determine whether the ants are grease ants or sugar ants (each category includes several different species). Grease ants do not look like Olivia Newton-John and no, they have never been mellow. They seek out fatty, oily, protein-rich foods like peanut butter. Sugar ants, on the other hand, like sweet stuff and can smell it from a mile away. Leave out a fresh watermelon rind or a ripening peach or mango and they’ll find it faster than a tornado finds a trailer park.

Twister

Yet another devastating twister ruins lives. Photo: nigeljones

Here’s an easy way to test. When you find the trail of ants, place a strip of masking tape next to it. On one end, place some syrup. On the other, place some peanut butter. What the ants go for first will tell you which kind they are.

If they’re grease ants, mix 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 tablespoons of honey or pancake syrup with 1/2 teaspoon of boric acid. (Boric acid kills all kinds of bugs, including roaches, but is safe to use inside the house. You can get it at the same place in the store where Raid is sold.) If they’re sugar ants, substitute mint jelly or maple syrup for the peanut butter. Smear the mixture on a small plate, leave it near the ants, and walk away. The fun is about to begin!

The ants will gorge themselves on the ant-equivalent of pork rinds and tell all of their worker ant buddies about it. Soon hundreds of ants will feast. Boric acid kills slowly, so the workers will have plenty of time to selflessly take the bait back to the nest and share it with everyone, including the queen. They’ll die, never knowing it was you…..unless you take my advice. Stare them right in the mandibles and scream, “HAAHHH! IT WAS ME!”

Do You Have Another Solution That Really Works?
How do you deal with hordes of invading little ants? Tell your fellow Grumpians about it. They need to know now. In the meantime, keep all kitchen surfaces clean and dry, keep your food securely sealed, immediately clean up any spills, and never let down your guard. Little ants are watching.

COMMENTS

1. Lisa

I was grossed out by the ant army from my door into my kitchen, sink, dishwasher, and cabinet and I admit I raged a nuclear war. I reached for the first thing that had the word “kill” in it, which happened to be weedkiller. Once, I killed half the army on contact, I was less freaked out and took the extra 2 seconds to find the Raid Ant killer. This worked.

But, I had PTSD, and the OCD took over, so I bought those gooey traps and set them by all the places I saw them trailing inside and outside. And then I bought some chemicals to put around the entire outside perimeter of my house. This whole process took about 3 hours and I didn’t see any ants after all this.

I thought with all the rain that I might see the ants again, but thankfully I haven’t.

P.S. I also stopped cleaning with apple cider vinegar! This seems to attract ants. Also, make sure the garbage disposal topper is and maybe flush it with some dish soap.

P.P.S. I was really grateful that everything I did worked immediately.

August 19, 2013 at 10:21 pm
  2. deesdot

20 mule team borax- same thing- lots of great cleaning uses! I store it in my laundry room and I’ve never had ants there! I use it as a dry powder on the ant trails.

August 17, 2013 at 6:43 pm
  3. Jane

Diatomaceous earth. This stuff is fantastic!!! Make sure you purchase the food safe variety; this can usually be found at farm supply stores.
    Use it on their trails or mix in bait.
    This is not a poison and is not toxic in any way. It works by cutting the ants to pieces from the inside out when eaten or by cutting the ants’ joints. Read about it!

August 17, 2013 at 12:39 pm
  4. It’s 10 days later and THERE ARE STILL ANTS ON MY DESK | Everything is stupid.

[…] These Little Ants Are Driving Me Nuts!!! (thedailysouth.southernliving.com) […]

August 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm
  5. Cheryl McMahan

Terro ant syrup!!!! Very useful in the kitchen where you don’t want to use sprays. I cut the little squares of the box and put a quarter size blob in the circle. It’s fascinating!! One ant will find it and “plug in”, within thirty minutes, you will have a thick circle of ants plugged into the syrup. Put two or three squares of this stuff if there are a ton of ants. Resist the urge to disturb them except to replenish the syrup. The ants will live long enough to carry the Terro back to the next and share with the others. After about two days, you will see less of them, the third day, fewer ants. When the whole nest is dead, you’re done!!

August 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  6. Emily

So how do you make a roach bait with boric acid? I want them to die too!

August 15, 2013 at 6:09 pm
  7. Ruth Winsor Wooden

I have no tolerance for ants. (I have been known to do the ant crawl across the floor to find their entrance.) I have teeny-tiny grease ants on my kitchen island in the middle of my kitchen. Nowhere else. Have had them all summer….a few here, a few there. They are coming from somewhere inside the island……from outside? They hate Windex but like you say it doesn’t go to the source to kill the nest. I may have to try the Boric acid and peanut butter inside my cabinet or near the electrical socket where they make their magic appearance…..

August 15, 2013 at 6:00 pm
  8. Leita Champion

Simmering cinnamon in a pot of water on the stove confuses the heck out of them. Get it going when the first little bugger is spotted. Sprinkling it around helps stop the party before they can line up and dance the Bunny Hop all around the kitchen.

August 15, 2013 at 4:11 pm
  9. Jerilyn Lee

I’ve used the Tero too, and it works well. But I’m a little hesitant since I’ve got the grandkids for the summer and you never know what they’ll put in their mouths. But I found a remedy quite by accident, similar to corn meal. I kept seeing a pile of dead ants each morning and finally found what they were getting into — Cream of Wheat!! Same principal as the corn meal – they eat one grain, it swells and bursts their intestinal tract. Safe and non-toxic if you have kids around. The ants seem particularly fond of the Maple & Brown Sugar variety!

August 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm
  10. Manfred Paula Speier

personally I would clean…

August 15, 2013 at 3:44 pm
  11. Dea Van Patten

I’ve used Terro successfully too. We had a HUGE infestation a couple of years ago, and our neighbor recommended it. Works in about two days. If you can’t stand the ants that long, use Raid Ant and Roach spray after about 8 hours. That still gives them time to get enough to the nest to kill it. And don’t forget to protect their methods of ingress. Put bait in those weep holes and around window ledges outside. They’ll stop there and won’t come on into the house.

August 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm
  12. Laurinda Norris

Corn meal. They take it back to the nest, also. Apparently it makes them explode, or something similar. It worked for me a couple of summers ago, totally non toxic and environmentally friendly.

August 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm
  13. Chris Renninger

Sugar ants are very small and run around like crazy. I use Terro.They go to it like crazy. I mean hordes of them. Don’t kill them because they are carrying it back to the nest.

August 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm