Do You Wear White After Labor Day?

August 30, 2013 | By | Comments (38)

It’s the age old question: To wear white or not to wear white after Labor Day? With just a few days to go, we asked our editors to decode the tricky discussion and weigh in on whether the fashion rule still stands.

You’ve heard what our editors have to say, not tell us what you think by┬áposting and pinning your stance!

LaborDay_No

LaborDay_Yes

COMMENTS

1. Marcelo

Hi there to all, because I am truly eager of reading this web site’s post to be updated regularly.

It consists of pleasant material.

August 5, 2014 at 8:09 am
  2. JennySueMakeup (@JennySueMakeup)

Being a southern belle myself in Georgia, I have come to embrace the white year round!! The only thing I don’t sport in white after Labor Day – I stick to the no white shoe rule. Pants, shirts, coats, even purses, all fair game. I don’t know what it is about the white shoes, but I save those to welcome in the Easter season like I did as a child and can’t let that fashion tradition go!

Hugs, Jennifer

September 11, 2013 at 1:19 pm
  3. Joanne

In Texas is hot into October so it’s perfectly okay here. Definitely NO white shoes though!! ;)

September 5, 2013 at 6:03 am
  4. Susan Hatcher

Who made this rule & why??? It doesn’t seem to fit with the American way of thinking.

September 4, 2013 at 10:40 pm
  5. msshe

No white after Labor Day except for white blouses and winter white cashmere sweaters avid wool slacks. I am a ky girl who grew up in Ohio with a ky mo and dad. I have been back in ky for 45 years so I am still southern! I taught my daughter the no white after Labor Day too. I think she taught her high school buddies too.
    Sheila Elliott

September 3, 2013 at 4:48 pm
  6. Judy

Summer doesn’t end until the autumnal equinox on September 22nd, so wearing white clothing after Labor Day is OK. I don’t wear white shoes after Labor Day, though…I guess I’m just ‘too Southern’ for that.

September 3, 2013 at 8:54 am
  7. Weezie Jane

You people are crazy and your southern-ness is leaking out like air from a popped balloon.
    Southerners love rules and have a way of doing things for the sake of doing things. Go ahead and wear your white after labor day, and just get on a train to NYC while you are at it. You probably don’t wear pearls or monograms either!

September 3, 2013 at 8:40 am
  8. Sean McNeal

I believe that temperature and intelligence, tempered, of course, by good taste should determine the decision. It seems that the more rigid on this topic are bereft of enough intelligence to inform their decisions, and so should, as our extinct dinosaurs, continue to abide by the “age-old” rule, which isn’t, in humanity’s course, so “age-old.” And, those who are left behind when it comes to analytical acumen at the hour of dressing themselves after Labor Day should perhaps, sadly, and to their loss, within the color spectrum, avoid white. Though I imagine some good ole’ white gravy would still taste good! :)

September 2, 2013 at 9:24 pm
  9. madonna pidgeon

White shoes, white purse,and linen or gauze are a definite “no no” after Labor Day. However if the temps are above 78 degrees I have no problem with accepting white as an option, especially if you are living or traveling in a more tropical climate. Just because it’s after Labor Day do you pack a bulky wool sweater to wear to Key West in October or
    November?

September 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm
  10. Martha Shepherd

Yes, I wear white wool,& white gaberdine.

September 2, 2013 at 1:57 pm
  11. Leisha Carr

It was so funny at church yesterday! Several of us had on our white pants and shoes …..before we put them away for the winter! South Alabama…..I’m still following the rules!

September 2, 2013 at 1:27 pm
  12. Christine Zymowski

I was raised in Alabama and have always adhered to white rule of no white before Memorial day and no white after Labor day. I have very nice white shorts that I may continue to wear due to the heat.

September 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm
  13. Kathy

Girls raised in the south….know better! The rule is outdated (maybe), area specific (yes), but it was the way I was raised and we laugh about it every springtime and when fall comes to the south. I say put away the white linen, but winter white is a totally different color and your shoes should never be lighter in color than your hem……at 61 I still wear my white flip flops, just because they have so much bling on them, you can’t see the white for the shine! I would only wear white in a resort area after Labor Day and never a white flat or dress shoe. Just a thought, it is for me only…the rest of you can do what feels good to you…just know that somewhere, there is someone whispering about those white shoes you are wearing!!!!

September 2, 2013 at 11:52 am
  14. Lorrie

Times, they are achangin’. I think that when it was white patent shoes and purses and white linen, and white oxfords and even “Easter” pastels that people needed a good “rule” to know when to pull them out and when to pull out the transitonal “colors”. But I look at my clothes and think, “Is this too summer”y”? (for the weather), and yet, at the beach, or in hot summery weathery, I do not mind. I used to be a stickler for this “guideline” in the 80s/early 90s but then the new century came with new styles and new fabrications, designers who use white frequently, new and many choices. Anyone else notice all the white dresses on the last episode of Suits?

September 2, 2013 at 11:44 am
  15. Janet King

When the temperature is above 100 degrees, I say dress for comfort not the calendar.

September 2, 2013 at 11:35 am
  16. suzanne kelly

Well, I didn’t hesitae to wear
    white capris in Aruba in March…..

August 31, 2013 at 8:35 pm
  17. Tamme Elster

I have a spectacular pair of white boots that I only wear in the winter.Its the winter way to wear my white Capris since they add less bulk under the above the knee boots. I always get compliments, and they pair well with leggings and a sweater. I believe dressing is an art and refuse to limit my color palette. White can be unflattering if it doesn’t fit well, that is the only reason not to wear white!

August 31, 2013 at 12:42 pm
  18. Gina

I would NEVER wear white shoes after labor day. It just wouldn’t happen.

August 31, 2013 at 12:34 pm
  19. ed

I think the rule should stand and some folk don’t ever need to wear white

August 31, 2013 at 9:45 am
  20. Becki Brown Columbus

I have a hard time wearing white after Labor Day. Just the way I was raised by my Mississippi momma and Nana….even if its 100 degrees in September. And in Louisville, KY, its no white before Derby.

August 31, 2013 at 9:29 am
  21. CJ

When it is 103 in Oklahoma, I am wearing my white capris as long as I want to. I wear fall clothes as it becomes cool enough to wear them, which varies every year.

August 30, 2013 at 11:24 pm
  22. Rita

i wear year until the first cold snap, or at least until November 17, a week before Thanksgiving holidays….then I change to darker colors……the south is hot and humid most of the year….wear it..

August 30, 2013 at 9:45 pm
  23. Barbara

Who ever made such a rule I will wear whenever I want. Least of my worries,

August 30, 2013 at 9:44 pm
  24. Mary

Living in South Texas, it’s hot thru October so wearing white is cooler. Then, Wearing white in heavier fabrics for winter is just fine. Only exception is to white shoes! Just say no! Lol

August 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm
  25. Teresa Moore

In Myrtle Beach, SC . It is ok.

August 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm
  26. Nancy Lynne

I wear white as long as it is hot enough to wear summer clothes, but as soon as it becomes “fallish,” I pack up the whites.

August 30, 2013 at 6:02 pm
  27. Natalie

I love my winter white wool coal, but will probably ditch my bright white jeans until next Easter. I think winter white in heavier fabrics is okay. No white shoes.

August 30, 2013 at 5:29 pm
  28. Sue Gibson

I grew up in Houston and am well versed on the no white before Easter, none after Labor Day, unless it’s your debut ;-) rule; that one should wear bone or off white or winter white in the off season. I’d follow that rule in Houston. However…I live in South Florida now. Carson Kressly once gave great advice: if you live in Southern California or South Florida, white is fine year round. We’re resort areas, after all ;-) What I *try* to do to achieve a happy medium, is not to wear white accessories (shoes, handbags) off season. (Except for a truly fab Michael Kors white cocktail clutch that I adore and is too chic to keep tucked away as I don’t have nearly enough occasions to wear it as it is!) I would say anything made of white eyelet or lace, definitely not after labor day. And, what better way to celebrate spring than to unpack your best frilly white frocks?

August 30, 2013 at 5:22 pm
  29. Jen

I have 3 kids, 2 black cats and a dog. I don’t wear white *ever*. If my life was less messy I think I’d probably pass on white shoes, belts and purses after Labor Day but that’s about it.

August 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm
  30. Barbara

White is ok if a winter white after labor day. Paired with a nice color jacket. NO white shoes.

August 30, 2013 at 4:52 pm
  31. Karen

White shoes, white hats, white linen? NO. Obvs white is okay if deployed in other than summer fabrics – a white wool coat? YES. A white cashmere wrap? YES.

August 30, 2013 at 4:51 pm
  32. Terri

In my best southern drawl . . . “This here southern belle will not have anyone tell her what to wear or when to wear it. If someone doesn’t approve off my attire, well then, they can just kiss my sweet southern derriere, because frankly darling, I don’t give a damn.”

August 30, 2013 at 4:40 pm
  33. Javacia Harris Bowser

I agree with Laura. This is an outdated rule. I say white is a year-round color. And it can add such a beautiful boldness to an outfit.

August 30, 2013 at 4:33 pm
  34. Rhonda Odom

We are close enough to the coast that it is perfectly acceptable to wear white after Labor Day, occasionally. White jeans anytime but put up the linen.

August 30, 2013 at 4:20 pm
  35. Patte

I am a born and bred Southern girl. My biggest pet peeve are white shoes. Maybe it’s because I had to wear them as a child in the summer months. There are exceptions I suppose but for this Carolina girl..no white shoes ever!!

August 30, 2013 at 4:18 pm
  36. Laura Suguiyama

I personally consider this an out dated ‘southern’ rule. Absolutely, I wear white year round!!!! Love white!

August 30, 2013 at 4:06 pm
  37. Krisan Bryant

Living in Louisiana it is very hot and humid, so wearing white after Labor Day is ok.

August 30, 2013 at 4:02 pm
  38. Patricia Swanson

As long as it remains 95 + degrees, I will wear white. Life is too short to suffer in this heat and humidity. Be comfortable and let “them” talk about you all “they” want…..Join me in liberating southern women from no white after Labor Day.

August 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm