From the time I was a toddler scooting around in a pair of my mom’s comically over-sized heels, and smeared lipstick trying to imitate her Sunday morning look (a futile effort, might I add), my mom has been my style inspiration.
Now that I’m all grown up with my own heel collection and the proper lipstick technique, she’s still my muse. I love to look through our family albums to create mondern-day looks inspired by her wardrobe.
Where: Lubbock, Texas
Mom’s Pearls of Wisdom: “Beauty is born in kind heart, but a little lipstick never hurt anyone either.”
Here are some favorite products I use to get Mom’s look today:
1) A Flowy Blouse-You can’t go wrong with a simple cream top like this one from H&M ($19.95). It’s a versatile must-have piece, and a steal at just under 20 bucks.
2) Full Tresses-The go-to product to achieve those irresistibly volumous locks- a look I’m convinced southerns invented, or at least perfected- Oscar Blandi’s Texture & Volume Spray. (Sephora, $25)
3) A Metallic Accessory-is a great finishing touch to almost any outfit. We love this envelope clutch from BCBG. ($88)
4) Black D’Orsay Pumps-An updated take on a classic pump, the d’orsay is cut out on the sides to reveal the arch of the foot, so subtly alluring. (Zara, $80)
5) Nude-colored Gloss-Bobbi Brown’s Tube Tint comes in a variety of flesh-tones. Try a one with a shimmer for a nighttime look, or a creamy pink for daytime. (Bloomingdales $19)
6) Slim, Cropped Pants-Select a pair with a slim leg, ankle crop, and and thick woven fabric for a tailored look. This pair from J.Crew ($248) is a wardrobe staple.
Send us vintage pics of your most fashionable family member (mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, even your great aunt), to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured. Include when and where the picture was taken, along with the best piece of style advice they ever gave you.