The Southern Minute with Sheryl Crow

September 9, 2013 | By | Comments (34)
Feels Like Home

Photo courtesy of Warner Bros. Records

Nine-time Grammy winner Sheryl Crow‘s first country album, Feels Like Home, comes out tomorrow (September 10). “Feels Like Home is an extension of songs people know me for—“If It Makes You Happy,” “Strong Enough”—and rock songs inspired by country music,” Sheryl says. “It’s just more dedicated to country instrumentation: more pedal steel, more twangy guitars, more fiddles.”

Last week, Southern Living teamed up with Warner Bros. Records to host a small Listening Party at Sheryl’s house in Nashville. At the end of the party, we sat down with Sheryl in her guitar-lined barn for a “Southern Minute” to find out her dream leading man (hint: it’s not Owen Wilson), whether or not she’s a whiskey gal, and what type of mama she is to her sons. (Check it out, below.)

To win an autographed copy of Feels Like Home, leave a comment below telling us what makes a place feel like home to you.

Click here for official rules.

COMMENTS

1. Brian Manoske

Sharing a meal with family.

September 13, 2013 at 12:08 am
  2. rick wood

my wife cooking great food in the kitchen and our dog waiting at the door of the stairs telling me to get outside and play with her.

September 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm
  3. Tracy

Any place with my sweet husband feels like home!!

September 11, 2013 at 3:50 am
  4. Cindy Gill

Home feels like home when my children come over for dinner or when my grandchildren come to visit.

September 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm
  5. Charles Green

My Dog and my Wife. Not necessarily in that order.

September 10, 2013 at 4:13 pm
  6. Michelle Irvine

Home is more a feeling than a physical place. My home is where I grew up, not so much because it is where I lived over 30 years, but because of my mother. Mom made it the house a home with smells of her awesome cooking, cleaning, and such. More than that though, she made it special because of who she was and that included being my best friend. She could make me feel better when no one else could because she knew me better than sometimes I even knew myself. She was also my biggest supporter and cheerleader, so there were many times I couldn’t wait to get home to share news with her. Home with her meant comfort, stability, the ability to truly relax, peace, sometimes chaos, warmth, cheer, and mostly love. Although since losing her I’ll never be at home again, I am blessed with many wonderful and special memories of home. There are many unfortunate people who never truly know how special a Christmas morning can be spent with your family or sitting down for a simple board game on a Friday night.

September 10, 2013 at 12:39 pm
  7. Michael Irvine

Home is where I can drink my beer wearing whatever I want, when I want, and not having to worry about as much as there is to worry about!

September 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm
  8. Jenn H

Home is where you feel most loved and most comfortable. For me having my dog curled up beside me on the couch is all the home I need.

September 10, 2013 at 9:20 am
  9. Sandra Schwab

Home is where my heart is, with my husband and my family!

September 10, 2013 at 6:59 am
  10. Penny Watson

Love, Family & Friends

September 10, 2013 at 6:43 am
  11. Kyara

Home is where my family is, where the people I care for and who care about me are. Home is the place where I can cook my family’s favorite dinner in my own messy kitchen, where I can listen to some favorite childhood songs (Hotel California!) and where I see and hear familiar faces every time I go out on the street. Home is hearing my parents’ voices and my friends laugh, it’s the flower shop down the road in the small town I grew up in, it’s the rain in October, the snow in January and the sun in July. Home is waiting in my car in front of my best friend’s house because she’s always late, it’s the place where I watched Desperate Housewives every week while eating lots of potato chips and it’s the place where I can sing along to the music being played by the neighbors when I’m working in the garden. Honestly, there is no place like home!

September 10, 2013 at 5:36 am
  12. Kylee Baumle

As others have said, home is where I grew up, where my family is. It’s being surrounded by the familiar things I see and touch every day in a place where I feel safe.

September 10, 2013 at 12:34 am
  13. James Spielberg

Home is where my history and treasured possessions are, where there is a comfortable bed to sleep and couch to watch t.v., and where my family can visit me.

September 10, 2013 at 12:21 am
  14. Scott Irvine

It is still very much true that home is where the heart is, therefore my home will always be anywhere I can be with my wife. So either she and I have to pass away together or I’ll have to go before her, because without her there is no home. I don’t think I could feel at home again with that much of a void inside me.

September 9, 2013 at 11:53 pm
  15. Martha DeMarco

Home is a place you go whether physical or not, when you are at peace and beautiful surroundings.

September 9, 2013 at 11:24 pm
  16. Aurelia

The feeling of home is determined by the people more than the place. Love, strength, compassion, caring, friendship… that’s home.

September 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm
  17. Heather Kalist

Family and friends celebrating together!

September 9, 2013 at 9:03 pm
  18. William G. Hayes

I can’t be with family and old friends so decorating with items that remind me of them makes my place feel at home – Dad’s ice cream scoop (and shot glass), throw pillows from Mom’s couch, GranGran’s recipes, PaPaw’s old boot scraper, Mama Jack’s fireplace screen….

September 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm
  19. Stephanie Lowder

Amyplace you are Treated Like Family, OR wherein you treat orhers like family

September 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm
  20. Eileen Montavon

Feels like home when family just drops in!!

September 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm
  21. Sheryl Montavon

feels like home when the entire family gets together

September 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm
  22. Mary Zelli

Home is being with family or friends, as I’m 500 miles away from my family. Basically it’s being surrounded by those you care about and those that care about you. It’s also being around fur babies–mine or somebody else’s doggies.

September 9, 2013 at 8:30 pm
  23. Shannon Irvine

My home is where my 7 fur babies and my husband are.

September 9, 2013 at 8:01 pm
  24. Craig Englert (@CraigEnglert)

Being around loved ones, it’s s easy as that

September 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm
  25. Sharon Kellermann

Cooking a good meal in the kitchen with my dog watching me hoping I drop something so she can have a treat

September 9, 2013 at 7:42 pm
  26. Mary Ann Lees

What makes a place feel like home to me is family, first of all, plus all the souvenirs of my foreign travels. Coming back into the USA is ALWAYS coming home for real. We are so lucky to live in this country.

September 9, 2013 at 7:07 pm
  27. Jeanne Johns

With my family around me, it feels like home!

September 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  28. Andrea

Home is with family, regardless of location. Family made me who I am and I couldn’t imagine being far away from them!

September 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm
  29. Trish

home is my dog curled up at me feet and my kids playing their guitars and singing

September 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm
  30. melissa strane

Home use to be in my mom’s house but she passed away 6 years ago so now I am not sure anymore. I wonder about this question a lot – What is home? I have my own family now and live in a beautiful city in a beautiful state but, if I am honest, home is where I grew up – safe, comfortable, cared for.

September 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm
  31. sharon

Charm, warmth and loving family surrounding me.

September 9, 2013 at 6:37 pm
  32. phting

Family and friends gathered together – that’s the essential part of feeling like home.

September 9, 2013 at 6:37 pm
  33. Nicole

Anywhere I am…with my family!

September 9, 2013 at 6:33 pm
  34. Derek Dupuis

When the people I love are with me, it feels like home.

September 9, 2013 at 6:28 pm