Who’s ready for another Publix Gift Card Giveaway? This week, we’re giving three cheers for our touchdown-worthy spin on jalapeño poppers. When the game starts heating up, you’ll need a way to feed the frenzy. Pass around a plate of these addicting Sausage Poppers and our Mini Corn Dogs to kick off the appetites of any football crowd.
12 large fresh jalapeño peppers
1½ cups all-purpose baking mix
½ (1-lb.) package ground pork sausage
1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 oz. cream cheese, softened
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds and membranes. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. Stir together all-purpose baking mix and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl until thoroughly blended.
3. Stuff peppers with sausage mixture. Place peppers on a lightly greased wire rack in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
4. Bake at 400° for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and thoroughly heated. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Mini Corn Dogs
2 (8-oz.) packages refrigerated crescent rolls
1 (14-oz.) package cocktail-size smoked sausages
¼ cup plain yellow cornmeal
32 (4-inch) wooden skewers
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Unroll crescent rolls, and separate into triangles. Cut each triangle in half lengthwise. Place 1 sausage on narrow end of dough triangle, and roll up, pressing dough around ends of sausage to enclose completely. Repeat procedure with remaining dough triangles and sausages.
2. Lightly roll each enclosed sausage in cornmeal. Place sausages 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.
3. Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Insert a wooden skewer into one end of each wrapped sausage, and serve with spicy ketchup.
Share your favorite game-day appetizer on twitter with the hashtag #PublixTailgate for your chance to win. Official rules here.
Don’t forget to vote for the South’s Best Tailgate!