Today’s Throwback photo comes from Birmingham reader Kelly Cummings. The striking photo features her Houston grandparents in an advertisement for the 1950s department store, Foley’s. The guys are no doubt dapper, but it’s Mrs. Joyce Merrill who steals the show and even hits some trends for fall 2013.
Although guys now rarely sport double-breasted pinstriped suits, and the ladies have traded gaucho-style pants for more flattering A-line skirts, we can still draw inspiration from this look. If you only take one thing from Joyce’s fashion sense, let it be that great style is always in season.
Where: Houston, Texas
Joyce’s Pearls of Wisdom: “Don’t be afraid of leopard print, bright colors and a little sparkle. Every day is worth celebrating, and your wardrobe should reflect that belief.”
Get The Look:
- A Deep Red Pout– is one of fall’s favorite beauty trends. Balance a bold color by muting shine. Get a velvety finish with a semi-matte shade like Nars Satin Lipstick in Afghan Red ($26).
- An Ankle Bootie –is a modern classic and works with everything from skirts to your favorite skinny jean. Priced under $100 this suede pair from Sole Society won’t break the bank ($80).
- A Pleated Midi Skirt- This season you’ll want at least a few pieces with a hemline below the knee. This triple threat from Warehouse, made in a faux leather fabric, has a little edge, a feminine flounce and pleats for a polished touch ($85).
- Hats are Back- We’ve seen everything from beanies to fedoras on the runway for fall, but we’re loving thisbig floppy version from Rag & Bone ($175).
- Leopard Print- is here to stay and you probably already have a few pieces in your closet. If you are new to the look, try a color combination that is nontraditional to the print. We love this blouse by Joie ($238) in black and white-a color combo that is a definite do this season.
- A Classic Fragrance- Nothing tops off an ensemble like a pretty scent. Like this week’s throwback style, Chanel No. 5 ($120) has stood the test of time.
Send us vintage pics of your most fashionable family member (mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, even your great aunt), to email@example.com for a chance to be featured. Include when and where the picture was taken, along with the best piece of style advice they ever gave you.