Hometown: New Orleans, Louisiana
Pearls of Wisdom: “Every woman’s hair is her crowning glory.”
This week’s throwback photo comes from the family album of our Assistant Homes Editor, Zoë Gowen. Her grandparents, New Orleans natives Virginia and Buddy Chiapella were snapped honey-mooning in New York City. The couple took a train to the city to get hitched while Buddy was on leave from the Navy.
Debonair in uniform, Buddy can’t seem to keep his loving gaze away from his new bride and we can’t either. Virginia’s style is lovely, classic, and easily translatable to 2013.
Get the Look:
- Embellished Sweater- Go day to night with an jewel-adorned sweater. Embellished at the shoulder, this one from J.Crew, (jcrew.com, $138) iS a merino-cashmere blend can be dressed up or down.
- Finishing Mascara- This fall is all about barely-there makeup finished with a few rich touches like a bold full lash line. Try Bobbi Brown’s Extreme Party Mascara, (bobbibrowncosmetics.com, $25) to maximize volume.
- Deep-Colored Nail Lacquer- Polish off a fall look with a dark nail color. We love OPI’s shade called Malaga Wine, (walgreens.com, $8).
- Fold-Over Clutch- Carry a clutch in a vivid color to add interest to any outfit. This one by DVF (saks.com, $195) in emerald-a must have color this season- is the perfect statement.
- Chunky Bracelets- Wear a bold yet elegant accent that just don’t go out of style. Tory Burch’s “T” Metal Stretch Bracelet is a sleek choice, (toryburch.com, $250).
- Relaxed Waves- Create volume and texture with this ceramic curling iron from Sarah Potempa, (sarahpotempa.com, $199). It’s rotating barrel will help you achieve perfect curls with ease.
- Healthy Tresses- Protect your hair from heat styling and give a silky finish by adding a protective product to wet hair before blow-drying. Redken’s Satinwear 02 Ultimate Blow-Dry Lotion (ulta.com, $18) is sure to do the trick.
Send us vintage pics of your most fashionable family member (mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, even your great aunt), to email@example.com for a chance to be featured. Include when and where the picture was taken, along with the best piece of style advice they ever gave you.