Today we are grateful for the South’s best comeback neighborhoods—areas that were once on the decline and are now revived by creatives and entrepreneurs committed to investing in the cities they love. From buzzing small-town streets to hip art districts in big cities, here are five of our favorite rising ‘hoods.
1. Austin’s South First Street. The town’s latest food hub is fueled by international eats and inventive mobile eateries. Read more
2. Downtown Roanoke. The once sleepy downtown is evolving into southern Virginia’s cultural hub. Read more
3. St. Louis’ Cherokee Street. A Mexican food district, is now enlivened with art galleries and late-night venues. Read more
4. Birmingham’s Avondale. This emerging area in the Magic City is home to some of the town’s most beloved bars, markets, and green spaces. Read more
5. Columbia’s Main Street. Residents have reclaimed the main thoroughfare, replacing shuttered buildings with craft bars, hip boutiques, and art studios. Read more
Does your town have an up-and-coming neighborhood? Tell us in the comments.