While other states are famous for dishes like clam chowder, lutefisk, and pizza (thin and deep-dish respectively), we’re thankful to be from the region famous for the best darn pie you’ve ever had, hands down, no question, shut your mouth.
Maine lobster rolls, California burritos, Jersey hot dogs, they’re all well and good, but we’ll take a slice of our mama’s pecan pie any day. Or Key lime. Or sweet potato. Or lemon chess. Can we have them all?
Here at Southern Living, we don’t take pie lightly. Each of our recipes goes through at least four tests to make sure that it’s worthy of your table. With that, these are five of our favorites from the past year:
1. Salted Caramel-Chocolate Pecan Pie: We did it. Presenting the ultimate pecan pie combining salty-sweet caramel with fudgy goodness and old-fashioned pecan flavor. We’re counting down the days till we can serve this at our Thanksgiving meal.
2. Roasted Cherry Hand Pies: We took the picnic classic to a new level with a vodka-spiked pie crust that’s bursting at the seams with deeply sweet cherries.
3. Piña Colada Icebox Pie: The next best thing to your recurring dream of lounging poolside in Miami with the Golden Girls.
4. Caramel Apple Blondie Pie: One of the best things about being Southern? We know when to respect tradition and when to mess with it. In this case, we took two American icons and joined them together to create one heck of a pie.
5. Mocha-Espresso Cream Pie: This one goes out to all the coffee lovers out there. With a chocolate cookie crust and creamy espresso-flavored filling, we’re surprised you aren’t preheating your oven right now.