Let’s get real: the Oscars are as much about the dresses as they are the cinematic achievement. (Thank you, Academy!) The hits, the misses, the gowns so iconic they merit their own Wikipedia page. Here, 10 of our favorite award-worthy looks of all time.
1. Jennifer Lawrence, 2013. Not even a stumble could dampen the Kentucky native’s spirit in this gorgeous Dior gown.
2. Joanne Woodward, 1957. The Oscar winner sewed this dress herself before the show!
3. Julia Roberts, 2001. This is the dress that spawned that aforementioned Wikipedia page: “Black and white Valentino dress of Julia Roberts”
4. Reese Witherspoon, 2006. Tennessee-darling Reese walked the line all the way to an Oscar that year in this vintage Christian Dior. (We found out how to get Reese’s red carpet look!)
5. Jennifer Garner, 2013. A ruffled train added drama to this plum Gucci number the Texan wore last year.
6. Vivien Leigh, 1940. Vivien represented our love for florals in this poppy-printed gown she wore when accepting an award for her role as Southern style icon Scarlett O’ Hara.
7. Sandra Bullock, 2010. America’s Sweetheart glittered brighter than an Oscar in Marchesa.
8. Octavia Spencer, 2012. The Alabama native accepted her first Academy Award (for The Help) in this gown designer Tadashi Shoji designed just for her.
9. Renée Zellweger, 2001. Renée donned vintage Jean Desses and stole the show in canary yellow.
10. Nicole Kidman, 1997. The Nashville transplant made red carpet history, outshining date Tom Cruse in this chartreuse, Dior stunner.
Who did we miss? Tell us in the comments!