Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Talking Tech. Returning for a second year, Charleston’s DigSouth is a five-day festival and two-day interactive conference. Think: startups and entrepreneurs talking tech culture in the Holy City. We’re looking forward to seeing what comes out of HACKCharleston, a 24-hour challenge to see who can build the smartest new app. On Friday, editor Erin Shaw Street will speak on a panel about technology and The South, alongside Cheri Leavy of The Southern Coterie. For tickets, visit digsouth.com.
2. Must-Read Book Goes On Pre-Order. We love Austin-based lifestyle blogger Camille Styles (yes, that’s her real name). Her site celebrates stress-free, modern entertaining, and is packed with great tips and inspiration. Now her first book is available for pre-order. Called “Camille Styles Entertaining: Inspired Gatherings and Effortless Style,” we predict it to be a hit.
3. Music Festival Right on The Beach. Kicking off music festival season right is Rock The Ocean’s Tortuga Music Festival. Last year the event drew more than 25,000 concertgoers to the sands of Fort Lauderdale. The country music-focused festival takes place April 12-13 and features big names like last night’s ACM Awards co-host Luke Bryan and performers Dierks Bentley and Sheryl Crow. Proceeds from Tortuga benefit marine conservation organizations, including the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation.
4. Plan Your Party Right. Bob Vardaman of Montgomery, Alabama, has been producing events since 1988, so we’d say he knows a thing or two about planning a good party. His recently published book, Party Maker, is full of inspiration through photos and descriptions of his well-planned weddings, birthdays, and more. Party Maker’s official launch is this Friday, April 11, at the Let There Be Art fundraiser in Columbus, Georgia. He’ll also be signing copies at Let There Be Art’s Big Top Brunch on Sunday, April 13.
5. Spring Gardening How-Tos. Join the Southern Living Plant Collection at select Home Depot stores this spring and learn how to prep your home and landscape for spring guests. Our garden lifestyle expert Carmen Johnston will give easy demonstrations on how to put together container gardens. Carmen will be at the Home Depot on Lemmon Avenue in Dallas, Texas, this Saturday. For more locations and dates, click here.
Have tips on buzz-worthy news hitting the region? Email us at email@example.com