Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. The Kentucky Derby, of course. Opening Day is this Friday, so keep tabs on The Daily South throughout this week for posts on all things Derby, and follow Style Editor Stephanie Granada (@SGranada) as she will be on the red carpet. If you can’t make it to Arlington Park, find a Derby party in your area, such as Durham, North Carolina’s Day at the Derby this Saturday at the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club. They’ll be mixing up all three Triple Crown cocktails: Kentucky Derby’s Mint Julep, Belmont Stakes’ White Carnation, and Preakness’ Black-Eyed Susan. Cheers!
2. James Beard Foundation Awards. This Friday kicks off the 2014 James Beard events with theme Sounds of the City, celebrating and exploring the relationship between music and food. Deputy Editor Jennifer Cole (@jennifervcole) will be covering the events all weekend, including the highly anticipated award ceremony in New York City on Monday, May 5. Notable Southern nominations include Pêche Seafood Grill in New Orleans for Best New Restaurant, Harlen Wheatley of Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky, for Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional, and Katie Button of Cúrate in Asheville, North Carolina, for Rising Star Chef of the Year.
3. JOHNNYSWIM. Husband and wife duo JOHNNYSWIM will release their debut full-length album Diamonds this Tuesday on Big Picnic Records. Although now based in Los Angeles, Southern natives Abner Ramirez and Amanda Sudano-Ramirez met in Nashville and continue to write and record their impeccable songwriting in the Volunteer State. Stream the album ahead of time here, and catch them at Jazz Fest this Friday.
4. SFA meets Empire State South. Join Atlanta’s Empire State South team this Sunday for a night of streaming several Southern Food Alliance short films. Bring your own blankets and chairs, and they’ll set up the big screen on their bocce lawn. Best thing about it? It’s completely free. For more info, click here.
5. Austin Fashion Week. The sixth annual AFW continues on until this Saturday with events showcasing both national and Texas-based talent. Some of our favorite events include tonight’s shopping event featuring local brands and Friday’s Designer All Stars event highlighting six Project Runway designers’ collections. For tickets and the full list of events, click here.
5 ½. Anne Neilson Fine Art opening. Anne Neilson, painter and author from Charlotte, North Carolina, will debut her retail gallery at Dilworth Artisan Station in Charlotte this Thursday with a grand opening party. From 6 to 9 p.m., her work–most notable is her Angels Series–and other artists’ work will be displayed and available for purchase.